ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I know there have been a plethora of posts about springs, but this is the suspension and handling section. So, with that in mind, I am new to the forums and was wondering what kit is preferred between the eibachs and the tein spring kits. I know the eibachs lower the front only .2 to .3 more than the rear while the teins lower the front roughly 1.3 inches more in the front than the rear. Now I know that might make the car look more "even" (which is very important to me) yet I've always believed Eibach to make the best springs on the planet. Just looking for opinions or comparisons. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had both, and I prefer the Tein springs. When I had the Eibachs on the car, I couldn't get it to take an alignment. Nobody I've talked to had the same problem, so it's probably just the set I got. In my opinion, however, the Eibachs really don't solve the front wheelgap problem, and the Teins to a much better job.

Handling differences between the two are negligible in my opinion. Get sway bars/shocks if you want to improve handling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tein is the top seller in Japan. They are adjustable and can be over hauled. Eibach is good when matched with Ground Control sleeves and Koni yellows. But still not a true coilover.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Hes only talking about springs so I'm guessing hes not looking for coil over-esque performance...

What year WRX? Aren't the 02-03 springs uhm, "weird" for a lack of better words...I have been hearing reports of odd spring rates for them...but people rave about the 04's.

I'm in the market for a set of springs too so bump for more comments...I was split between Prodrive/Eibach/Tein.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'll just say that any spring designed to 'solve the wheel gap problem' is usually not going to provide the best performance. If all that you care about is how your car looks, then do what works for you there I guess. We've all seen people do more atrocious things. :wiggles:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
from a thread on Nabisco:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622435

"EIBACH 1.3" 1.0"
171lbs 160-188progressive
great quality, designed for stock struts. Comfortable ride. those w/ 02-03's often hate front fender gap, difficult to decide for 04' if same or improved, not many pics avail. affordable at around $225

PRODRIVE 20mm claimed 20mmclaimed
1.5" (observed) .5"
spring rate not released, some say approx 215frnt 195r
some state linear, [email protected] states 04's have"two stage progression"
Those who have them love them, also supposed to work well with stock strut, appearance is great, some say front is too low, and compromises handling. $300 before shipping makes them the most expensive.

Tein H-TECH 1.8" .07"
229 196
again, some who have them love them, others speculate they are too harsh for stock struts. The appearance is sweet. at $190 shipped, makes them the best buy. But to me, if prodrives are being criticized for too low up front, compromising handling, what about these? I'd like to lean towards them, and want someone to convince me why I should or shouldnt choose them, or why its worth over $100 more to get the prodrives. also , not sure if these are linear or progressive.

Espelir ASD 35mm (1.38") 20mm (.79")
252 197
found these through research. They seem to look like an awesome alternative through both appearance and handling. They are priced moderately at about $260. a very few post that they love them. A very few post horrible sound and poor quality. World one praises and sells them. I'd love to be confident in choosing them, and venturing out to be different, but
I'm too afraid to take a chance on a shady product. also not sure on progressive/linear"

'04 STi Pinks
- 258 lbs F and 218 lbs R
- 0.8" drop F and 0.8" drop R

·
Registered
37 Posts
SERacing said:
Hes only talking about springs so I'm guessing hes not looking for coil over-esque performance...

What year WRX? Aren't the 02-03 springs uhm, "weird" for a lack of better words...I have been hearing reports of odd spring rates for them...but people rave about the 04's.

I'm in the market for a set of springs too so bump for more comments...I was split between Prodrive/Eibach/Tein.
I have heard the same reports about the 02 Teins, but I have driven the car on a road course twice and have driven the hell out of it on the street without problems. I think many of the "reports" we hear are from keyboard physics wizards that read the spring rates and conclude that they can`t possibly drive well. I`ve had the springs on the car for over 20K miles and I would disagree.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh yeah... and so I can contribute to the knowledge pool and not just hijack the thread... lol.

I currently own eibach prokits on my se-r. The ride is noticably stiffer all around and handling is noticably better as well. The eibach's seem to have a good medium... good, but not GREAT, handling, and good but not GREAT ride. You could get a better ride with worse handling or better handling with a worse ride, but eibach found the nice middle ground... my only complaint about them is they arent low enough. If you want lower than the prokits are... you might consider sportlines, if you are set on eibachs... I was, they make a quality spring.

·
Registered
598 Posts
first thing i think you need to realize is that there is more to handling than just springs. using stiff spring rates is probably not the best way to go about making a car handle better, atleast for a daily driven street car. what makes the stock WRX so good is it's spring allow for it to handle well while still being able to soak up bumps. this is why i like the prokits which is also the SPT springs for subaru. since i live in NH i have to deal with snow and crappy roads. i need springs that will give me a nice looking drop while improving the stock ride without making it too harsh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
right, but springs are cheapest way to safely acheive the lowered look. So its nice to just see the pros and cons of each set and chose for what you want. I'm happy with the eibachs on ride and handling but not for height, im would like it a little lower... but for improved handling swaybars can really make a noticable difference (among other things).

·
Registered
37 Posts
WRXSleeper said:
first thing i think you need to realize is that there is more to handling than just springs. using stiff spring rates is probably not the best way to go about making a car handle better, atleast for a daily driven street car. what makes the stock WRX so good is it's spring allow for it to handle well while still being able to soak up bumps. this is why i like the prokits which is also the SPT springs for subaru. since i live in NH i have to deal with snow and crappy roads. i need springs that will give me a nice looking drop while improving the stock ride without making it too harsh.
You´re absolutely correct about springs not making a huge difference in handling, although I do think they do some good. Good shocks and swaybars do the job for handling IMO.

I think I must be spoiled by the smooth roads out here in AZ, as I´ve talked to a couple people up north that say the Teins ride too low and/or harsh for them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts