ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be going back to school soon, and due to the school's parking lots having a past history of numerous break-ins, I've decided it's against my best interest to take the STi to school with me.
Is it going to hurt the car to sit in the garage for a month (or two at the most) without being driven?
 

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
Joined
·
48,699 Posts
Agreed. Letting a car sit for long periods isn't terribly good for it. Once every week or two, I'd get someone to take it for a quick spin somewhere. I had a VW Bug project car that ran great in college; I obtained another car after a while, and the Bug sat for months at home. By the time I got back for the summer, the car just wasn't right anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,269 Posts
that sucks...we are having the same situation on my campus. Mostly aftermarket decks and stuff getting stolen..no cars as of yet. The campus police are pretty vigilant though! I am going to try to remove my aftermarket deck and all that crap whenever i leave the car overnite. THey have mostly been breaking into POS cars with no alarm systems...which leads me..and the cops for that matter to believe they are just students looking to sell stolen goods for a quick buck. Basically...im not that scared..but i do my best to park my car under a street light or closest to the main campus road!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I had a VW Bug project car that ran great in college; I obtained another car after a while, and the Bug sat for months at home. By the time I got back for the summer, the car just wasn't right anymore.
What do you mean by not right? what do ppl who store their cars away for the winter do? Like ppl who put their ferraris or porsches away for the winter. I'm sure they wouldnt want their fancy cars to be screwed up because it sat for 6 months!
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
gas dries up. tires get erm, mis-shaped? and other fluids dry. or something bad like that. dried up gas = horrible. make sure you store it with a full tank of gas. and erm. put ur car on jack stands while your gone so you dont ruin your tires. i dont know too well about anything else other then those 2 really?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Most people disconnect their battery to keep it from running down. Also, if you're really anal, it's a good idea to store it under 60 degrees. not sure why, but i've heard of that being done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaronwillen said:
that sucks...we are having the same situation on my campus. Mostly aftermarket decks and stuff getting stolen..no cars as of yet. The campus police are pretty vigilant though! I am going to try to remove my aftermarket deck and all that crap whenever i leave the car overnite. THey have mostly been breaking into POS cars with no alarm systems...which leads me..and the cops for that matter to believe they are just students looking to sell stolen goods for a quick buck. Basically...im not that scared..but i do my best to park my car under a street light or closest to the main campus road!
I had a friend who car was broken into, rumaged through, but the only thing that was stolen was the frame the surrounds his faceplate??? We just assume that he was trying to steal the whole thing, but someone came along. Campus 5-O are doing a pretty good job of patrolling the lot, but it's so massive that someone could jack 2 or 3 cars and be gone by the time the police got over to that side of the lot.

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one in my family that knows how to drive manual:confused1
Looks like I may have to recruit some outside help...but who can be trusted with such a delicate task? Hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Cannonbolt said:
I had a friend who car was broken into, rumaged through, but the only thing that was stolen was the frame the surrounds his faceplate??? We just assume that he was trying to steal the whole thing, but someone came along. Campus 5-O are doing a pretty good job of patrolling the lot, but it's so massive that someone could jack 2 or 3 cars and be gone by the time the police got over to that side of the lot.

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one in my family that knows how to drive manual:confused1
Looks like I may have to recruit some outside help...but who can be trusted with such a delicate task? Hehe


my family didnt know how to drive a manual either...so teach them...

if u dont want to hurt your own car, do a gm 24 test drive, grab a chevy aveo with a stick. it doesnt take that long to get the hang of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
to give you an idea how bad gas can get.... I drained my tank in my porsche that i bought (had been sitting for god knows how long) anyway i had it in my truck to get rid of somehow and my friend was like "god I got no money and I don't think i can even get home" I then offer him wearily if he wants the gas, he takes it and his truck (68 ford ranger i think) stalls out all the way home.

I thought it was pretty funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,809 Posts
Another concern is the crank case oil. It will all be in the pan, and when you fire the engine up the first time, everything will be dry. Before you start it back up, you might want to pull the plugs and add a little lubricant to get a little extra lube on the upper cylinder walls and help prevent cracking any piston rings. You may also want to flush the coolant, and change the oil/filter before you crank it up.

There's plenty of information on the net about proper storage, just look for "winter storage" tips and you'll get a ton of hits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
For only a month or two you shouldn't have any problems at all but if you plan on doing it long term, then yeah, some of the advices from that Porsche site are good.
Since we're in 21st century I wonder how good the gas tank is nowadays, might be prepared so it doesn't rust as in the old cars. In general, if you didn't fill it up all the way, the dry parts would be exposed to moisture and then rust. Same reason why it was always good to fill it up even during regular driving, not only half-way or so. But on longer periods (1+ year) some of the gas will evaporate and the tank would still be partially exposed.
The brake system recommendation is for long-term only. Brake system is sealed (more or less) and will not attract moisture as much but you can always change the fluids and bleed it before you start driving again.
What I would definitely recommend is take the battery out and store it in the warm place or at least disconnect it and don't start the car up at all. If you don't do it and decide to have someone start the car from time to time, they better drive it for a while (~30mins) because just cranking it up and warming it up for few minutes *will* kill the battery (happened to me when my friend was doing that in my car although I told him not to).
Cranking the car puts a lot of stress on the battery and it doesn't get charged back as fast.
 

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
Joined
·
48,699 Posts
mroussy said:
What do you mean by not right? what do ppl who store their cars away for the winter do? Like ppl who put their ferraris or porsches away for the winter. I'm sure they wouldnt want their fancy cars to be screwed up because it sat for 6 months!
In retrospect, I think that something got settled and clogged in the carburetor. It was a new carb that I'd put on the summer before, and was perfect when I parked it. It ran like crap when I got back in the car 6-9 months later. I had a good car to drive, and needed money, so I let my folks sell it.
 

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
Joined
·
48,699 Posts
I would think that it would be good to move the tranny & diff fluid around some, as well. (Meaning you need to actually drive it a little bit.) I don't have scientific evidence to back it up, just conventional wisdom that I was always taught.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
I would think that it would be good to move the tranny & diff fluid around some, as well. (Meaning you need to actually drive it a little bit.) I don't have scientific evidence to back it up, just conventional wisdom that I was always taught.

I see. Yeah, makes sense.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top