Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have been wondering what car to buy. WRX, Cobra, etc... Well I have smoked every car I've raced on the street (C5's, Z28's, Viper, Z06). The track is a different story. Is ALL driver at the track.

BTW: Look at my mods. Basically nothing (chip, CB).

Heres another kill for the 03 Cobra:

Raced a 2002 Z06 yesterday. From a 40MPH roll twice. Both times I was dead even and maybe slightly moving on him up to 100. Then we talked at a light and raced from a 20MPH roll in 1st gear. I walked him! Went past his bumper when I hit second!! The guy was soooo shocked!

You want RAW power go for the Cobra! The car gets faster with break-in. So far, only Diablo chip and a cat-back.

Going for the pulley swap next week. Should bump me near 100 ft/lbs of torque. Going VIPER GTS and 03 Viper hunting!!! with the pulley swap I should smack 03 Vipers and Porsche 911 Turbo's.

I think I am a high 11 second car now (good driver, cold air, great run). with pulley I should be a high 10 (slicks and same as above).

Fact is I was pulling the 02 Z06 and they are 11.99 - 12.3 second cars.

Do yourself a favor "on the fencers" and buy the Cobra! You will NOT be disapointed!

You would have to spend so much time and money to get the WRX to even come close. AND you will loose your warranty!

Rode in ALL8UP's car yesterday (stage 4 WRX). Very sweet ride! Car is loud with 3" straight pipe. The car is quite peppy but I felt it did not pack near the power of the Cobra. Not even close. We were supposed to race but he had to leave. Maybe another time. I think I can smoke him pretty bad, but then again you never know. I am only going by SOTP. My Cobra feels much faster to me. I could be wrong and I hope to find out some day. Nice guy! Turns out he lives so close I could throw a rock from my house and peg his house!

GET A COBRA!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yo

How much did you pay for your Cobra "walk out?" How much in mods have you spent total counting parts, labor, and tunning? I'm trying to gauge how much $$$ you spent for how much performance difference. Can you get a GTech and measure your 0-60 and post? I've heard those 03 Cobra's are real fast ... is interesting to watch your posts. How do they handle in the mountain roads? Does anyone local in Georgia have a 03 Cobra that I could race against? I'm sure I'll get beat now but after I get an EMS I would like to see how I do. Yeah when cars are so powerful it really is up to the driver ... especially in a "street race." :D My goal is 0-60 @ <3.9 seconds and really don't care about my 1/4 mile. I still have a way to go. ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid MSRP. All 03 Cobra coupes are $34,750 MSRP. They had dealer mark-up and were asking $44K.

I paid $1200 total for a speed shop to:

1. INstall Diablo chip.

2. Install 3" Cat Back.

3. 5 dyno pulls

Thats part and labor. Total!

so for roughly $36000 I am spanking Viper's and Z06's...

Going to a speed shop this week:

$109 - Pulley
$60 - Pulley installation
$80 - 3 Dyno pulls
$100 - new diablo flash program

= Less than $400 and another 40+ HP and 80-100+ Ft/lbs. SHould bump me from 420/400 to about 460/500.

I will post dyno results.

The 03 Cobra is rated 0-60 in 4.5 second STOCK! I think I am about 4.0 on a 80F day with current setup. Thats a PERFECT launch. Again its VERY difficult to handle this much torque and power. Its gotta be JUST RIGHT! Once you are moving its easy to accelerate with little spin.

Based on my SOTP from the stage 4 WRX I rode in yesterday, you will have to have a stage 4 and nitrous to beat me now. With my pulley swap, you will need another car IMO. Dont think its possible to hang. Thats just my guess. I could be wrong. Again, ANYTHING can happen on the street or track. But if you want to compare muscle against muscle. The Cobra will win EVERY time in my book.

I think the Stage 4 is putting about 250+ at the wheels. which puts it in the 1:10 HP t0 weight ratio. I am about 1:7.6 or so... At least today... HEHEHE!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Humm ...

Interesting ... "Stage 4" usually inlcudes turbo, injectors, FMIC, EMS, turbo back, uppipe, ... humm I'm wondering if there's anything else I'm forgetting. ;) Well my point is that a real Stage 4 should be pulling 285-300+ whp ... someone local has those above mods and walking away from new Vettes, M3s, Supras, etc ... I'm also talking about 0-100 runs; above 100+ mph it should be a different story however I just want 0-60 and 0-100 at most. I'm running the uppipe, downpipe, catback, and MBC @ 16psi and I'm running 213.2whp NOT tunned those easily 235-250whp tunned and maybe 265 ( I'm hoping ) once tunned. The turbo + injectors should allow me to run 300 whp since someone local has dynoed and tunned their car. With the EMS I'm assuming 250-265 whp thus low 4 seconds 0-60s w/out any problem. I'm average 4.6-4.9sec 0-60 right now w/ everything on the car since that's my daily driver. I think the EMS should easily provide 20-30whp NOT tunned and 30-50whp once properly tunned.

Uppipe = $300
Downpipe = $200
Catback = $500
MBC = $50
Total = $1050 for ~30+/-whp

EMS = $1000
Tunning = $400
Total = $1400 for ~40+whp

Total = $2450 ( Parts ) + $150 ( Labor - friends are cool )
Total = $2600+/-

WRX = $25400 ( Walk Out )
Mods = $2600
Total Speed Mods + Car = $28000+/- ( 0-60 in low 4s )

Tires = $400
ALK = $150
STI Engine & Tranny Mounts = $160
Total Handling Mods= $710

Total Everything Mods = $28710+/- w/ tax, shipping, labor, etc.

The Cat back was only for sound and looks for me. So technically I'm calculating that since the Cobra is $36000 I'm still $7290+ LESS while almost producing the same results. I know people w/ real Stage 4s are easily pulling 0-60 @ 4sec flat ... yes I'm also assuming that people know how to drive. :p I KNOW if I spend $36000 on a REX total it would be unbelieveable ... I really don't think 99% of the cars on the street would be able to beat it on a "street race." However I don't plan on spending another $7290 after my EMS. I'm just looking at 0-60 @ <3.9sec. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The one thing that I still cant get past my head is the HP to weight ratio.

Even if you are putting 300 REAR HP how much Torque? Cause TORQUE gets you moving.

Even at 300 RWHP I am at 420 RWHP and 400 RWTQ. Prolly about 150 ft/lbs higher in torque and 120 HP and ONLY 500-600 lbs heavier.

The only reason a WRX stage 4 MIGHT be able to hang 0-60 is TRACTION of AWD. But I think once I hit second I will pull SEVERAL cars.

The science of it all still says a stage 4 will have a hard time.

I WISH I could race with ALL8UP's stage4. He has up-pipe, down, 3" STRAIGHT THROUGH exhuast, intercooler upgrade, bigger turbo, injectors, etc... It was fast no doubt. I have NO IDEA what his RWHP numbers are. He's really not all that serious about it. Just loves tinkering with his rod. I feel I am running about 170+ more RWHP than him and about 200 in torque. I'm guessing.

No matter what its fun talking about it!!

Mabye I will get to run a Stage4 some day.

:)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
03Cobra...

I just want to check in and compliment you on your attitude. You have to be the coolest of all the people on the board that drive WRX competition. :D

So you're putting down about 420 to the rear wheels. A stage4 WRX can put down anywhere from 275-300+ to all of the wheels. But, the WRX engines are very torquey as well. The stock engine, with 227 hp, peaks at 208 ft/lbs of torque. Upgraded WRXs have all sorts of torque as well. Like you said, it's the traction that makes the WRX so deadly from the launch.

I think on the street, I'd have to lean towards the Cobra for anything other than light to light. Get a stage 4 WRX on the track though though and I think the traction advantage might give the edge to the (well driven) WRX.

I'd be interested to see how this turns out. Keep us posted! :D

BTW.....no matter what you say, you're not gonna convert us :p ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey o3 cobRa ..

im thinkin bout a 95+cobra .. do u know anything about those? a friend of mine used to own a supercharged 98 cobra and he was running low to mid 11's with new gears, str8 pipes and slicks .. and i was jut wondering if my 95+ cobra will be able to pull the same results as yours? oh yeah and dont forget to smoke a blunt. peace

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yo

I agree ... it's nice just to chat. I'm sure you'd toast us at hwy speeds ... hummm 150+ whp & tq ... :D. I guess I'm in a different niche thus I'm looking for "light 2 light ( street racing )." I agree the AWD is what gives us the upper hand because it's about reaction time and traction. I'm pretty sure I could pull 0-60 @ <3.9sec w/ 300+whp in my REX. :p

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
but your car still looks like a mustang. I drive one and that would kill it for me. See to many mustang bodys. whether it be v6, gt or cobra. and the wrx has 4 doors. But yea the new cobras are some bad bad boys

·
Registered
932 Posts
If rear doors, real rear seats, all weather capability and price were no object, I'd love to get a new Cobra. I've seen a few at the autocross and they're impressive in their handling. Without all the GT's bodycladding, it looks a lot sleeker than the usual Mustang too.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
LUV2XLR8 said:
hey o3 cobRa ..

im thinkin bout a 95+cobra .. do u know anything about those? a friend of mine used to own a supercharged 98 cobra and he was running low to mid 11's with new gears, str8 pipes and slicks .. and i was jut wondering if my 95+ cobra will be able to pull the same results as yours? oh yeah and dont forget to smoke a blunt. peace
Your name matches the license plate of a car who, hit and killing someone then ran off, and who was on americas most wanted, AND got off-topic all stirred up.

:mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The thing I really miss about my 5.0 is having power on tap ANYWHERE, especially down low. This was big, easy power that could be brought to bear with a casual stomp of my foot. 5 mph in 1st gear and someone decided to race me? No problem, nail the accelerator and my car would jump up and go. I would get a satisfying "chirp" at 1100 rpm in 2nd gear just by nailing the throttle. And with straight pipes and no cats, my car was loud enough to scare the elderly and small children. Very satisfying to an 18 year old like myself (at the time).

With a WRX it takes a little more planning and a lot more finesse to go fast. But I've got to say, after owning 2 mustangs, the WRX is a BLAST. I love the AWD, and its a nice change going to a turbo 4 that actually gets decent gas mileage if I don't romp on it instead of a guzzling 8 that gets 15-18 at best. And I love the fact that my WRX is QUIET. I don't need a super loud exhaust to let me know I'm having fun any more. And, if it comes down to it, who will the cops pull over? The guy who is almost sideways in his lane, with a thundering exhaust and a huge cloud of smoke coming from his rear tires? Or the guy who is zipping off the line with not so much as a squeak from his tires?

I do miss my mustang, and I know the new ones are great cars. I do miss aspects of having a V-8. I know that mod for mod, a v-8 will have more power and torque than I can hope for. But for the price, and the "refinement" of a 4 cylinder and AWD, I wouldn't trade my WRX for anything. Well, maybe a Porsche 911 :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
i am looking forward to the day tha ti can run a 03 cobra and tell you guys how good it feels to beat one. (which i should be able to do if i can just find one) Hell if this car blows up i might just have to sell it and buy a cobra.

hmm maybe not. Ill prob end up buying a toyota prius and start wearing womens clothing to work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
STOP IT GUYS!!! You're starting to make me want to buy a WRX... Geeesh!

:)

·
980 Posts
One piece of subtle styling is the shape of the shift knob on the cobra (at least the ones i saw in the magazines). I like the way its angled like an upright cobra (snake). How is the shifting on that thing? It'd be pointless to throw a short throw in when you have a nice function and sweet looking shifter. Unlike the WRX, Ford managed to do everything right with the interior of that car. Kudos to a job well done.

-c

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shifter is the WORSE thing about the car. Its very difficult to shift fast and accurately at the track or during a race.

I have played with the idea of getting a better shifter.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Johns AKA (AL8up) is not a stage 4 car. He has 90% of the hardware required to complete the stage 4 but not yet. I sold him my Blitz Axel back last saturday and rode in his WRX also. The car is much faster that stock, but it would need more than the current setup to beat a 03 Cobra. I have a friend with a stage 4 WRX and the best he can run at the track is 12.98 106 MPH. I have seen 03 Cobras run 12.1 to12.4 113 MPH ets. A Cobra with the following Mods should dip into the high 11's:

K&N
Silencer Removed
Diablo Chip
3" Cat-Back

With the Pullies he should be in the mid 11's.

I test drove a 03 Cobra this weekend after leaving Johns house and the thing was super fast. By the way, the car has a IRS rear suspenssion and can out handdle a stock WRK.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've never driven either car, but it seems like a rather ignorant commment to place all of a cars handling abilities in the fact that the 03 Cobra has IRS :rolleyes:

Its kind of hard to actually compare these two cars, handling or power. Its like comparing a NFL tailback to a college wide reciever; two different cars for two different purposes, and two different prices.

My invite still stands 03Cobra, bring your car out to Burke Lake this sunday around 1 or 2. Im sure we would all love to see it. You too Drod...

·
Registered
265 Posts
cobras are fast but, i will race any of them with my stock wrx on the nearest gravel road, how about a drag in the rain? haha.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts