ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They stopped making the SST yakima towers in 1996 but there is a lady on ebay who sells all four towers brand new with locks for 25 bucks.

Q towers are 50 bucks a piece plus the old SST towers are way more sturdy.

You will also need 4 y3 clips, they need to be cut so that the clip part is 1 1/8 inch wide. I made quick work of them with a chop saw, bench grinder and some gloss black engine enamel.

The clips fit under the factory mounts on a 2005 wrx sti. I am sure the 2004 has them as well under the rain gutters.

I am getting a 38 inch wind fairing tomorrow, wrapping it in carbon fiber and installing it, I will post those pics as well.

I have read the tutorial on the q tower modification but thought others would like another option that is more sturdy.

The y clips actually protrude from the inside of the rain gutter rather than the outside of the rain gutter like the q clips do.

I have a full set of four y clips that need to be modified for locks and our factory mounting points if anyone wants them I can work out a deal.

Check out the pictures. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Nice. Those towers look nice and clean.

BUT. I would chop the crossbars so they are flush with the towers. The fairing also just makes the roof look cluttered. IMO if you cut the crossbars down a little and lost the fairing it would look REAL clean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need the full length on the cross bars because I carry 4 scuba cylinders on a cage rack.

The fairing increases gas mileage, although it does look cluttered it is functional and will stay. I may add an STI logo to it to increase its asthetic value.

Thanks for the input though I appreciate it. :D

Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts