ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I removed my turbo intercooler on my stock 08 wrx there was a light oily feeling/colored substance on and around the seal of the turbo. Also it was slightly oily all throughout the interior of my intercooler. What is the cause of this is it normal?

I installed a boost gauge while the intercooler was off. What is the average reading I should be getting on my stock 08 wrx? How come it reads in the vacuum side of the gauge? Is that just do t the location of where I tapped in on the bpv?

·
Banned
664 Posts
oil is from blow by and the turbo compressor seal. you can get lots of oil in the inlet because your crank and valve heads have vents which vent blow by or pressure out of the engine. that oil has to go some where. even if you install a AOS which you should, the compressor will still let a little oil leak by but its normal, doesnt mean your turbo is going.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
^^Air-Oil Separator. It will remove much of the oil that you're seeing, but not all.

It is normal to see oil around the compressor outlet, and somewhat into the intercooler, but the intercooler should NOT be totally coated. If you see oil on the intercooler outlet to the throttlebody, you have a problem, probably your turbo is on its way out. If you see just a smattering around the inlet, then you should be ok.

For reference, my bugeye has 90k miles and has just a small oil film in the Y-pipe junction, but none in the intercooler. I know the '08+s are arranged a bit differently, however.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts