Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
What oil and oil filter brand would you guys recommend for a 2017 WRX?
Subaru Oil and Subaru filter. If you're avid about doing it yourself then Amsoil or Motul for the oil and either Wix or Purolator PureOne for a filter. Rotella T6 is also a very popular oil, but it's not quite the factory recommended viscosity.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I swear by Motul 8100 XClean 5W30 and the subaru oE Black Toyo Roki oil filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just had my first oil change in my 2017 wrx. I use AMSoil signature series full synthetic. It protects better at high temps which turbo engines do get hot. I did some research and found this oil had a ton of good reviews. I use the OEM filter to keep the oil pressure the same. The only thing is if you start changing oil from factory you need to stick with the same brand pretty much every time. That's what I've read and been told by a few people and subaru service techs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Motul 8100

I have a '17 WRX and was reading somewhere that high-end sports car enthusiasts with turbos made a strong case for using Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40. While it's not the recommended WRX viscosity, they implied that it offers more power, longer-lasting results and just better overall. Supposedly 10,000 miles between oil changes?? I'm going to try it. Amazon has it in 5-litre jugs for $50--a very good price. If you like Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic they have 4.75 liters for $26. I ended up paying Amazon under $100 to change the synthetic oil and filters on both my Subarus (WRX / Legacy).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a '17 WRX and was reading somewhere that high-end sports car enthusiasts with turbos made a strong case for using Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40. While it's not the recommended WRX viscosity, they implied that it offers more power, longer-lasting results and just better overall. Supposedly 10,000 miles between oil changes?? I'm going to try it. Amazon has it in 5-litre jugs for $50--a very good price. If you like Mobil 1 Full-Synthetic they have 4.75 liters for $26. I ended up paying Amazon under $100 to change the synthetic oil and filters on both my Subarus (WRX / Legacy).
I wouldn't use 5W40 in the FA20. I'd stick to the weight that Subaru recommends. Running full 5W40 could cause issues especially if you're looking to run close to 10K mile OCI. There are a lot of posts on here about our WRXs for why not to run it but if you did decide to, change it at 5k and get a blackstone on it, youll need another quart on there since its 5.4 quarts. Also I'd advise against Mobil 1 as well as Boxers seem to drink it.

The new variant of Motul 8100 XClean is actually very good and although my oci is 4k miles, Blackstone said try for 5000. I autox my car and drive it 'spirited', if you granny drive it then maybe you could go over 5k. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,897 Posts
It matters. It's resistance to shear is extremely important. You don't want your oil thinking out under pressure burning up bearings or turbos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts