ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
It was a waste of my freakin time and money. One of worst movies I have seen. Don't see it. It was so bad I was thinking about walking out but my girlfriend wanted to stay because she was convinced something was going to happen. Nothing ever did.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WRC_Obsessed said:
It was a waste of my freakin time and money. One of worst movies I have seen. Don't see it. It was so bad I was thinking about walking out but my girlfriend wanted to stay because she was convinced something was going to happen. Nothing ever did.

damn, that blows. i was hoping it would be decent and blair witch type freaky.

·
Registered
467 Posts
this is long - sorry... ***SPOILERS BELOW!!!***

Just wondering - how many of you that have seen it are divers? If you don't dive, it may be very boring for you indeed...

My wife and I got certified 2 years ago and the premise of being stranded/left behind is certainly a plausible one although nowadays, the crew tends to go more by a roll call before and after the dives. Of course, this really depends on what shop you dive with - some are definately more reputable than others. But you know, when you're down there, it can be very easy to lose your sense of direction or stay down too long, especially if you become entranced with all the sea life you're seeing under water.
For instance, we recently went diving in Miami and the shop that we went with basically just drove us out and dumped us off. No Divemaster, no guides. Just "jump in the water and see what you see. Over here we've got so and so and on the other side of the boat we've got this other stuff..." So in that particular scenario, getting stranded may actually have been possible. Actually, one of the ladies we were diving with accidently got onto another boat before she realized she was on the wrong dive boat.

Just saw the movie today and although I have to agree that it certainly wasn't the best movie I've seen recently, it did kind of disturb me. It was a matinee, so I don't quite feel as ripped off... But I'll tell ya - I'm never straying far from a divemaster and I'm never diving with another company that doesn't have divemasters diving with you.

From a Yahoo review:

"This movie was based on the true story of Queensland's Great Barrier Reef Tragedy - about a couple, Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who took a much needed vacation that turned into a disaster. They went on a diving expedition with 26 people on a charter vessel owned by Outer Edge Dive Co. from Australia, Sunday, January 25 1998. While Tom and Eileen were still scuba diving, the other 24 divers had finished early, and boarded the vessel. The Captain, Jack Nairn, neglected to do a head count and just assumed everyone had boarded. He was also in a hurry to get back to port because there was a party going on and he wanted to hook up with his mistress there. (But the movie doesn't touch on that part) Anyways, so the charter boat goes back to port, leaving Tom and Eileen Lonergan stranded. They died out in the ocean, but their bodies were never found. Searchers had found pieces of their gear that had washed ashore on the beach, and diving weights at the bottom of the reef. Eileen's wet suit was found with rips in it. There was also a slate that was found by a fisherman 6 months after they disappeared, that said "Please Help Us. We've been stranded by Outer Edge Diving Co. in the Ocean. Please find us soon before we die. The Lonergans- and it was dated Monday January 26th 8Am, a day after they had been stranded. It wasn't until 2 DAYS after they were stranded, on Tuesday, that they were discovered missing and searches began. The coroners had theories of what happened, mostly 2 main ones, which included they either died of dehydration/exhaustion and were eaten by sharks, or they died strictly by being eaten by sharks. None the less, it was clear that they had suffered a long horrible death."

·
Banned
5,806 Posts
Re: this is long - sorry... ***SPOILERS BELOW!!!***

cannibal869 said:
Just wondering - how many of you that have seen it are divers? If you don't dive, it may be very boring for you indeed...
I'm a diver, and I will NEVER see this movie because a very similar situation happenend to me 5 years ago in Cozumel. :eek3:
It's scary as ****. Story time!
I was on a night dive, the sun had just gone down, and we get dropped off (me and 2 others, + a divmaster) somewhere in between Cozumel and Cancun, closer to Cozumel. But we do the dive, we're getting ready to come back up... look up and see hundreds of jellyfish floating along on the surface. Crap. When that happens, I was taught to purge your regulater (basically blow a lot of air out). It's supposed to disperse the jellyfish, which is good because they sting, and it hurts like hell. So anyway, we do that, get to the surface with about 20 stings between the 4 of us. One even got in my brothers wet suit :tongue:
Now..usually the dive boat finds you pretty quickly, at night it can take a minute or two because they have to look for your lights or follow your bubbles. 10 minutes goes by and there's no sign of a boat. 20 minutes, we start to worry a little bit. 30 minutes... at that point we decide to start swimming towards Cozumel (what else are you gonna do) Cozumel would have been a 3 or 4 hour swim, maybe more with 60-80lbs of equipment on your back. I honestly don't know if we would have been able to kick that far without drifting off to Cuba. But about 15 minutes after we start kicking, a random dive boat from another operation happened to come by and pick us up. Took us back to where we came from, and we promptly got ****faced off margaritas. I think the boat guy was fired :eek:
Looking back, and knowing that we weren't devoured by sea creatures, it was kind of a fun exerience. You've never seen so many stars, laying on your back, at night, in the middle of the ocean. Plus the fact that you're floating alone, with 1000 feet of water under you. It's really a peaceful thing, until you think about the 18 foot sharks that may rip your dangling feet off

That's a true story by the way.
:cool:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Its a long and painful death being stranded out there with sharks. They should punish the captain by stranding him the same way he did the Lonergan's. Then add it to the movie. Now the movie should be a little more interesting.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hmm they didnt have me in the movie? i was rowing my boat across the world at the time and saw the two waving, i had my walkman on so i didnt know what they were saying..but i did return the wave:wiggles:

PRE-EDIT- i am very bored:eek3:

·
Registered
428 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
I could have told you it would have sucked without even seeing the movie...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Re: this is long - sorry... ***SPOILERS BELOW!!!***

cannibal869 said:
I'm never straying far from a divemaster and I'm never diving with another company that doesn't have divemasters diving with you.
:D

I'm a DM myself. I don't think I'm going to go see it because I'll wind up pointing out all the technical mistakes and yelling at the screen when I see the boat crew and/or DMs doing stupid stuff. :rolleyes:

I lead charters out on Lake Champlain from time to time, and I'll tell you I always do roll calls even if I know everyone on board. It's overkill but it's the safe thing to do. Leaving divers behind in the water is completely inexcusable.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Oh goodness .... I didn't need to read this thread ....

Im suppose to go out tonight and see this movie. Oh well... I'll try to convice her to watch something else. although I doubt it. I'll probably end up watching it anyways .... damn you hot women and your magical powers.... damn you!!!!:(

:D

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
the movie looks absolutly ghey! i haven't even see it but the movie seems to be 2hrs sitting in the theater watching people swim around and what not. In real life that sucks (sucks as in tough luck) and in the movies it sucks (sucks as in terrible movie)
i give it 0 out of 5 wiggles.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Yeah, its them in the water talking, crying, freaking out, talking, yelling, crying, looking at sharks, crying, freaking out, blah, blah blah.

I can see how if you were a diver it would be a movie to watch but for the rest of us. bah!:baaa:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts