Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna buy an oil catch can, but dont know what 2 hoses it connects to. I know how to do it if I had a TMIC, but with my FM im confused. Can some one point it out for me? Heres my engine :

·
Registered
249 Posts
Whoa there, huge pic!! :D

Anyways,

Here's a bad pic of my greddy catch can installed in my car with a Greddy FMIC. Hopefully you can see where it gets hooked up!

-Michael

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Ive heard that the Greddy cath can isnt the best because it doesnt have baffling material. This one has baffling material but it mounts up by the battery. This might present a problem with the FMIC.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts

AVO Oil Separator System
The flat Subaru engine produces a lot of crankcase pressure. This is routed back to the intake. The engine has to try to burn this with the air and fuel mixture and cuts power and causes Detonation. This kit will remove the oil and also keeps the turbo from eventually getting gummed up. Mounts in front of the battery. A must for track use and cars running high boost.
Part# spooss
Price $195.00

You could probably find another place to mount it. Maybe try contacting SPO and talk with their tech dept.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey schaf, you missed a tap... I dunno if this is normal, but I put 3 taps from the engine going into the catch can because there were three hoses coming off of the engine going back to the turbo intake pipe.... The one that you missed isn't really visible in your pic, but with a normal intake pipe, it is the hose that is connected to the turbo intake pipe closest to the turbo, right bewteen the turbo and the intake manifold(under the throttle body(sorta).... I ended up just plugging up the spot on the intake pipe where it use to enter, and coupled the new hose with the other two hoses before the catch can.... Then had the tube from the catch can go back to the intake pipe...... First time I installed it I did it with the two hoses, but noticed the third hose also had oil in it.........

peace

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can any of you circle the 2 hoses im supposed to connect to the can?

·
Banned
601 Posts
one goes into the right side of the metal pipe on the front of the stock top mount intercooler. Ther middle one is under the throttle body and connected to the turbo inlet pipe with a pretty thick tube(same size as other 2). The left side one comes from the same place on the opposite side of the engine that the right one comes from.... I think it's hooked upto the left side of the metal piping on the front of the intercooler, but I forget. Anywhoo, you just get all three tubes connected, then have the one coupled tube go into the catch can. The tube going out of the catch can goes to the turbo intake pipe. All of the places that have had hoses removed on the turbo intake pipe need to be plugged... I just cut some of the old hose off, glued the inside and put it back on... I opted to use all new hoses since I figered the bigger diamiter the better, the stock hoses were to short, and the ones that came with the catch can were crappy......

peace

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
so are these catch cans really worth it or not? I under stand the idea, but i dont like the look of it in the engine bay unless it is really benefical/important to engine

·
Banned
601 Posts
if you are running above stock boost, and want your car to run correctly for a good amount of time, an oil catch can will help....

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Because of increased boost? No. Alot of NA race cars run them so they can run more efficiently. Instead of having the engine oil blow-by being routed into the intake and burned off in the combustion chambers, the blow-by is collected in the catch can. The allows the combustion chambers to not get as gunked up as the would usually. How many cars come with catch cans? Can you think of any?

·
Banned
601 Posts
with the increased airflow of the turbo, and more fuel creating bigger explosions in the combusition chabers, more pressure is generated....... This creates a need for the oil catch can.....well, if you want to keep your induction, boost control, and what not free of oil.......

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You can survive without it.

WRX's w/ catch cans<WRX's without catch cans

It's not big deal. It is not needed for a daily driver but it can give you peace of mind if you are really worried about it. Daily drivers do not go through the same high rpm driving that race cars do.

·
Banned
601 Posts
well, I could live without it, but I already have one:). When I replaced my stock turbo, I took the intercooler off, and noticed oil inside the intercooler. I then looked in the turbo ilet pipe, and there was oil in there, with oil on my air filter, on the maf, and in my turbo. This was all from when I was running 15.5psi of boost. Now I was upgrading to 18psi, so I figured it would be a good idea to clean everything out and put a catch can in so the things I pay for last...... I know I can live without it, but my car might not be able to......

If someone is running above stock boost, they are probably going to use it. Really, I drive my car pretty hard, and would do almost anything to stop it from slowing down or falling apart, short from not driving it so hard. Race drivers don't need to think about how many miles their cars last and stuff like that because all they do is put money into their cars. Some people who mod their cars are not like that, and wouldn't mind their cars lasting at normal performance for as long as possible.... Race car drivers are also constantly working on their cars, and many people who upgrade their wrx's don't.... I have obviously chosen what I want since I have one, I just want everyone out there to know how important they actually are when running their cars hard....

peace

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
To reiterate: you don't NEED one for a daily driver, but it could give you peace of mind. It's up to the individual.

Funny how this conversation went into the benefits of this mod rather than telling the guy how to hook up the part. :p

·
Banned
601 Posts
I thought we already went over that:). Ever wonder what stronger gears would do with a wrx running 450hp? Yes, they would give you peice of mind, but they would also make the drivedrain last longer.... Sorta like a catch can will make the engine last longer.... It's not all about piece of mind...

peace

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
So yes, I am a newb at catch cans as well. And I don't really understand where they connect.

I have one similar to the one in this photo, on my VW bug motor. It is a breather system, to allow the excess pressure to bleed off from the crank case. 2 of the 3 hoses went to the valve covers. The other went to the the oil filler pipe/generator holder. On our motors, I suppose this system comes from both valve covers and the PCV valve, which is located on the turbo inlet pipe, just like the picture below.. Correct?

Is this the same thing a catch can does? Does it also allow the motor to bleed off ecxess pressure? And do the hoses go to the same places I specified above?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts