ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
suppose a friend of mine turns onto the feeder road (from a side road, not exiting off the freeway), but isn't watching too well and almost hits another car, but that car turns and hits a curb to try to avoid the friend's car - so the friend stops to help the damaged car...and agrees to pay for the punctured tire and the tow truck...the only other witness would be the tow truck driver, and no report was filed...what options would the friend have?

:(

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
1,556 Posts
Penguinking said:
suppose a friend of mine turns onto the feeder road (from a side road, not exiting off the freeway), but isn't watching too well and almost hits another car, but that car turns and hits a curb to try to avoid the friend's car - so the friend stops to help the damaged car...and agrees to pay for the punctured tire and the tow truck...the only other witness would be the tow truck driver, and no report was filed...what options would the friend have?

I'm now lawyer or anything but if your friend admits being the cause of the accident, he really has no choice but to accept the punishment. But of course your friend and the person could settle this without the court. Like you said if your pays for the damages, then ther're really shouldn't be any reason for the other person to press charges. So try to work something before going to courts. Honestly, I think your friend will be fine. Just pay for the damages.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Trying to protect yourself buddy by using the "friend" situation? Its all good. No report = no trouble. But if "your friend" did promise to pay for the tire and didn't. Then "your friend" is going to hell for lying.:eek: ;)

·
Registered
984 Posts
Your friend's option is to live up to his word and pay for the tow truck and damages. If he didn't want to do that then he shouldn't have agreed to it.

If your friend was acting in his own self-interest, he probably should have just kept his mouth shut. I don't think the other driver would have had any chance of pinning the blame for the accident on you friend, unless there were skid marks or something.

But your friend agreed to pay, and he needs to live up to his word. To do otherwise would be dickish.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I once had some schmuck rear end me on the PA Turnpike. I let him go on his word that he would pay for the damage. He had no insurance and I had no police report. I got screwed. Quite frankly, no police report means that it's your friend's word against the other guys. My insurance company would tell the guy that he should've hit your friend, because fault is easily established there.

They told me (in my telephone poll incident) that I should've hit the can that pulled out in front of me. :eek:

-Jim

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
FUNKED1 said:
Your friend's option is to live up to his word and pay for the tow truck and damages. If he didn't want to do that then he shouldn't have agreed to it.
Exactly! The biggest problem with folks nowadays is that they don't keep their word and blame everything that happens on someone else. (OK, there are other things that are problems, but these are biggies.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
No report...legally in the clear...really good news. Suck up the costs and be more careful next time, lesson learned.

Penguinking said:

:cool:

·
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok ok guys - thanks for all the advice and all

but my "friend" resolved it - he ended up paying 155 for the new tire and towtruck. money that would've gone towards "his" new short shifter, but then again, no police report or insurance spike either :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Its ethical to have to pay once you told the person you would. But if it was me (and my financial situation) I would of ran! :D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
thechickencow said:
So are you going to hit the car next time Jim?
Absolutely not. I'll fight to avoid a collision with another vehicle everytime. My Yokohama AVS Intermediates should help me next time. No spin for me.

I just got my tries yesterday. They look SO sticky. I can't wait to get them mounted.

-Jim

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
PlatinumWRX said:

Absolutely not. I'll fight to avoid a collision with another vehicle everytime. My Yokohama AVS Intermediates should help me next time. No spin for me.

I just got my tries yesterday. They look SO sticky. I can't wait to get them mounted.

-Jim
I'm glad to hear that. I feel the same way. You never know what might happen when you hit somebody else, at least that's my opinion. I would rather break myself than paralize somebody else trying to keep my insurance premiums down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts