Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading more than a couple posts about tranny issues and now 3 people that had dangerously low fluid from the factory I decided to check mine today. Guess what, below the minimum mark on the dipstick!!:eek:

Everyone here, take 2 minutes, go outside and pop your hood and check your tranny fluid(dipstick under the turbo).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
all Subarus come like that. When I got my wrx it was the same way. Took it to the dealer and they said the fluid level was fine. It was no where near the full mark on the stick:confused1

·
Registered
38 Posts
PLEASE go and check your fluid, dont leave the life of your tranny in the hands of some c tech that wouldn't know how to pre delivery inspect a car if his $8 an hour job depened on it. my fluid was low but i cought it at about 2k mi. and what the dealer tells you is fine and what it should be are normaly two different things

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I didnt mean to make it sound like its normal. I just meant that many imprezas have had this problem not just stis. And that its not a new thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mods with nothing better to do but to lock threads are :screwy:.

Back on topic, I should check my tranny levels this weekend (don't have the STI this week). What are you guys topping off with? Stuff from the dealer or Pepboys?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just wondering, did anyone check the rear diff fluid too? I never checked mine yet, i'm at 9k. I did check my transmission fluid about a month after I got my car(May) and it was on the add mark. It has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Keep in mind that gear oil expands and contracts. If the level is between the marks when cold, it's fine. Overfilling the gear oil is a VERY bad idea.

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Good comment Jim. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Overfilling you tranny is a definite BAD thing;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Back in college I worked at a car dealership that sold a lot of used cars. Whenever we would come across a car with some transmission noise, we would pour in Bars Leak (otherwise known as Tranny Be Quiet). Who knows how long those transmissions would last :tongue:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PPMotorsports said:
Keep in mind that gear oil expands and contracts. If the level is between the marks when cold, it's fine. Overfilling the gear oil is a VERY bad idea.

-Jim
I know this is the case for Auto trannys, they usually have 2 marks on the dipstick for warm and cold. Hadnt heard about any manual tranny being like this:confused:

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
don't just run out and check it! :) Tranny fluid should be checked on a warm engine (as opposed to motor oil on a cold engine)

dR

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stupid question but its 3 ' out so I'm gonna ask before i walk out.

Is the tranny dipstick accessible without removing anything. Cause i was gonna head out and check mine, but again... the 3' thing.:D

Thanks
Para

·
Registered
559 Posts
paragonwrx said:
Stupid question but its 3 ' out so I'm gonna ask before i walk out.

Is the tranny dipstick accessible without removing anything. Cause i was gonna head out and check mine, but again... the 3' thing.:D

Thanks
Para
I second that with the exception that I just got 6 inches of snow :)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
You have to take off the IC on the wrx... At least it would make it 900000000 times easier. So you can't very well check it on the warmest of engines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shard said:
You have to take off the IC on the wrx... At least it would make it 900000000 times easier. So you can't very well check it on the warmest of engines.
If you are talking about pulling the transmission dipstick on the STi, there is absolutely no need to remove the IC.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts