Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing my own oil is not really something I want to do here in my driveway, so....can you actually get the oil changed at a quicklube type place with this car? Is the subaru filter special? Would you trust these people? They never screwed up on my last car, used them for three years.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dont trust any of those quick change places. They drained the oil on my dads car, changed the filter, and forgot to refill with new oil!! There's countless horror stories on this topic. Some also use an air wrench to tighten the drain plug which is a pain to get back off.

Seriously, changing the oil takes 15-20 minutes tops. Its also a good way to inspect the underside of the car for any abnormalities. I believe the OEM oil filter is made by purolator, so an aftermarket purolator filter is probably closest to stock.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JRod said:
Dont trust any of those quick change places. They drained the oil on my dads car, changed the filter, and forgot to refill with new oil!! There's countless horror stories on this topic. Some also use an air wrench to tighten the drain plug which is a pain to get back off.

Seriously, changing the oil takes 15-20 minutes tops. Its also a good way to inspect the underside of the car for any abnormalities. I believe the OEM oil filter is made by purolator, so an aftermarket purolator filter is probably closest to stock.
i suppose i lucked out. they never made a mistake, and they actually checked the underside for me....always calling me over to point out anything they thought abnormal.
mostly i'm wondering if they would have the proper type of filter for the car.

i would change my own oil but i don't like dealing with the mess. getting rid of used oil around here is a pain. when i change the oil on my bike, i leave it on the doorstep of a mechanics shop at night.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice. i might have to do that. great since we have four bikes as well.
hmm, maybe i can actually locate a shop that will accept oil.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Our garbage pickup here in CA will also pick up my used oil for recycling. Very nice!! :D :D

-LostLamb

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
legally ours are supposed to. getting them to do it, in my experience, is another matter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
LostLamb said:
Our garbage pickup here in CA will also pick up my used oil for recycling. Very nice!! :D :D

-LostLamb
LostLamb, where in Nor Cal do you live? I live in Roseville, which is about 20 miles out of Sacramento, and they don't do oil pickup... would be so nice if they did.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have a bunch of used brake fluid to get rid of, I think I have to wait till they have one of those special "hazardous waste collection" days, cause there is no way the garbage man will touch it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can always do what my Uncle does and burn the oil to make a bon fire :D . Of course he lives in a place where the directions say "The road will turn to dirt. When the road comes to a T make a right." ;) :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Jeffsw_02WRX said:
LostLamb, where in Nor Cal do you live? I live in Roseville, which is about 20 miles out of Sacramento, and they don't do oil pickup... would be so nice if they did.
Hey Jeff, I'm in SSF area. I used to go to school at UCD, so I'm very familar with Sac.

I love spring there. :D

-LostLamb
Matt

·
Registered
170 Posts
Now when I don't live in a house anymore I really miss those "Do-it-yourself" garages we have in Sweden. They have them at OK (brand of gasstations) where they have lifts, air, abilty to wash, work on your car and change oil. They usually have like 8-10 stalls and you pay for the used time, around $4/hr I think it was. I don't understand why you guys don't have them. Could it be because this country have an overabundance of trial lawyers? Not enough carenthusiasts? I'm fretting my next oilchange, don't want to do it on the street. In 24 years of car ownership I've always changed my own oil. My ex used to take her car to a quicklube place, they messed it up so many times. Plug only fingertight, so tight it pulled the threads etc:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
LostLamb said:

I have the one from Griot's works like a charm. No mess, no getting underneath the car, takes me 15mins to change my oil now.
I was just about to purchase one of these when I noticed:
1999 - 2003 Corvette
1999 - 2001 TransAm
Late model GM/V-8 engines

If you'll note one of the other vehicles in my sig. I guess I'll keep crawling under the car. At least on the WRX I don't need to put it on ramps like I do with the Formula.

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
camino cielo said:
Now when I don't live in a house anymore I really miss those "Do-it-yourself" garages we have in Sweden. They have them at OK (brand of gasstations) where they have lifts, air, abilty to wash, work on your car and change oil. They usually have like 8-10 stalls and you pay for the used time, around $4/hr I think it was. I don't understand why you guys don't have them. Could it be because this country have an overabundance of trial lawyers? Not enough carenthusiasts? I'm fretting my next oilchange, don't want to do it on the street. In 24 years of car ownership I've always changed my own oil. My ex used to take her car to a quicklube place, they messed it up so many times. Plug only fingertight, so tight it pulled the threads etc:mad:
Part of the reason is the cost and lawyers. You're talking some nice law suits here.

GRRRR

:mad: :mad:

I would love to see that here in US!!!

-LostLamb

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The place I take mine has always done a great job. They love to talk to me about my car, and one of the guys has a friend with a WRX so he always runs to do my car when I bring it in. They bring me samples of all the fluids in little dixie cups so I can make a judgement call based on that and their recommendations. They will also let you bring in your own aftermarket filters, no hassles.

And everything is in their computer so if I ever need to prove my perfect maintenance record, it's easy. Try doing that when you change your own oil.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
JRod said:
I believe the OEM oil filter is made by purolator, so an aftermarket purolator filter is probably closest to stock.
You are correct, the OEM replacement filter is made by Purolator. However, the filter the factory puts on when the car is built is made by Tennex.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i think doing it yourself is the best part of owning a car. you get to know you car much better. when you take your car to a quicklube type places (not all places, just some) the people really don't care as much about what kind of job they do. my dad took one there and they forgot to put the oil cap back on and....let just say it wasn't a nice thing. same thin happen to my girl's car. plus the WRX is one of the easiest car to change the oil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts