ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been thinking about it, and am wondering what the major differences are between the two. From what I have heard, the Legacy GT engine is just a detuned STI engine (i.e. its the 2.5 turbo engine) Is this right?
If so, how did they detune it? It seems like it would have been smarter to just put the STI engine w/ full power in the New Legacy GT and be able to claim even better numbers. I see these adds touting it as a beater of German semi-exotics like the Porsche Boxster. Is it just a different engine management map or is it mechanically detuned? I'm just curious. I certainly am not gonna give up my Rex for any of them (as much as I would like to.....kinda wish I had know the Legacy GT was coming so soon....oh well) mostly cause of price and convienience. Just have been looking at it and wondering why the legacy has less power then the STI.

Josh

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That just mentions different cams. There has to be more of a difference between the two then that. Someone mentioned that it might account for 20 horsepower, which still doesn't bring it up to the level of the STI. Anything else. Seeing that friggin wagon version makes me really want to get rid of my WRX and get that instead....more power and more space inside. I really can't wait to see the Outback Legacy GT (which I assume is in the works). That would be most excellent.

Josh

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
FLAT4 said:
Plastic intake manifold for heat reduction / insulation, more effecient I/C, smaller ac comp, cheap plastic works to direct all the air it can to the i/c as well as insulating the the engine from external heat, turbo bolts directly to the i/c, variable intake cams, new turbo, new p/s sooler and res, new coolant resevour bottle,

This is nothing like any Subaru that came before it.
^^^That is the difference between the new Legacy and the STi

The Forester XT has different cams from the STi and a different turbo (I'm pretty sure it's the TD04) and a much smaller intercooler. It is also geared differently.

I think I saw a Outback Legacy GT at Flatirons during the ESX meet
:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok yeah.........I saw that..........but alot of the stuff in there seemed to point more towards more power then less power......more efficient intercooler........more heat shielding......maybe its the different turbo............regardless I really really like that car.......might have to give thought to trading in my WRX and going with one of those.

Josh

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I say keep your wagon, it's brand new and for the price difference to get a Legacy GT you could do a lot of nice mods.

ot: where do you work as a stage tech? Boulder Dinner Theatre?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No.......a combo of freelance stuff and a partime Job at Macky Auditorium on campus. Boulder Dinner Theater blows chunks to work at. The Buspeople are the stagehands and the Actors are the waitstaff. I've been getting some work with Rhino lately too, doing rigging and such at the Pepsi Center.
And yeah, just out of curiosity I looked up the price on the GT, and its out of my range. I'll stick with my Rex and maybe throw a few mods its way here once I get some money. I need to get a job since school is much easier this session. I still really like that car though, the extra cargo space would be very nice. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight and the like.

Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts