Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok it's at 3120 miles, first oil change, I got "mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic for newer engines" anyway, the car is jacked up and all and first i get out my socket wrench, I expect it to be pretty tight, and uh. I can't budge it. I then get the air wrench it was at 40-50psi maybe I should get it higher but anyway this thing won't budge, I remember my previous oil changes being hard on other cars that I have done, but this takes the cake. Any help, I don't want to strip the bolt

·
Registered
21 Posts
breaker bar.. if you don't have one, like me, I got a 1 inch closed headed wrench and put it around my socket wrench, creating a big ol' breaker bar, then I braced my feet up against the garage wall and broke the little ****er loose. my back hurt for a week. :rolleyes:

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
Chunks said:
Ok it's at 3120 miles, first oil change, I got "mobil 1 5w-30 full synthetic for newer engines" anyway, the car is jacked up and all and first i get out my socket wrench, I expect it to be pretty tight, and uh. I can't budge it. I then get the air wrench it was at 40-50psi maybe I should get it higher but anyway this thing won't budge, I remember my previous oil changes being hard on other cars that I have done, but this takes the cake. Any help, I don't want to strip the bolt
It's alarming, isn't it? I've heard of other cases where the stupid drain plug was put on ridiculously tight by Subaru personnel. If you get desperate, take it down to a quicky lube place and see if they'll loosen it for you, then gently snug it up enough to get home and change the oil yourself.

928's are truly cool, btw. One of my dream cars when I was a kid. I remember reading about them when they first came out! (guess I'm dating myself a bit with that one...:) )

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I got it off, just let the compressor pump up to like 60psi, I thought it was longer and so i ended up loosening it too much to where it just flew off and got oil all over my air wrench. and my arm. Now I get to have fun getting the filter off, my rubber opener things don't work cuz i dont have enough room , that's why I loved my tahoe, i could just crawl under the damned thing and had all this arm room and such, I got nothing with the wrx, I don't want to life it any higher because I only put 2 jacks on the front.

Well 928's are cool, but mine's a piece of trash. paid 5k for it 2 years ago, supposedly in mint condition. Ebay scam. Anyway.... the fun continues.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I'm stumped on the oil filter lol, I stabbed it with a screw driver but it seems that the only way you would be able to turn it with that is if you stabbed it all the way through to the other side. I'm just letting it drain right now though.

·
38,620 Posts
Chunks said:
Okay I'm stumped on the oil filter lol, I stabbed it with a screw driver but it seems that the only way you would be able to turn it with that is if you stabbed it all the way through to the other side. I'm just letting it drain right now though.
I use one of those adapters that fits to the flats on the bottom of the filter, and you turn it with your ratchet. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oh man...you should have just bought an attachment for your rachet...or if worst came to worst...an adjustable oil filter wrench. Oh BTW....when you tighten the new filter....tighten it by hand. It will tighten itself over time as the metal swells a bit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could never understand stabbing an oil filter (and I know many people do it). What's so difficult about spending a few bucks and getting an oil filter wrench? It boggles the mind. . . . .

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eh i'ts just got a small hole in it, I can still go out and by one, oh wait.... I can't drive, eh I'll figure something out. And yes, I know not to tighten oil filter.... That's why I do these things myself because everytime I took my other cars to the dealer they freaking tighten the oil plug too tight the oil filter extremely tight etc. This time I just cant use my sears strap wrench things because theres so little room.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm glad I let the dealer do the first one. I just did mine a few weeks ago and everything came off nice and easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I just wrap a piece of Duck Tape around it so that I can get some grip on it, then twist it off. It's a pain to get started, but not too bad.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Chunks said:
Ok I got it off, just let the compressor pump up to like 60psi, I thought it was longer and so i ended up loosening it too much to where it just flew off and got oil all over my air wrench. and my arm.
Lol! Reminds me of the first time I changed the oil in my first car. I drove it around a bit to "warm up" the oil, then when I went to loosen the plug it came streaming out before I could get the plug all the way out, and covered my arm. Let's just say that the oil was considerably hotter than what I would normally choose to subject my skin to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check to make sure you have that stinkin crush washer for the drain plug. The first time I did an oil change, the washer wasn't on there and it was a pain in the but to get out. I think that plug is only supposed to be tightened to ~10ft/lbs

·
38,620 Posts
dropmech said:
I think that plug is only supposed to be tightened to ~10ft/lbs
The factory service manual spec for the oil drain plug is 33 ft-lbs!!

Sheesh!:)

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, I've been AWOL from the forums for liek 2 days, anyway It's been done, what I did was I used to duct insulation tape (sticky on one side, foam on the other, it's about maybe 2mm thick) and I put it on the inside of the wrench, gave me some fantastic grip hehe. Anyway now I'm full synthetic and she's running, too bad it doesn't make much difference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts