ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I live in Wisconsin and just order a 2012 WRX premium in DGM last Saturday. I've been lurking the form for the past month to get familiar with the car and I'm really excited as this is my first new car as well. Right now I have a 97 grand AM SE, which gets the job done but I don't think will last much longer. The dealer that I ordered it from was not the best experience I had and will explain below. Sorry in advance for the very long post.

What I did was create an email that I sent to all the Subaru dealers in the state.

"I'm in the market for a base 2012 base WRX Premium 5-Door in Dark Gray Metallic and I've made a list of dealers to email. I've done some homework, and I know the approximate invoice cost of the car. What I'm doing now is emailing each dealer on my list to find out what each wants as a markup or markdown from factory invoice cost. I would expect to be able to order the make, model, and style I'm looking for at the markup or markdown you quote. So that everyone is on a level playing field, I'm emailing each dealer only once, and I'm not saying what any other dealer is bidding. I assume you will let me see a copy of the invoice for any car I order to buy. Are there any charges that you will expect me to pay for advertising, document preparation, or other services even though they are not listed on the factory invoice? Also, are there any dealer add-ons, like rustproofing, pinstripes, or wheel locks, that I'll be required to pay for?"

The first to reply was the internet manager at Wilde Subaru in Waukesha, then about 8 more trickled in within a week. The internet manager at Wilde, who is really nice, sent the info I requested and had the lowest price of $28,267.70 out the door. I then emailed the other dealers seeing if they could meet or beat that price and one was lower by about $25. I decided to stay with Wilde because they are at a more convent location for me than the other dealer.

I think email them back some questions I had and to make sure we were on the same page.

"I have a few questions.

1) When ordering the car, how much of a deposit do you need and is it refundable?
2) When ordering the car, when do I pay for it?
3) About how long would it take to get the car?
4) Can we have a contract ready, but not signed, with the final drive off total before I order?

$26,605.00 Car Price
+ $179.00 Service Fee
+ $1,339.20 5% Outagamie County Tax
+ $69.50 Title/Registration
+ $75.00 New Plates
--------
$28,267.70 Final Drive Off Total

If we can get a contract ready, but not signed, with the final drive off total above and the deposit is refundable I would like to order the 2012 Subaru WRX Premium 5-Door in dark gray metallic as soon as we can.

As for financing I have been pre-approved for the amount needed after a $6,000 down payment. But, I would also like to see what you can offer me."

They email me back promptly answering the questions I had, we were on the same page, and confirmed the $28,267.70 out the door price. I also told them in that email that I had another dealer $25 cheaper but still would go with them. That experience was good, but when I came in to order the car, that's a different story.

They gave me a call and said that they could order the car over the phone since I live a far distance away from them. But I wanted to come in and meet the people at the dealer and double check the numbers. I went to Wilde Friday evening with a positive attitude, a folder with the emails exchanged, pre approval for a loan, and a google spread sheet on my iPhone that calculated the prices.

My sales consultant, lets call them "Vick", greeted me and had the contract on their desk waiting for me. We talked for a bit then I looked at the contract and punched in the numbers to make sure they added up to the price the internet manager agreed on. It was $30 higher. :confused: I refer back to the email and they check the numbers and confirmed it was off by that amount. Their reason was the person who wrote up the contract didn't read the entire email, ok, I can see that. Vick correct it by writing it in the "other conditions of sale" section of the contract. They had the anticipated delivery date as that days day which I made them cross out and change to the proper date they said the car would arrive. Also, the did not have the color or trim on there anywhere.

I ask to see if they can re print the contract because of all the scribble but Vick said they couldn't because the manager, lets call him "Zed", was not in. I mention to Vick about the other dealer that was $25 cheaper and asked if they could match it. My sales consultant Vick called the sales manager, let's call him "Mich", and asked if they could do it for that. They did, which I thought was nice. Vick looked at the contract and said that they'll just print a new one since this one was getting to messy. Funny, I thought you couldn't print a new one this evening because Zed was out…:screwy:

So Vick comes back with the new printed contract saying they gave me an additional $25 discount because it was easier to do the numbers. Sweet, but I check the numbers again and it was nowhere near the price, it was $147 above it! :eek3: I had Vick and Mich go thought it and they came up with the same higher number as I did. I asked why that was and Mich just stood there with a befuddled look on his face trying to come up with an excuse. He stuttered a few incomplete words and said he'll go back and re-do the contract again.

So Mich comes from the back room again with the 3rd contract and I check the numbers, finally they work out to the number we agreed to which is $28,242.60 final out the door price. I look at all the info and numbers one more time then pay the $500 deposit to order the car. I get the receipt then Vick asks me to sign the contract. I say no because I specifically said in the emails that I wanted to get the contract ready by not signed. Vick gets upset and intimidates me by saying they need me to sign before they can order and walks off to refund the deposit. Instead of refunding the deposit Vick get's Mich and tells me the same thing. I told them I'm not signing anything and that you guys said I can order the car over the phone which there would be no way I could sign anything. Mich again is befuddled and stairs at me for the longest time trying to come up with something. He again says I need to sign, I again said you guys didn't need a signature if I ordered off the phone. :nono: After another long blank stare he says, ok, ok, that's fine we don't need your signature to order the car.

I ask for a copy of the contract so I have a copy when I come back to make sure nothing has changed. He says I need to sign it then he can give me the yellow back copy. I can see that, so I ask if I can get a photocopy of it, he says no. I ask why and he said we can't do that without a signature. I then ask if I can take a photo of it, he hesitantly says sure. If I can take a photo of it surely you can photocopy it. Mich finally agrees for it to be copied and Vick goes and makes a copy.

Alright, everything is all set and the stick their hands out for a handshake, I hesitantly gave them both one. On my way out I check the 5-door STI they had in the show room. Then I realized they did not put if it was either a sedan or 5-door. I ask Vick why it's not on there and tells me there is a price difference between them, and I told here there is not. So we go back to Vick's desk and we check, sure enough there was no price difference. So Vick puts the model code on the contract and re photocopies if for me. Finally after about an hour and a half I left with the car ordered.

I really wanted this to be a good experience and had good expectations because the prompt and niceness of the internet manager. I never lost my composure and acted in a professional manner the whole time. Again this is my first new car and it's a big investment so I wanted to make sure everything was right and that I wouldn't get bit in the ass for something I overlooked.

tl:dr
Went to the dealership to order car, they BS'd and lied to me, had to have 3 contracts written up because of their mistakes. Left with a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry you had such a poor time at the dealership. However it sounds like you should take pride in sticking to your guns and not getting pushed around by stingy salesmen. Hopefully when your Rex arrives you will just have to sign some papers and be off to enjoy your new ride. Congrats on the order.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience but, it sounds like you came out on top! Did they say how long it would be before the car arrived?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was shocked with the dealer. But, it was a learning experience and I think I did get a good deal out of it. They said 8-10 weeks, and that was said on Nov 29th. I got the VON # and an email from SOA on the 5th.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts