ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a few vids of people running thier wrx's with open down pipes on Youtube..They all sounded pretty sick..IF i did the same thing will it thrown my Check Engine light on? And if it's safe to run the car like that? thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't think the check engine lights would be any different than any other downpipe since the furthest back O2 sensor is in the downpipe. I may be wrong though.

Just an FYI, it will be REALLY freaking loud. I know a few people who have a cut out in the catback for autox and I cannot imagine driving around with that on a daily basis. You'll probably attract some attention from the police, too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm..interesting..I was told my car had 2..but i have no idea...Actually iv'e seen a device called a Qu-tec or something like that on a Pontiac forum.Wells its a universal device that attaches at the end to the down pipe and then to whatever pipe proceeds after..It's electrical and with a push of a button it opens a valve and opens up the downpipe..It can be revered as well. So the car would def not pass emissions right?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Basically what you just stated is a electrical cut out ( which sum are kinda of pricey check ebay ) all you need is a y pipe and a cut out, route some power to it put a switch in your cabin and blast away having every person in there front yard hit the floor cuz its so ridiculously loud.
I know when i put my catless DP and had my stock CB which i had cut the muffler out for fun, i took a run down this industrial road which has alot of auto shops on it and when i hit full boost in 3rd gear i could see the guys jumping out the door down the street to see what the hell is running down the road lol. Ill just say its really really loud but fun if you could pull it off !!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow..so electrical coutout..sounds good..serves keeping the stock exhaust.Would i need tuning for that? and will hurt my engine?

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Crawl under the car. Find the donut gasket after the downpipe. Disconnect and hang rear of exhaust up and out of the way.

Run car till you are content. Won't hurt it, and it is very, very loud. Then you can decide if you want to spend money on a cutout. A bit of a waste of money imho, but to each his/her own.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Crawl under the car. Find the donut gasket after the downpipe. Disconnect and hang rear of exhaust up and out of the way.

Run car till you are content. Won't hurt it, and it is very, very loud. Then you can decide if you want to spend money on a cutout. A bit of a waste of money imho, but to each his/her own.
Great solution, YB!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I ran my 02 wrx w only downpipe it sounds awesome, but idk if it was just that i was distacted by the sound and not paying attention right but it felt like it didnt pull as hard like i lost torque. Just a feeling though no dyno or anything to prove it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok sounds like a good solution..IS there a thread a cutout instructions in this forum that anyone knows about or even pics? So this cut-out wont require any tunning?

·
Premium Member
6,298 Posts
Ok sounds like a good solution..IS there a thread a cutout instructions in this forum that anyone knows about or even pics? So this cut-out wont require any tunning?
I can't recall a cutout thread on here, but it is pretty simple. Install a y-pipe at the proper location, one end connected to the exhaust, the other to the cutout. Wire up the cutout. Expensive for a lot of noise, when 10 minutes under the car will give you the same results.

As for tuning, since the cutout reduces backpressure, theoretically you could take advantage of it with a tune, but the amount is small enough that a tune is not needed to prevent any adverse affects. Unless you install the cutout pre-cats, which I wouldn't recommend as 1) there probably isn't enough room and 2) you will almost certainly experience boost creep without the backpressure of the cat(s).

Peformance wise, it is likely good for a tenth or so in the quarter, as my experience provided a slightly earlier and faster spool up. A previous poster mentioned that it felt like it lost some torque, but I believe that is more due to the earlier/faster spool providing a smoother feel, and you don't quite get the kick in the pants as a normal spool. Again, theoretically, this will reduce backpressure and subsequently, lower your EGT's, which in turn, should allow increased timing by the ECU and thus, a slightly higher peak HP. Again though, for the money spent on a cutout, it isn't worth in imho...and believe me...it is loud...as in uncorked harley loud. The Po-Po will definately be interested (and I think cutouts might be illegal on the street due to spark issues, so be careful).

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would say unbolt the exhaust and see if you like the sound before spending the money on a cutout. Its good for a lil while but it gives you one killer headache after too long. Also some buddies i have with cutouts on their v8 cars are having problems with loosening body pieces, like when you hear cars with a big stereo, they rattle like crazy really annoying. just some thigs to consider

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand..It was mentioned already that it would be way to loud, and yea i am fairly sure cops attention would be grabbed easily..So i think i will do that, a sample exhaust test lol..Uh whats a pre-cat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
yup i got pulled over in Florida for not having an axle back..the cop didnt give me a ticket.. but told me to buy a muffler and stay away from the neighborhood till i did.. lol..now i have a full TBE.. and i love the sound better than just the cut out.. even tho i had the cut out for a full year.. not problems or loosen bolts..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another thing as was brought out before theyre illegel here idk about there so one look under your car and your screwed. Also i hope you have a buddy at a shop that just hands out inspection slips or you will have to take it off and on for every inspection

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did what YB mentioned to unbolt it and listen to it, see if i liked it. Its sounds great but decided the risk was to great as everyon has mentioned, and besides i do alot of highway cruising..imagine that..Inspections is a real killer too..Think i am just going with a full exhuast....Will my car still pass inspections if i were to get a Turbo back instead of cat-back?

·
Registered
417 Posts
to pass inspection you legaly need a cat. well here anyway. hollowing the cat out isnt hard though you could pass a visual test which is what the shops do here. Or you could go to a high flow cat or something

1 - 20 of 36 Posts