ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Great community you have here.

I currently have a 04 VW Mk4 R32. It's an awesome car but I need 4 doors and it's a little small for my outdoors gear. My folks just picked up a 2012 Forester and it really got me looking at the WRX 5 door/hatch. I would want the Limited (for the HIDs mostly) or maybe the STI (having trouble justifying the price difference since I have little interest in tracking the car).

I've read lots of stuff on this forum and others about the car and have sat in it, have driven a 09 model (dealer wont let me drive the newer unless I put down a deposit?) but I don't want to regret my decision.

Anyone here a previous owner of a Mk4 R32 that can help me compare the two? Most of the online mag reviews deal with the STI and/or the newer R32 (completely different animal)

Also, do you guys think it's worth waiting for the rumored FB20 2013 upgrade to come out? I used to have a DI GTI before the R and the VAG DI issues turned me off to it. The rumor is the D4S system in the newer WRX which is a port/DI combo without the VAG issues. The rumor also is that the car will be smaller -not sure I want that!

I know these questions have been asked a million times but I'm trying to make the right decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding Mike.

Yeah I've had the opportunity to sit in a few but dealers don't like to let you drive them unless they have a firm commitment (can't really blame them for it since i wouldn't buy a new one with miles on it).

I like the iPod etc. connectivity but the interior is still a little bland compared to the 04 R. Someone out there must have been in my shoes...

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Hi All,

Great community you have here.

I currently have a 04 VW Mk4 R32. It's an awesome car but I need 4 doors and it's a little small for my outdoors gear. My folks just picked up a 2012 Forester and it really got me looking at the WRX 5 door/hatch. I would want the Limited (for the HIDs mostly) or maybe the STI (having trouble justifying the price difference since I have little interest in tracking the car).

I've read lots of stuff on this forum and others about the car and have sat in it, have driven a 09 model (dealer wont let me drive the newer unless I put down a deposit?) but I don't want to regret my decision.

Anyone here a previous owner of a Mk4 R32 that can help me compare the two? Most of the online mag reviews deal with the STI and/or the newer R32 (completely different animal)

Also, do you guys think it's worth waiting for the rumored FB20 2013 upgrade to come out? I used to have a DI GTI before the R and the VAG DI issues turned me off to it. The rumor is the D4S system in the newer WRX which is a port/DI combo without the VAG issues. The rumor also is that the car will be smaller -not sure I want that!

I know these questions have been asked a million times but I'm trying to make the right decision.

Thanks!
I also can't speak to a direct comparison of the two, but I do know that there are a good number of WRX owners who have come over from the VW scene and generally they tend to rave about the upgrade. There are some clear differences between the cars, especially in terms of the interiors and audio, but when it comes to performance out of the box the WRX is the better car. Both are mod friendly and have plenty of happy owners. The WRX hatch is a more practical car than the VW in terms of space, all-season performance, and properly maintained longevity/resale values. That said, I do like the look of VW's in general (still like mine better ;) )

As far as waiting ... everything is just rumors right now, but one way or another the WRX will likely still have similar performance and practicality - that's part of the appeal. The BRZ will be the less practical toy. IF DI scares you, or a drop in size is an issue, then get shopping.

Also - I hate dealers that won't let people test drive cars. I bet if I walked in there they would happily hand the keys to the 44 year old guy in front of them, but I'm guessing you are a younger buyer and they don't trust you. Your money is the same as mine, and they should treat you that way.

Good luck with the process, and enjoy what you buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I hate all dealers period BDR! I am young (29) but I wear a suit everyday and don't come off like a scrub. I think it's part of the illusion that the WRX/STI really is that rare and all that no one can drive it without paying for it. VW does the same stupid thing with some of their cars. Nevertheless, young usually doesn't = money.

You'd be surprised at modifying the R. It's not very cheap to work on with its V6 ("VR6" to be more exact). A turbo upgrade's like 10k, decent cam upgrades are about 1k, even an AWD controller upgrade is about 1k. I used to have a GTI before the R32 and a quick and cheap ECU flash bumped my power from 200hp/207tq to about a claimed 252hp/283tq.

I hear the performance differences are night and day and I guess that'll force me to start shopping. I like torque as well so moving down to a 2.0 wont help me much (even though the DI does help with torque).

Man I had a 2000 Civic EX for 10 years before I got the GTI. I wish I still had it. It was slow but I was satisfied until now. The GTI didn't cut it (DSG automatic is ok but not fulfilling) and the R is just a little too small. Luckily it retains value well so jumping to a WRX after a year wont be a huge hit.

Thanks for the tips guys. I hope to get one in the next few months. Tax return can't get here fast enough.

- Dan

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I've owned several VW models including an R32 and I still go back to DD the WRX. I have the STi as a fun car as well. Love em. I personally like the fact that they won't let anyone test drive the Wrx/STi. It lets you know you've put all the miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah seems like everyone loves the WRX.

I really wish I could budget the R32 and a new WRX. The Mk4 R32 really is something special. Screw it. It's for sale now :)

DGM 5 door limited with SPT here I come!

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Now you're talking. And the color choice tells us you are a man with impeccable taste.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was surprised when i asked to test drive a WRX and they handed me the keys and said "Have fun!" No dealer riding along, no planned route. Just me getting a feel for the car, and coming back with a huge grin. I custom ordered a new one after that test drive.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was surprised when i asked to test drive a WRX and they handed me the keys and said "Have fun!" No dealer riding along, no planned route. Just me getting a feel for the car, and coming back with a huge grin. I custom ordered a new one after that test drive.
+1 when I bought my 08 WRX the dealer just gave me the keys. He knew me because he had sold me a used car a year earlier, and his willingness to let me test the car alone got him the sale. I asked for a run in the STI once I knew that I would not renew the WRX lease and he asked me to do so only if I was seriously thinking about buying one. I wasn't, and I didn't. Now I am thinking about going to a MY12 or 13 WRX, I know that I will get a ride on my own because he knows I am honest.

Right there is the key - honesty. Seriously, don't turn up in a suit or rags, but just pick your normal casual wear. It tells the dealer than you're a normal guy test driving a car because you have an interest in it. If you dress like you are turning up for a job interview I'd expect the dealer to think you are just trying to impress him for a free ride in a fast car. If you dress as a normal guy then it's his job to impress you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was at a dealership this weekend, sounds like I was lucky to be able to test drive a new WRX. He stated that there was not going to be a MY 13 WRX and that they would keep selling the MY 12s.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I don't get these dealers who want a deposit, a credit check or a "consummated deal" prior to a test ride. Yes, one of the slime bags used the "consummated deal" statement.

I had the "credit check" and "consummated deal" pulled on me. My response was a simple, "dude, these are $30K cars not $100K Porsches, are you nuts?". The "credit check" guy handed me the keys, the "consummated deal" guy won't get my business.

I believe these tactics are a ploy to see how much you REALLY want the car. If you are willing to jump though the hoops laid out by the dealer (perform their stupid-human tricks), then they know they have a much better chance of fleecing you, once you sit down to negotiate. Once I order and take delivery from a reputable dealer, I'll be sure to stop by the "consummated deal" showroom and speak to the sales manager. I'm an A-hole, like that......

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Dealers are not all bad ya know... just 90% :tongue: I am taking a member for a test drive this evening! no credit check, consumated deal, urine sample, or dna test required!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts