ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I was thinking I want to get a helix rear sway and upgraded endlinks and that sounds great but I was thinking about what a big difference springs made on my GFs camaro and was thinking maybe I should do springs too since they are fairly cheap. Anyways, if I do springs, is it a must to do new struts as well? Recommendations for a suspension newb?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Based on what i've read and what my friends told me,

struts are a wear item and springs are not. based on mileage and how hard they were "driven" struts may lose performance from 10K to 50K.

If changing just the springs, they may cause pre-mature wear on the struts.

It's generally recommended to match your springs w/ struts.

That said, many poeple drive w/ only springs done.

I would just get a complete JDm V7 or 8 suspension set used for $500-$700. Simple.

dan.

·
Moderating on the run!
12,477 Posts
Springs will have a pronounced impact on performance- very well worth doing. There are some springs- Prodrive/Eibach/others that are somewhat designed for the oem struts- struts will wear more quickly due to shorter and firmer springs, how much quicker depends on condition of struts and driving.

As suggested above- good deals can be had on STi takeoff springs/struts. The STi struts are dandies- very well damped (can handle a whole host of springs), inverted design and very beefy 40mm pistons.

I'd take a good, hard look at these.

Big Sky

1 - 3 of 3 Posts