Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the engine, I've usually got an oil pressure reading of 90 psi and a very low oil temp.

As the oil warms up, the oil pressure drops in inverse proportion to the temperature.

Lately, when I start the car, the oil pressure pegs the gauge - way over 150 psi. After a few miles of driving, the readings go back to normal - 90 psi under acceleration and about 30 psi at idle.

I am almost sure it's the gauge or the sender. Maybe even the wires because the routing goes damm close to the manifold.

Can anyone think of an engine problem that can cause oil pressure to soar? I was thinking possibly the filter might be bad. The sender is located in a sandwich fitting between the block and the filter.

The oil has about 1500 miles on it.

Where to start diagnosing this problem.

misterx

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It's the cooler air temps. Your oil pressure is higher because the oil is cooler. How long does it take to go back to normal?

I think everything is fine.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ten minutes or so.

But the gauge really pegs. Way up to the end.

A rev of the engine send it stupid too.

Thanks for your response.

misterx

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
MisterX said:
Ten minutes or so.

But the gauge really pegs. Way up to the end.

A rev of the engine send it stupid too.

Thanks for your response.

misterx
You gauge was probably designed for a V8. Turbo cars run very high oil pressure. You need a guage with a higher maximum, I think, you'll wear that one out eventually. What is it, an autometer?

You might try moving the sender to a lower pressure location.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a VDO.

I think it's wiring. For temps to affect it like this, there should be a foot of ice on the pond. The gauge has a raange of 0 to 150 psi. Dam thing runs to about 1000 psi if it would register.

It's either wiring or the sender IMO. The reason why I was worried is, is there an engine malfunction that could cause excessively high oil pressure? The fact that the gauge behaves normally after the oil comes to operating temp leads me in the direction you're going in this diagnosis.

Damn! Who would have thought a gauge install would make me spend so many hours under the car?

Where to route the wires away from the manifold is my problem now because I'm tearing this thing apart, Saturday.

misterx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts