ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello WRX community, I am brand new not only to this community, but to WRX's. Have always been intrigued by them and I am simply in the right place at the right time to buy this 2011. Unfortunately the owner my neighbors son passed away unexpectedly. His father has every receipt of service and the car was his son's baby to say the least.

I can't wait to test drive her! Please give me some advice as to what I should be looking, listening for when test driving?

Secondly was the 2011 year considered a good, great year for WRX's, can she be modified to perform like an STI?

Most of what I have read on newer models is the STI is for the track and WRX is for the street, but WRX out performs STI in certain measurements, like 0-60 five spd less changes than six spd for example.

I am looking to keep her stock if the test drive is what I am anticipating, if it is lack luster then I am one to mod. Previous owner of higher powered American V8's, but my first cars where all manuals, Honda's, Toyota Supra's then on to Cobra's, "04 Z06 ( I am dating myself ) etc.

I am looking to get back to my start of owning a toy that I can have a blast driving. Doesn't have to be the fastest or the best in anyway, just a hell of a ride.

Thank you so much for your help and advice, greatly appreciated!!!

Canuck 66

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
If you want fast buy a faster car. The 11 is fine, mine was great. Really miss it.

Both cars are equally capable on the road mostly. The sti has the advantage of having more torque out of boost, mechanical lsd, and the dccd. Those make every day driving a little nicer in my opinion.

As for modifying the wrx to match the performance of the sti. Yes, but no, but yes if you have lots of money and very little sense. By the time you get the transmission, dccd control equipment, lsd, all supporting suspension and drivetrain components to make the swap happen you are in crap tons of money, more than the car is worth. Plus you'll still have the ej255 with single avcs, higher compression. To rectify that you peel off another 10k and by the time you are done you have a wrx that doesn't perform as well as the sti and is worth nothing.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love it, tell me what you really think XJman. Hey that's what I need to hear, not interested at all in that investment level. This would be a toy that I have fun with and give to my son in three years for College. Thanks for your honesty!

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
They are dandy and a blast stock. They are fast enough to kill you dead in a crash and have killed many young men and women who had no business behind the wheel of something like it.

I highly recommend owning one wrx/sti. Super fun ride.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will let you know how the test drive goes. Thank you again for your honesty. At minimum i can conclude that mods are not an option. I either love it or not, as is.

Thank you!

Hope to report back.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After my test drive I decided to make an offer on the 2011. It was accepted. I am now the proud owner of a 2011 WRX. I was quite frankly amazed at the speed at boost for this car. It was indeed a blast to drive, like on rails, great handling, it felt like the turbo was building at 3000 and then completely peaked at 5000 with a thrust of power. Did I mention the fun factor, damn.

I have owned 500 plus at rear wheel vehicles and this WRX had me asking what more do I need?

I agree everyone needs to own a WRX, STI in there car line up.

Did I mention she is completely stock, yes they still exist.

So I want to learn about enhanced intake and exhaust. Please give me some advice on opening up that exhaust for more "note" as is base tone. And letting her breath as much as needed.

Thank you so much for your help so far XJman!!!

·
Premium Member
10,754 Posts
The factory intake will easily support more than 350awhp. Leave it. If you so change it the car has to be tuned specifically for that intake. They are not mix and match a Cobb intake requires a tune for a Cobb intake. You can't use that same tune on a ets intake.

Exhaust note doesn't specifically get deeper. You can't add bass but you can take out some of the tin can sound. I prefer the Corsa cat back personally. loud enough to hear when cruising, thunderous when standing on it.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, I have known Corsa exhausts to be tinny on v8's and I have stayed away from them, but that doesn't matter I am in a new realm, I have so much to learn about this "boxter" engine (that is the correct term?)?. The engine quite frankly sound great to begin with, just looking for more as always.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru WRX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
XJman, thank you for your advice I will look into the Corsa! Early in this discussion you shared some terms I am obviously not familiar with. "ej255" is that the engine designation? And "mechanical lsd, and the dccd" - can you share what this is and where can I go to dive in deep and learn about my new WRX's mechanical's, besides this great forum?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts