ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I’m doing my first oil change on my 2017 Subaru Wrx and wanted to know what’s the best oil to use??

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,111 Posts
Check the user's manual for the correct grade and viscosity. Beyond that, I shop solely by price at this point. I have 5 cars and the one with the least miles on it has got 202k miles. The one with the most has (I think?) 340k miles. So far no oil choice problems. Grade and viscosity matter. The rest is marketing (read: rubbish).

·
Registered
35 Posts
  • Brand of oil ... I agree with SD_DR.... and I have a few more tips to add:
  • I've heard Subaru filters use a higher bypass pressure than most; so go with an OEM filter or know the quality of the one you buy. More info on the bobistheoilguy website and/or this forum
  • 1st change? Make sure you have a 6-point socket. If you don't you might strip the head of the bolt (not sure what Subaru does at the factory ... maybe it's the paint applied after assembly that helps bond the bolt to the oil pan, maybe it's a sealer to keep them from leaking ... but mine was impossible without a 6 point socket on 1st oil change)

·
BooSTIng
2,827 Posts
I will second the oem Subaru filter. It is the only oil filter to consider. There is a reason shops that build high HP engine still use oem oil filters.

As far as oil goes, everything SD_GR said is on point. I run motul xcess 5w40. But that is only because I have a built engine and that is what the shop tells me to use. Otherwise, refer to your manual as mentioned.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,111 Posts
Another strategy (or a supplemental strategy) is to find an oil that will suit multiple vehicles. In my case I shop for stuff that meets ACEA A3 and/or MB229.x and/or is safe for motorbike wet clutches, pick a viscosity or two of that stuff, and wait until it's on sale then stock up. This way I can do oil changes and top ups at will with as little hassle as possible. Saves money too. In one case, I can also "share" filters between two vehicles which makes life even simpler.

If you are under warranty I would never stock up, so DO NOT do this. Get a receipt for each and every separate oil change and store the receipt. I have not had a vehicle under warranty since 2009 so I don't care about that.

With one or two oils (that are miscible) for all cars plus the bike my life is simpler. The last time I had a failure due to oil was -- hang on, let me check my records -- aha! Never. That's when.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys so I’m doing my first oil change on my 2017 Subaru Wrx and wanted to know what’s the best oil to use??
2013 WRX 75k. I've used Amsoil Signature Series since my first oil change. Saw an improvement in mpg, smoothness. 'Independent' studies convinced me. Fumoto valve makes changes easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts