ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya i got Castrol Syntec 5w-30. Anybody use it around here? I just read some information comparing Castrol Vs Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 had a higher viscosity level. Whatever that means. Anybody use Royal purple?What do you guys use?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,232 Posts
In the maintenance forum there's a reference sticky thread. Inside there's a link to a long, multi-page oil thread.

·
Registered
185 Posts
btw: Viscosity is the resistance against shear stress. It's pretty much like friction within a fluid.

Fundamentals of Fluids ftw.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mobil 1 ftw.

Many tests have shown it to be one of the best, and many tests show to stay away from royal purple. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
bleh...i stick to castrol syntec.
i hear too many stories about spun rod bearings with mobil 1...something about b/c the oil contains wax i think...

·
29,232 Posts
hey so i got mobil 0w-40 is that good?
Your owner's manual will specify the viscosity and grade of oil to use. The current M1 0W-40 is API SM and it works great for me, but you need to check and see if it meets the warranty requirements outlined in your manual if you are still under warranty. In any case it's a quality oil.

bleh...i stick to castrol syntec.
i hear too many stories about spun rod bearings with mobil 1...something about b/c the oil contains wax i think...
Wax is a solid.

How may stories have you heard? From whom? M1 does not contain wax and it is a quality motor oil. I would not hesitate to use it in any vehicle as long as the viscosity requirements are met by the particular M1 I happened to chose. I've also yet to see any evidence that M1 is responsible for spun rod bearings in our motors.

M1 0W-40, for example, meets the following:

Mercedes-Benz MB 229.5
BMW Longlife 01
Porsche Approval List 2002
VW 502.00/505.00/503.01
GM-LL-A-025 (gasoline)
GM-LL-B-025 (diesel)
ACEA A3, B3/B4

The specs are here:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

and Mobil will provide an MSDS as well if you're concerned about the contents (they have to).

·
29,232 Posts
lmao SD_GR jus hammers people who go against him on the site lmao
I don't mean to come across as harsh as I do apparently, and truth be told it's embarrassing to me to think I'm argumentative etc. (though I probably am, intentionally or not!). Still, I've read several posts where people mention things they've heard from others, and I am honestly interested in finding out the details -- not kidding.

Let me give you an example: The other day, I asked where and from whom a poster had heard positive stories about using a BOV on a WRX. The poster responded, and I learned something.

Now, I've read comments here and there about spun bearings and M1 use, but I've yet to see any evidence that it's the M1 that's causing the problem. Come to think of it, oil-related failures are really difficult to pin onto the oil itself even in ideal conditions (that may be why so many oil makers have seemingly generous but ultimately useless "guarantees" -- they know they'll never have to pay). Keep in mind also that many boutique oil makers do not have the resources to synthesize everything de novo, and rely on commercial suppliers for materials for their own brand-name oil. Mobil is one such supplier...

I don't sell M1. I don't even exclusively use M1. In my garage right now there are three different brands of oil. My two newest cars get M1 (one gets 0W-40, the other 5W-20). My two older cars do not. One gets Castrol (I mention it so nobody thinks I'm anti-Castrol or anything like that) and the other gets BP, Fuchs, Selenia, or whatever's on hand. It is unlikely that I could walk into a store today and pick out an oil that would cause any of my road car motors to fail. I'd have to really try hard to pick something completely inappropriate, and it'd still be tough. Even super market oil will probably get me to the next oil change.

That's why I would like to hear failure stories that can be attributed to oil choice.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't mean to come across as harsh as I do apparently, and truth be told it's embarrassing to me to think I'm argumentative etc. (though I probably am, intentionally or not!). Still, I've read several posts where people mention things they've heard from others, and I am honestly interested in finding out the details -- not kidding.

Let me give you an example: The other day, I asked where and from whom a poster had heard positive stories about using a BOV on a WRX. The poster responded, and I learned something.

Now, I've read comments here and there about spun bearings and M1 use, but I've yet to see any evidence that it's the M1 that's causing the problem. Come to think of it, oil-related failures are really difficult to pin onto the oil itself even in ideal conditions (that may be why so many oil makers have seemingly generous but ultimately useless "guarantees" -- they know they'll never have to pay). Keep in mind also that many boutique oil makers do not have the resources to synthesize everything de novo, and rely on commercial suppliers for materials for their own brand-name oil. Mobil is one such supplier...

I don't sell M1. I don't even exclusively use M1. In my garage right now there are three different brands of oil. My two newest cars get M1 (one gets 0W-40, the other 5W-20). My two older cars do not. One gets Castrol (I mention it so nobody thinks I'm anti-Castrol or anything like that) and the other gets BP, Fuchs, Selenia, or whatever's on hand. It is unlikely that I could walk into a store today and pick out an oil that would cause any of my road car motors to fail. I'd have to really try hard to pick something completely inappropriate, and it'd still be tough. Even super market oil will probably get me to the next oil change.

That's why I would like to hear failure stories that can be attributed to oil choice.
thats fine...i respect your point of view. just in my eyes...i got my wrx a few months ago and did an oil change about 1 month ago. i searched nasioc for the best recommended oil before i did the change, and i saw countless threads about M1 and spun rod bearings. so with that in mind, i chose to avoid putting M1 in my car. besides, i have used castrol in my old accord with good results.
this whole forum thing is a very sebjective and it seems you can never be sure if the information you're reading is 100% accurate

·
29,232 Posts
i searched nasioc for the best recommended oil before i did the change, and i saw countless threads about M1 and spun rod bearings. so with that in mind, i chose to avoid putting M1 in my car. besides, i have used castrol in my old accord with good results.
this whole forum thing is a very sebjective and it seems you can never be sure if the information you're reading is 100% accurate
I was looking at some of those threads too. I'm still skeptical though. I can't tell what tells somebody it's M1 that's the problem. I can almost "see" it if a new oil with fresh detergents loosens up gunk and blocks a passage, but that's the old oil's fault (actually, the owner's). I think a lot of it is also due to M1's popularity - there will be more failures since more people use it and (ab)use the motor.

I still use it in two of my cars and have no reason to change.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I switched over to royal purple synthetic 5w-30.

I personally think this is like the difference between white and black garbage bags. It is pointless to argue between them. You will hear of every oil spinning a rod or something because chances are it wasn't all the oil's fault, it was the fault of the driver. :tongue:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I switched over to royal purple synthetic 5w-30.

I personally think this is like the difference between white and black garbage bags. It is pointless to argue between them. You will hear of every oil spinning a rod or something because chances are it wasn't all the oil's fault, it was the fault of the driver. :tongue:
to sum it up...oil is oil; just change it often

1 - 14 of 14 Posts