ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know this has been beaten to death but I already have my Hayden 403 installed and wanna make sure it is installed properly. When splicing it into one of the two lines underneath the car (they are those two hardlines that connect to hoses coming down off the top of the fender wells in the engine bay by the battery, right), I spliced (replaced rather) the shorter hose on the driver's side of the radiator. Is that the correct one and not the longer one that goes to the passenger side of the radiator? The shorter one is the return line, right? Just wanna make sure.

If I have installed it the right way, I'll post something on this install this weekend to maybe help clear up the install for newcomers and those who have not installed one yet. Unfortunately it won't be a step by step tutorial since I have no pictures of the install itself but I'll do the best I can describing the install with pics (wish i would have thought ahead before installing it:redface: ). I'll put the Rex on ramps and go under the car and take loads of pictures and describe as best I can on how to do it. Maybe we could make it a sticky on this board when I'm done so people will more than likely know how to do it and not have to ask so many question like most of us or feel lost. Plus there are really no good pictures on the web right now showing how to do it right, what hoses to use and what it should look like when finished. What do you all think? Just let me know about my question in the previous paragraph so I can stop being paranoid. Thanks

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yes thats correct. I installed the hayden 403 a little while ago and ran a line from the radiator nipple closest to the driver side to the cooler then from the cooler back to the stock location of the return line. There were even arrows on it telling you the direction of the flow.

Even if you installed it the opposite way, it would still be correct. It would run from the tranny through the hayden then to the stock cooler then back to the tranny, instead.

After the cooler install the tranny temps stay around 180-190 when before they would hover around 200-210. Ill see an even greater difference after i do a complete flush and fill with redline synthetic atf D4 (12-13 quarts!!).

Brandon

·
Registered
495 Posts
hey 04silver bullet, it would be awesome if you could post kind of a how to, or just what tubes to splice into, I want to add a tranny cooler to my mods before grad school starts. :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BrandonWRX said:
Yes thats correct. I installed the hayden 403 a little while ago and ran a line from the radiator nipple closest to the driver side to the cooler then from the cooler back to the stock location of the return line. There were even arrows on it telling you the direction of the flow.

Even if you installed it the opposite way, it would still be correct. It would run from the tranny through the hayden then to the stock cooler then back to the tranny, instead.

After the cooler install the tranny temps stay around 180-190 when before they would hover around 200-210. Ill see an even greater difference after i do a complete flush and fill with redline synthetic atf D4 (12-13 quarts!!).

Brandon
Cool thanks Brandon. I actually just found a set of directions for mounting the Hayden 403 after posting this but in his directions he claims that the longer line from the passenger side is the return line and the one that we used is the input to the radiator. I also noticed the arrow on the stock hose and that was what I went off. So I feel better now.

I'm most likely get under the car Sunday and take a bunch of pictures, it's supposed to rain Saturday. Like I said it won't be a perfect tutorial but I make to the the point that there really shouldn't be a question on how to do it. I'll get it together this weekend. Thanks fellas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts