ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys today i installedmy oil catch can on a 02 wrx reason being is because the other day i pulled out my IC and piping and there seem to be a fair amount of blow by and my car was also burning a bit of oil due to blue smoke under hard accelration after i cleaned the blow by and throttle body it seem to stop blowing blue smoke or not as much so i installed a oil catch can i heard this helps with blow by simply installed today took about 30min drove the car for about 1 hour and came back and had a look at the hosing and i did not see any oil spits or marks in the hoses as i got clear hoses is it because i havent hooked it up correctly or do i just need to dive it some time,my oil is full according to the dip stick and the return line is recirculated back into the intake from the catch can, moral of the story is it set up correct pics attached thaks guyys :) the oil catch can is five racing im from australia IMG054.jpg IMG055.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You hooked to the valve cover vents. You need to hook up to the crankcase vent (on the top of the block under the TMIC) and PCV valve.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You hooked to the valve cover vents. You need to hook up to the crankcase vent (on the top of the block under the TMIC) and PCV valve.
Were can i find step by step instructions? I followed the helix catch can install

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
This is how the stock PCV system works. Also shown is how I set up my system. I use two catch cans.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is how the stock PCV system works. Also shown is how I set up my system. I use two catch cans.
thans dude i connected the catch can to the crank case like you said but still no blow by in the hhoses after a 1 hour drive there is oil in the engine but no oil marks through the pipes :(

i connected it through the crank case vent under the tmic and intercepted the catch can through the intake port closes to turbo i didnt touch the pcv port because i dont have fittings or a second catch can so i just did the crank case one i just wanna know do i need to give it some time ?
thans mate

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
It takes time. The PCV valve gets the most blowby.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thans guyss yous really help alot i will be getting a couple of t peices to run the pcv through the catch can soon aswell hopefully this helps stops blow by going into my engine :)

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Why so many (more than 3) hoses for a single catch can? That doesn't seem right to me, but I can't really determine where some of those hoses are going. This vid may help you sanity check it all - GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator (AOS) Install - YouTube Start at 3:28. It's Grimmspeed's oil cap type, but the principle is the same.

ps - What type of hose is that? Please don't say silicone.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Looks like he T-ed the crankcase vent and head breathers into one catch can.

You don't want to do this as it can disrupt the designed flow of the pcv system. There should be a seperate catch can for both head breathers and crankcase vents.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
guys the set up is the crankcase and pcv intercepted by one catch can ive ben driving around like that for a bout a day now but still no oil in the lines theres should be some oil

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why so many (more than 3) hoses for a single catch can? That doesn't seem right to me, but I can't really determine where some of those hoses are going. This vid may help you sanity check it all - GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator (AOS) Install - YouTube Start at 3:28. It's Grimmspeed's oil cap type, but the principle is the same.

ps - What type of hose is that? Please don't say silicone.
no its not silicone pressure hose uptoo 120psi 80deggrees celcius

1 - 17 of 17 Posts