Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Just traded my 2002 rally pearl blue WRX Wagon for a Black Forester XT . I've only had the car a week but here are my inital impressions.

Acceleration:

The Forester definetly feels quicker in first and second gear. There is no noticable turbo lag and there is a ton of power in low rpms. My WRX was quick, but took a little more skill to launch it properly. The forester also seems to accelerate more smoothly. I would guess they would be very close in 0-60 but with the extra tourque of the Forester and the turbo spooling up quicker I think it is easier to launch.

1/4 mile time: I ran my WRX one time with a boost controller and my best time was 14.1. I have not yet run the Forester but it feels quicker, without any mods. I know it is hard to tell without actual numbers but given my limited experience at the track I would say that the 1/4 times of 13.9 and 13.8 for the Forester would most likley be accuarte with a skilled driver behind the wheel.

Hadleing. The WRX easily handles turns better and faster. It is obvious from the get go. They both do great in rain or snow. The Forester just can't take a turn like the WRX.

Top speed: I have buried the speedometer in my WRX, 140 mph. I have not yet had the Forester over 80mph but It feels like it would be capable of near the same if the govenor was not on, maybe slightly less. I believe it is governed at 129mph.

Street Race: The night I found myself side by side with a Nissan 350z. I didn't really want to race because of breaking it in and all, but my wife said it was cool. Here's a qoute Him- "Dude, what did you do to that thing?" Me- "Nothing, I just bought it tonight." I beat him both times by almost a full car length. I don't know what kind of number a 350Z runs but I know they are pretty quick and faster than a stock WRX. He also spun heavily at launch, so he may have not been the best driver.

In closing:

My WRX served me well and is still a great car. I needed a little more room so that's why me and the wife went with the Forester XT and I do not feel we lost any performance. We probably gained some.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, That's great! They forgot to mention the gallon of milk in the back too!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
My father has one with all the bells and whistles....rear wing, roof racks, CF trim, etc. I love it, such a nice car on the inside and out, and like you said, very fast and very very smooth.

-joe

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
str said:
I Just traded my 2002 rally pearl blue WRX Wagon for a Black Forester XT . I've only had the car a week but here are my inital impressions.

Acceleration:

The Forester definetly feels quicker in first and second gear. There is no noticable turbo lag and there is a ton of power in low rpms. My WRX was quick, but took a little more skill to launch it properly. The forester also seems to accelerate more smoothly. I would guess they would be very close in 0-60 but with the extra tourque of the Forester and the turbo spooling up quicker I think it is easier to launch.

1/4 mile time: I ran my WRX one time with a boost controller and my best time was 14.1. I have not yet run the Forester but it feels quicker, without any mods. I know it is hard to tell without actual numbers but given my limited experience at the track I would say that the 1/4 times of 13.9 and 13.8 for the Forester would most likley be accuarte with a skilled driver behind the wheel.

Hadleing. The WRX easily handles turns better and faster. It is obvious from the get go. They both do great in rain or snow. The Forester just can't take a turn like the WRX.

Top speed: I have buried the speedometer in my WRX, 140 mph. I have not yet had the Forester over 80mph but It feels like it would be capable of near the same if the govenor was not on, maybe slightly less. I believe it is governed at 129mph.

Street Race: The night I found myself side by side with a Nissan 350z. I didn't really want to race because of breaking it in and all, but my wife said it was cool. Here's a qoute Him- "Dude, what did you do to that thing?" Me- "Nothing, I just bought it tonight." I beat him both times by almost a full car length. I don't know what kind of number a 350Z runs but I know they are pretty quick and faster than a stock WRX. He also spun heavily at launch, so he may have not been the best driver.

In closing:

My WRX served me well and is still a great car. I needed a little more room so that's why me and the wife went with the Forester XT and I do not feel we lost any performance. We probably gained some.
congratulations on the purchase. they are very nice, and offer a great upgrade from the wrx if you dont want all the sportiness of the STI.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
365 Posts
I believe a WRX stock also trounces the 350z. One thing to keep in mind is- the engine in the 350z is overrated. They dyno at 220-230, so more likely they have 260HP, not 287. Why nissan would overexagerate I do not know...

Reguardless the XT looks nice, congrats! I've heard of VF30s, VF34s put on and adding quite a bit of power...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think a stock rex could beat a Z. I could keep up with one in my old WRX Wagon but I wasn't stock and it was very close.

·
433 Posts
Driver vs driver, it's a close race between a 350Z and a stock
WRX. I've given one a good pasting, but the only reason I did is because the driver was obviously not experienced. I'm sure the only reason the Forester could 'trounce' a 350Z is if the drivers were not equal. A 350Z can hold with a Forester and a stock WRX, all things equal. Subaru's ad with the '5 people and a dog' is just pure ass. A forester with FIVE people and a dog is certainly not beating a 350Z.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure it was all meant in good fun. Of course a Forester with 5 people in it will not out run a Z. I raced a Z in both my Forester and my modded WRX and my WRX had probelms keeping up, but the stock Forester did not.

·
433 Posts
That really makes no sense to me at all. Your 'modded' WRX had trouble keeping up but the Forester didn't? Interesting... I thought a stock WRX and a stock Forester had very similar 0-60 times. Again, I've whipped a 350Z myself. When 0-60 times and 1/4 mile times are as similar as the 350Z, Forester XT, and WRX times are, it's all down to driver. I wouldn't put money on any of those cars at a drag strip. How could you possibly choose. All drivers are NOT equal!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Modded could mean anything- even things that don't make you faster. Like turbo timers and blow off valves.

Pretty sad when the 350z claims 287HP and a 215HP Forester can keep up.

I think the point is you CAN put 5 people + dog in a forester, wheras you could only get 2 people into da Z.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. My WRX Wagon which ran 14.1 in the 1/4 would just keep up with a stock 350Z. My Forester pulled on one immedietly in first gear. Th HP is only 217 but that doesn't mean crap. The tourqe on the XT is 239 at about 3000 rpms, stock. I think my XT could pull on my old Rex even with the mods I had. Just feels quicker to me.

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Not to mention that Subaru underrated the Forester motor by at least 10%...maybe more. I'm looking for the page that showed an almost 200whp run on a dyno that showed 166 on a stock WRX...

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Odds are two years later he hasnt found it :rotfl:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Integra96 said:
Not to mention that Subaru underrated the Forester motor by at least 10%...maybe more. I'm looking for the page that showed an almost 200whp run on a dyno that showed 166 on a stock WRX...
isnt the new 06 wrx carrying the forester xt engine? people have dyno them and got 200ish whp

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
Yeah, I've been looking every day for two years. I swear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts