Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2012 STi only has 35k miles and is bone stock. I got a coupon in the mail from my dealership for 20 dollars off an oil change. So I brought it in today for an oil change. A good friend of mine is a mechanic there and he always works on my car. He came and told me that my car was a quart and a half low on oil. :eek3: He said he checked everywhere for leaks and there are none, so I had to be burning it off. I have never seen smoke or smelled burning oil coming from my car and I do check the dipstick pretty often, maybe not often enough. I would say I checked it about 2k miles ago and the dipstick showed full. He said he thinks it's something with the pcv valve?

Also he said that flushing the engine may help with oil consumption using some kind of additive in the engine. I'm guessing something like seafoam? So I am having them do this engine flush as I type this. He said to keep an eye on the oil levels after today which obviously I will watch much more closely now. He said that if I keep losing oil that he suggests a leakdown test. Which I figured anyway. Hoping it's not the engine. But the car is still under warranty so I guess that's not to big of a deal. Ugh. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Do not flush your engine. It can dislodge particles and block oil passages. Every manufacturer I know expressly states not to do it.

Some consumption is normal, 1.5 over 3k is a half quart per 1000 miles, that's normal and accepted by Subaru.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
What oil weight are you running in your STI?

XJman is right though, Some oil consumption is normal is these engines, I had a LGT and it did about the same as what you are talking about before I switched over to Rotella T6 - 5w-40. Either way though, you'll want to check it more frequently and carry a quart container in the trunk just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,818 Posts
You should be checking your oil every several hundred km, not only by chance or halfway into an oil change interval.

Keep the oil level correct.

The info is in the manual.

There isn't anything wrong with your car yet but if you don't check your oil more frequently that may change drastically.

The PCV system can cause abnormal consumption but yours is probably OK since your car is new (and I bet it's covered under an 80K warranty by the maker anyway; emission control warranties are longer than bumper-to-bumper in the USA).

I would never flush an engine. I can't comment on what your mechanic friend says, since I've no friends at all so have no frame of reference.

Check your oil.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
You should be checking your oil every several hundred km, not only by chance or halfway into an oil change interval.

Keep the oil level correct.

The info is in the manual.

There isn't anything wrong with your car yet but if you don't check your oil more frequently that may change drastically.

The PCV system can cause abnormal consumption but yours is probably OK since your car is new (and I bet it's covered under an 80K warranty by the maker anyway; emission control warranties are longer than bumper-to-bumper in the USA).

I would never flush an engine. I can't comment on what your mechanic friend says, since I've no friends at all so have no frame of reference.

Check your oil.
All you need is the forum community

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I jumped to conclusions as this is my baby and I heard low oil and kind of panicked. I opted out of the engine flush and didn't have it done. Car is running fantastic as usual. I am curious though that if blowby could be the cause of this. I know after I had the IAG aos installed on my wrx that my oil level was always perfect. I also know these cars are bad for blowby. I am going to pull the intercoolee to check for excessive blowby this week. I do plan on getting the same aos put on the STi when I go to iag for a tune in the spring. I mentioned the engine flush being a bad idea to my friend though, he has been a Subaru mechanic for many years, and he said that he has never heard of or seen an engine flush hurt anything. Not saying you guys are wrong because I did follow your advice here. But makes me wonder about it.

None the less I will be checking the oil more frequently to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the replies.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I think you are overreacting. Subaru deems it normal to burn 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. You are nowhere near that feet yet. However, now that you know you were a little low, I would make it a point to check your oil once every 1 or 2 weeks. It might be too often for some but in my mind, and especially with these cars losing oil and their owners not knowing resulting in a spun bearing quite often, too often is MUCH better than not often enough. A performance car is one in which you can't afford to go the whole length of the oil change interval without ever checking the oil. Most people's train of thought is "oh, it's new. I don't need to worry about that just yet." when it's entirely the opposite case.

This is just part of learning auto ownership. No matter the car you own, make it a point to check your oil at least every 2 tanks of fuel. Again, I stick to once a week. Fortunately it's not that hard to do, but more of a habit to get into instead. Similar to brushing your teeth every day.

In summation - don't panic you're fine. Air Oil Separator might help. Check your oil much more frequently than one time in the middle of your interval.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Ive experienced little to no consumption on my STi thusfar, using Eneos 5w30, and T6. Im at 21K. I'd send your oil off to blackstone for piece of mind, and get an AOS when you can afford it, even though I don't think your consumption is really bad at all. You already know first hand how much the AOS can help out, but like I said, if you're worried at all, you can send a smidge of the oil to blackstone for $28, and they will tell you anything and everything about it, from metals, to fuel dilution, to shearing. It can really set your mind at ease.

·
Æternum
16,122 Posts
I've still yet to own a Subaru that burns more than 1/2 quart every 5000 miles.

Wife's MS3, now that burned through a quart every 800 miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,818 Posts
It is unclear to me whether T6 meets SOA spec. I use it anyway but my car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Excessive would be like my car...that burnt a quart in few hundred miles. I have a very bad compression number on two cylinders. And some people don't burn much even for a higher mileage WRX/STi's.

I read also never ever flush your engine as well.

I do check my oil level as frequent as I could; usually every other fill because it's so bad. My motor is pending an investigation next week.

·
Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium
206 Posts
It is unclear to me whether T6 meets SOA spec. I use it anyway but my car is out of warranty.
I can't see why not, Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40 with API CJ -4 Technology is API SM certified. On the FA engines though it isn't approved but you don't see a noticeable oil consumption issue with those (TMK)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts