ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So RCE screwed up my order for their wagon springs and I can't really wait another two weeks for them to get shipped, but those are the only springs I know of that are a direct fit for a wagon.

Is there another option, or do I just have to get sedan springs and spacers? I don't like the idea of that for some reason...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe swift also makes wagon springs. What year is the car? As you probably know, you will need to match your rear top hats to the diameter of the springs you use. '02-'03 are different from 04+. The struts are different as well, but there are small machined spacer washers you can buy to make 02-03 struts work with 04+ rear top hats.

I have a 2002 WRX wagon and I decided on STi take off springs. I put them on the car about 2 years ago with Konis. I have 1/2" spacers in the rear. The spacers actually canceled out any drop the springs gave, so the front end went down slightly, and the rear sits exactly as it did.

I always have stuff in my trunk for work, and i'm in a band, so I drive around with heavy guitar amps in the back quite often. I've never had any problems with the rear sagging under weight. The car handles quite well. The springs are stiff for sure, but it's fine for a daily driver.

I was dead set on getting wagon specific springs at first. But after spending some time with the STi springs, i'm happy with the setup. My other car is an M3, which (if i'm being honest) handles better and rides better. So my only complaint would be that the ride quality is a little jarring for the handling you get in return. But that's a comparison to other platforms, not to other WRX setups. I've never driven a WRX wagon on Swift springs or RCE springs to compare my setup to.

Hope that helps.

-Nick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an 03.

And I'm a drummer; that's why I went with the wagon. All my musician friends always tell me they wish they bought a Subaru instead of the van or suv they drive.

STI takeoff springs are stock springs from someone's sti? (Noob question I'm sure.) The way I understand it is an STI owner wanting to use koni's would need struts from a wrx; maybe I'm wrong. But what would I need to put an sti spring on my car? New tophats/struts/blah blah blah.

That might be an inexpensive solution, plus I kinda like the idea of not dropping the car but just stiffening it up.

And you're right about the tophats; would've needed the tophats even with the rce wagon springs, something I didn't know until recently.

This is turning out to be a lot more expensive than I originally thought. I guess I need to look into sti springs. Or you could just tell me what else I would need :hope:

As of now I'm driving on a saggy rear end with blown shocks and bald, cupped tires, in the rain. Thanks a lot, RCE!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's an 03.

And I'm a drummer; that's why I went with the wagon. All my musician friends always tell me they wish they bought a Subaru instead of the van or suv they drive.

STI takeoff springs are stock springs from someone's sti? (Noob question I'm sure.) The way I understand it is an STI owner wanting to use koni's would need struts from a wrx; maybe I'm wrong. But what would I need to put an sti spring on my car? New tophats/struts/blah blah blah.

That might be an inexpensive solution, plus I kinda like the idea of not dropping the car but just stiffening it up.

And you're right about the tophats; would've needed the tophats even with the rce wagon springs, something I didn't know until recently.

This is turning out to be a lot more expensive than I originally thought. I guess I need to look into sti springs. Or you could just tell me what else I would need :hope:

As of now I'm driving on a saggy rear end with blown shocks and bald, cupped tires, in the rain. Thanks a lot, RCE!
Yes, STi takeoffs are springs from an STi. There are USDM and JDM STi springs. I have the regular USDM, which I bought for $50 off the forums. STi's here were obviously '04 and up, so the springs need to be mated to '04+ rear top hats. The fronts are the same. I picked up some used (but in nice shape) tops hats for like $40 or so.

The STi springs will drop right into your stock struts, or any other strut made to take an OEM diameter spring (read: not coilover springs). However, the machining on the top of rear struts designed for the '02-'03 WRX are different from the '04+. The strut shaft won't bolt into the top hat properly. This can create clunks. There are spacers made to alleviate this (made by Turn in Concepts). TiC Scooby921 Strut Spacers - Springs & Shocks

When buying suspension parts, you need to know if the things you are buying are designed for the '02-'03 WRX, or for the '04+ WRX. You're mainly concerned about the rear. Also, I believe front Wagon struts may be different than sedan front struts. It's been a while though, i'm not positive on that. But anyways...

You will need:
-Springs (if they're '02-'03 rear type, you won't need the different rear top hats. '04+ type springs will require '-04+ rear top hats)
-Struts (if they are '02-'03, the rears will need those spacers if you're running '04+ rear top hats)

You may need:
-'04+ rear top hats
-TIC Spacers (linked above).

FWIW, i'm running Konis with the STi springs. The Konis are inserts that get installed into your old Strut bodies after you remove the damper from them. I found a set of brand new, never installed Konis on the forums for $600. They were already put into housings, which was nice. If I recall New Konis were like $800. You can get some decent used ones for $450-600, but be wary when buying used dampers. The other common options are Tokico D-specs and KYB AGX. IMO, the Konis are better dampers. KYB's and Tokicos are like Ford and Chevy, some people like one, some like the other. They're both a little cheaper than Konis.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
http://www.kronosperformance.com/sto...roducts_id=627

Is the link he sent me. H&R Springs.

fiveightandten, thank you! That is exactly what I should have read before I started spending money, lol.

I had also talked to Tony at Turn in Concepts, he was a lot of help for me too and pointed me in the direction of Swift Spec R Springs, 04+ Group N tophats (an upgrade in stiffness), and the spacer for the rear. Which is kind of what I was trying to avoid, but looks like I have no other choice and now that I think about it I'm not too mad about. I will probably end up with this setup, plus the koni inserts I have, and I'll just have to wait and save a little more money.

He also told me Swift makes an 02-03 spec spring that you would not have to upgrade your tophats, but they only drop the ride height and don't change the spring rate much. Plus he said most 02-03 stock tophats are toast anyways, which I don't know for sure yet on my car but would probably agree with judging by the condition of EVERY rubber hose in my engine compartment.

Thank you for your help guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts