ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 2004 wrx with a invidia TBE and up pipe,stage 3 clutch with Sti short block protuned only at 12psi stock 420's are maxed.put down 207hp and 225tq on a Dyno dynamics dyno. my goals is streetable power and 300hp. i am thinking about going wth sti pinks, walboro fuel pump, sti top mount, Vf 34, EWG and maybe an intake.and i want a bov but i know its not neccesary.

will that help reach my goal of 300hp what are your opioions? i was thinking maybe bigger injectors(650's).how much power can the tranny hold before i should start to worry?

·
Registered
905 Posts
hey guys i have a 2004 wrx with a invidia TBE and up pipe,stage 3 clutch with Sti short block protuned only at 12psi stock 420's are maxed.put down 207hp and 225tq on a Dyno dynamics dyno. my goals is streetable power and 300hp. i am thinking about going wth sti pinks, walboro fuel pump, sti top mount, Vf 34, EWG and maybe an intake.and i want a bov but i know its not neccesary.

will that help reach my goal of 300hp what are your opioions? i was thinking maybe bigger injectors(650's).how much power can the tranny hold before i should start to worry?

id say go bigger injectors, like 700cc+, fmic, and a bigger turbo selection. you might be able to hit 300whp with it *maybe*, but you will definitely nail it with a 20G.

not sure about '04 trannies, id say try and keep it below 330wtq. even that might be pushing it, though.

the earlier you shove air into your engine the higher the torque will be.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OwJHl8cRE38

Both tuned my me, after some more tuning the vf34 car went hit [email protected], this was on stock 06 wrx injectors and minimal mods. On a dynojet it peaked at 304.xxHP/280.xxTQ. I will try to find the thread of the exact mods list. I have no doubt that with race gas and a frontmount he would have been in the 11's :)

He never had problems with his tranny. You can make 200hp or 600hp if you break it it is because of the driver not because of the power. 650's wouldn;t be a bad idea to give you a little more headroom.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
18g will get you to 300whp, vf34 might not. ask you tuner.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
18g will get you to 300whp, vf34 might not. ask you tuner.
+1

My car makes 280awhp/awtq uncorrected, and about 20 less on both with SAE correction. If you are set on 300whp, then you should go with a bigger turbo. The vf34 can do it, but you'd be tuning towards the high end where the turbo is going to be less efficient.

I wanted to hit 300whp too, and if I was to put a meth kit on the car, I'm sure I could hit it easily with another 2psi or so. I think about it somedays more than others, but after looking at the costs involved with parts/install/tuning - I just can't justify it enough to swipe the visa.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do yal think bout vf43?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
what do yal think bout vf43?
I think that's a vf39 with a slightly larger wastegate. That's going to have slightly less power potential than the vf34. I wonder if it's still prone to cracking on the exhaust side like the vf39.

If you want to stick with IHI's VF series then you'll likely be looking at the vf22.

Otherwise, 18g/20g would get you where you are looking to be.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you want to stick with IHI's VF series then you'll likely be looking at the vf22.

Otherwise, 18g/20g would get you where you are looking to be.
quoted for truth. and besides, IHI's dont have an adjustable wastegate actuator arm, MHI's do. just another nice feature on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would an adjustable wastegate acuator matter? if i go EWG? and i think 39's are still prone to cracking.i would go 18g but one of my bestfriends is going with an 18g set up. and i wouldn't want copy his setup in any way and if igot a 20g i would want to go full out with front mount, 3inch inlet,ewg, and gears for no worries, but thats way to much cash idont have

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I think that's a vf39 with a slightly larger wastegate. That's going to have slightly less power potential than the vf34. I wonder if it's still prone to cracking on the exhaust side like the vf39.
I read up on this before and apparently the vf43 is the same as the vf39 (except maybe the smaller wastegate idk) but the 43 is the fix for the exhaust side cracking of the 39

·
Registered
491 Posts
if you go EWG, then an adjustable wastegate won't matter. However, not choosing an 18g because your friend is using one is a bad choice IMO. On an aggressive, high octane, meth, or just a lucky tune will get you 300whp with a vf-3x. An 18g has a better chance of getting you to 300whp, while also holding more power until redline.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i really want a 20g but would i have to run a front mount or would i be ok with a sti top mount?

·
Registered
491 Posts
A friend of mine at Harman Motive runs a 20g with meth on an STi topmount, and makes ~400whp/tq. I think he was running about 340ish without meth

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the only thing stopping me form the 20g is the tranny. i don't want to be in a situation where i have to upgrade gears after i install the 20g.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
the only thing stopping me form the 20g is the tranny. i don't want to be in a situation where i have to upgrade gears after i install the 20g.
Don't abuse it. I broke my 5speed with a vf34 - and I'm fairly sure it was the occasional quick shift and launch that killed it. Don't launch, don't shift hard and fast, and you should be ok.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't even launch my car now. i don't want to because i know i will get addicted. and i have always tried my best to baby the tranny even if slow shifting was guna make me lose the race. rather lose a race that lose a tranny.thanks for the help everyone.now im thinking bout the 20g

·
Registered
491 Posts
Don't let the 20g hold you back because you are afraid of the tranny. People have broken the tranny running stock levels, and other has run 11.5 sec quarter miles on them. It really all depends how hard you SHIFT, not DRIVE! Make nice, smooth shifts, slip the clutch a lot when you launch, and only really mash the gas when the gear is engaged. Your main concern is the lag associated with the 20g, so make sure that is what you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts