Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm due for my first change... Do you guys all go to the dealership or do you trust valvoline type shops? Really don't wanna pay 80 -100$ for an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
24,465 Posts
DIY or nothing. If not find a local shop you can trust or get to know.

Avoid the quick lube type places. Dealership is probably OK.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Always DIY for me... i didn't bother with the free oil changes either. BUT if I had to go somewhere I'd go to the dealer over any of those quick oil spots i.e. valvoline, jiffy lube etc...

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
I'll take the family van to a local shop that we've come to trust.
My WRX's and BRZ...me spinning wrenches in the driveway. It's really a pretty easy thing to learn to do.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I do it myself on all of our vehicles.. for the last 17 years. Too many horror stories about shops ruining engines, including the occasional dealership. I even did it when I was living in an apartment during college and the only tools I had was a ratchet, a set of metric sockets, and a pan to drain the oil into. I would drive around to the back of the parking lot, pull one side of the car up onto the curb so I could fit under it, and go to town. Now days it's easier than ever since I have Fumoto valves on all four of our cars. I rotate my own tires and do the brakes myself too.. super easy, and much faster than taking it somewhere.

·
Registered
550 Posts
DIY . . . I suppose there may be some extenuating circumstances for not changing one's own oil (i.e. no inside location and it's the middle of January in North Dakota or the condo association prohibits working on one's vehicle in the parking lot) . . . but if someone has the space and invests in a few simple tools they not only can save a lot of money doing oil changes themselves, but also they know it's done right (i.e. the right amount and type of oil) . . . not to mention saving themselves the time involved in driving to the local garage/dealership or quickie shop and waiting for the service.

Subaru really makes changing oil a simple job . . . I think I spend more time looking for the right socket wrench, oil filter wrench, ramps, etc. than I do in doing the actual oil change. Top-side screw off oil filters are virtually fool-proof (vs. some vehicles I have owned where I had to be a bit of a contortionist or remove shields to access.)

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Subaru - I generally will DIY when weather permits, or if it's already at the shop for something already, I'll have them take care of it. During the winter, though, it's always done by someone else; I have a gravel driveway, a ton of ice, and no garage.

Toyota - Free oil changes at the dealership. I'll let them handle it while they're free, then start on the same situation as the Subaru.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go ahead and take it to Jiffy-lube , ask them for synthetic and then leave wondering the whole time if you even GOT synthetic , let alone a tight drain plug and filter ...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you do with the old oil? Another problem is I work crazy hours...it might take me a week to get a chance to get the tools and another week to do it. Prolly look into diy down the road but for now I want to get it done tomorrow. Which leaves getting raped at the dealer or taking chances with franchise shops.

·
Registered
784 Posts
What do you do with the old oil? Another problem is I work crazy hours...it might take me a week to get a chance to get the tools and another week to do it. Prolly look into diy down the road but for now I want to get it done tomorrow. Which leaves getting raped at the dealer or taking chances with franchise shops.
in that case... getting raped by the dealer will hurt far less then your engine imploding due to negligence of a franchise shop lol. At least a dealer is specific to Subaru's.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Autozone, advanced auto, Napa, etc.. all usually have oil recycling. Just dump it in a container and bring it in. Most places that sell motor oil are required to take back used oil for recycling.
If you want it done TOMORROW, a quick lube is your best bet if you can't DIY. Taking it to the dealer would be the best choice but you usually need an appointment. Call the dealer in the morning to see when they can get you in.. if it's a few days it's no big deal.. your car won't explode.

If you do go the quick lube route, you can always bring your own oil and filter and watch them like a hawk. Also remember quick lubes make money on upselling crap you don't need so just say NO to additional services.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm used to an 05 civic paid off that cost nothing to own and was easy to work on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're not mechanically inclined and don't have basic tools to perform an oil change, then the dealer is your best bet IMO. As far as getting raped, the $80 the dealer is asking does get you a tire rotation and a bunch of checks that probably are a good idea on the first go around.

For me, I do all my own maintenance because my hobby includes some pretty heavy car work. I made my dealer aware of this when I took delivery of my WRX. They were pretty cool about it and offered me OEM Subaru filters by the case at a nice discount.

As for the change cycle, the factory manual specifies 6,000 miles and the dealer recommended 3,000 miles. I chose to do it at a 5,000 mile cycle, it's easy to remember and is what I'm comfortable with. As for actual oil, I use Mobil 1 on everything I've owned now for 25 years.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you can't do it and you know a reputable local shop, find out how much it would cost to do if you bought your own oil and filter and wait for it to be done. In NJ we have a Subaru shop called AZP that works exclusively on Subaru's and uses Motul, Eneos, Redline etc, with Subaru Black filters. Maybe find one on your state like it if not then settle with a local shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also use mobile 1 in my vehicles. I plan on getting an oil analysis done on the wrx in the coming weeks when I do my oil change. It will have roughly 4K miles on it (the oil). I am not to worried.

OP, this car is by far the easiest oil change I have ever done. It takes 15 minutes in you know what your doing. With that said, if you dont want to do it yourself then either a dealer, or just pick a place.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: do yourself a favor and research how well M1 works in WRX/STi motors. #omnomnom

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,618 Posts
I bring old oil with me to the Autozone, when I buy the new oil/filter. You dump it out, and you're on your way.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
I also use mobile 1 in my vehicles. I plan on getting an oil analysis done on the wrx in the coming weeks when I do my oil change. It will have roughly 4K miles on it (the oil). I am not to worried.

Best of luck to you.. most Mobil 1 UOAs come back with tremendous shear. I'm talking 5w-30 sheared down to a 10 weight within 1500 miles. Which explains why it would pour out of my engine like hot coffee.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts

Thing is, it takes me far less time to change the oil at home than it would to take it somewhere. Like maybe 15 minutes tops.. as opposed to driving 20-30 minutes to an oil change place, waiting an hour for them to do it, then driving another 30 minutes home.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts