ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks:

I've given some thought into getting an STi within a year. Right now the two things have me leaning toward an Evo instead. One is the substantial price difference in favor of the Evo on the used car market. Not much I can do about that. The other is the aesthetics of the STi -- in particular, the hood scoop. As trivial as this sounds, I hate it. I think the hood scoop on the standard 04-05 WRX is fine, but blown up to STi proportions, it looks spectacularly ungainly. I'm typically not a "form over function" type of guy when it comes to cars, but I literally cannot stand the sight of the STi hood scoop.

That said, I found the previous-generation STi scoop to be much easier on the eyes, though I'm still not exactly fond of it. So, does anyone know if the previous STi hood scoop is interchangeable with the current one? If so, that would do a lot to swing the pendulum back toward the middle...

...that and if I could just get some of you STi owners with under 20K miles to give them up for under 24 grand like some of them Evo owners, the issue would be all but settled. ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
The difference in resale value should tell you one thing. The Evo is not put together as well as the STi!

Evo price new is not that far from STi so resale should not be that far off. The lower quality of a Mitsu is what is lowering that value!

Sorry I can't help with prices. I am pretty sure you cannot use the old pre 04 scoop in the new 04-up hood. Different size hole in the hoods. I know they make 04 style scoops for 02-03 models. Maybe they do the reverse too!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
why not just get the regular 04 scoop for yourself? i'm pretty sure it's larger than the 02-03 regular scoop, probably comparable to the 02-03 STI scoop.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RexMobbin' said:
why not just get the regular 04 scoop for yourself? i'm pretty sure it's larger than the 02-03 regular scoop, probably comparable to the 02-03 STI scoop.
There appears to be quite a difference in the size of the opening between the 04-05 standard WRX hood scoop and the 02-03 STi hood scoop. With an intercooler of this size, air flow is obviously a major consideration, otherwise I could live with a standard WRX 04-05 scoop.

As for the contention that Mitsus have lower resale values than the STis because of build quality, it's worth mentioning that the only issues the Evos appear to be having right now is lifespan of the clutch. A new Evo can be had for over 4 grand less than a new STi (RS starts at under 27 grand); that obviously impacts the asking prices on the secondary market.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can put an 04 WRX scoop on the 04-05 STi, can't you? If you can out an STi scoop on the 04 WRX, I would imagine you could.

But I feel the same way, I think the STi scoop is way too big. I used to like them, but now I'm just sick of them.
Same thing with the STi spoiler.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blue EJ20 WRX said:
You can put an 04 WRX scoop on the 04-05 STi, can't you? If you can out an STi scoop on the 04 WRX, I would imagine you could.
Well like I said earlier, airflow to the intercooler is a concern. Airflow to top-mounts is tricky enough as it is. If an 03/04 standard WRX hood scoop could be fitted with negligible impact on airflow, I'd certainly consider that route. But the STi intercooler is huge compared to the standard WRX's and it well and truly needs the extra airflow afforded by the larger scoop.

Say what you want about the Saabaru 9-2X; at least they tried to integrate the hood scoop into the lines of the car instead of just clunking it on as an afterthought.

·
Registered
465 Posts
drover said:
There appears to be quite a difference in the size of the opening between the 04-05 standard WRX hood scoop and the 02-03 STi hood scoop. With an intercooler of this size, air flow is obviously a major consideration, otherwise I could live with a standard WRX 04-05 scoop.

As for the contention that Mitsus have lower resale values than the STis because of build quality, it's worth mentioning that the only issues the Evos appear to be having right now is lifespan of the clutch. A new Evo can be had for over 4 grand less than a new STi (RS starts at under 27 grand); that obviously impacts the asking prices on the secondary market.
My friend bought himself a 2003 evo 8 with 4 miles on it for $27,100. Quite a difference between that and the $34,790 they wanted for the STI

·
Registered
426 Posts
But keep one thing in mind, at least we can confidently say Subaru will still be around in the next 5 years, can't really say the same for Mitsu at this point.

Also, EVO clutches are generally pretty bad. There were numerous complaints about them, with some poeple having to replace them as early as 3k miles. Not sure if they were fixed in the newer models though. Just a few things to think about. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Get an STi and put a fmic on it then put a wrx scoop or rs hood, problem solved.

Or just get an Evo...they're good cars too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
aheineken said:
Get an STi and put a fmic on it then put a wrx scoop or rs hood, problem solved.

Or just get an Evo...they're good cars too.
Like he said with the FMIC, but go with the sunk in cowl...a few places sell it...totaly gets rif of a scoop!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Get a FMIC and get a reverse hood scoop or something. I saw some car on a store's website that had just replaced the scoop opening with some blash chicken mesh wire and it looked clean.

The 2.5RS hood is steel and it weighs a lot more than our WRX aluminum hood.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GTScoob said:
Get a FMIC and get a reverse hood scoop or something. I saw some car on a store's website that had just replaced the scoop opening with some blash chicken mesh wire and it looked clean.

The 2.5RS hood is steel and it weighs a lot more than our WRX aluminum hood.
And that extra few pounds would probably shave as much as half a tenth a second off a 1/4mile run and maybe half a mile per hour. We can't have that!! :tongue:

On second thought, maybe not having a scoop acting as an air brake would improve those times...

...in all seriousness, if I were to go with FMIC, I'd get a 2.5RS hood, steel or not. But given the cost of this conversion, the expense differential begins to very heavily favor the Evo...

Damn you Subaru... why'd you have to ruin such perfect lines with that unsightly scoop? :mad:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
drover said:
And that extra few pounds would probably shave as much as half a tenth a second off a 1/4mile run and maybe half a mile per hour. We can't have that!! :tongue:

On second thought, maybe not having a scoop acting as an air brake would improve those times...

...in all seriousness, if I were to go with FMIC, I'd get a 2.5RS hood, steel or not. But given the cost of this conversion, the expense differential begins to very heavily favor the Evo...

Damn you Subaru... why'd you have to ruin such perfect lines with that unsightly scoop? :mad:
Like u said ur going to be paying 32,000 for a new sti, i dont think u want to pay 1000 for a fmic and then another 400 for a hood/cf, and then there is the 500 instaLL PRICE. You might be able to Trade hoods with someone and make money from the deal and also sell ur sti top mount to even the differernce.

Have you looked at the srt-4? there pretty nice for the money. But if i were you i would get a rs for 24,000

tom

·
Registered
677 Posts
I honestly do not remember the site with the mesh hood scoop cover. It was on a yellow WRX wagon with a FMIC. They literally just took the scoop off and ran some black chicken mesh on the underside of the hood. It looked really slick.

Lets figure costs now:
APS DR650 FMIC ~$1500 I think or you could go with a cheaper TurboXS one or something else. Install it yourself, there are tutorials all over here about it.
Short ram intake: $150
Chicken mesh: a dollar
Black spray paint: a couple dollars:
Selling the stock scoop to some WRX owner: +$200 or more (prepainted replicas are something like 150 or 180)
Selling the stock TMIC: +$600 or 700
Having an STi that makes more power than and will outlast an Evo. . . priceless

·
Registered
465 Posts
GTScoob said:

Having an STi that makes more power than and will outlast an Evo. . . priceless
Hmm, don't know where your getting your facts from the evo has been around alot longer then the sti. Not saying the STI is a bad car but it is a brand new engine compared to the very reilable and time proven 4g onthe mitshu.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I will say FMICs do look better than TMICs, but unless you're planning on doing some major engine work (bigger turbo, ect.), they're not really worth it. Also, a minor fender bender can turn into a pretty expensive one with a FMIC. While you may be able to recoup some of the cost by selling your stock parts, though. Cheaper solution as mentioned before would be going with a smaller hoodscoop, but again as previously stated, airflow will be affected.

drover said:
all seriousness, if I were to go with FMIC, I'd get a 2.5RS hood, steel or not. But given the cost of this conversion, the expense differential begins to very heavily favor the Evo...
If you ask me, I think you've already made your decision. ;) Good luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jack said:
Have you looked at the srt-4? there pretty nice for the money. But if i were you i would get a rs for 24,000
I have one complaint about the SRT-4, and it's enough to be a deal-breaker: that lovely motor is driving the wrong wheels. If it were RWD or AWD, this debate would be over and I'd probably have an SRT-4 right now. I don't like FWD and I especially don't like high-power/high-torque and FWD together. I had a Dodge Daytona Shelby once. Not a tremendously powerful car -- 175HP -- but the first time I drove it the torque steer damn near ripped the steering wheel right out of my hand.

·
Registered
677 Posts
phreze said:
Hmm, don't know where your getting your facts from the evo has been around alot longer then the sti. Not saying the STI is a bad car but it is a brand new engine compared to the very reilable and time proven 4g onthe mitshu.
I'm not just talking about the engine. The whole car is cheap. Just last night I was talking to a guy who went through 4 transmissions in 20,000 miles. He didnt even drive the car hard and he said that the same thing happens to everybody. His car was stock most of that time too since he had other playtoys that ran <10s 1/4miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts