ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many Qt of motor oil I need to put during oil change??

4.7 Qt???:confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Any idea why my 9-2x manual says 4.2 qt's? I have to change my oil this weekend and this discrepancy scares me. I didn't call the Saab dealership but I'm 99% sure they will be clueless since it's a new product and they have proven to be nothing but dumbasses to date.

I guess I'll just have to add a little bit at a time over the 4.2 checking the level after running the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
banderson said:
Any idea why my 9-2x manual says 4.2 qt's? I have to change my oil this weekend and this discrepancy scares me. I didn't call the Saab dealership but I'm 99% sure they will be clueless since it's a new product and they have proven to be nothing but dumbasses to date.

I guess I'll just have to add a little bit at a time over the 4.2 checking the level after running the motor.
Maybe the SAAB version doesn't have the oil cooler the WRX has? Maybe it has a shallow oil pan compared to WRX? Just throwing out some thoughts here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Are 05 oil capacities different from 04 and below? My manual for my STI states 4.8. My 04 rex was 4.8 also. Let me know, thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
4.8 Quarts of oil are nominal for the WRX's EJ20 engine. For banderson in Jersey: I am under the impression that Saab has put the same EJ20 engine from Fuji Heavy Industries into their new 92X. I can't imagine that they would have decreased the oil pan size. But I am only speculating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
It may be that they are not adding in for the oil filter.

4.2 if you don't change the filter maybe?

I have seen some manuals do that. Otherwise, I don't know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Oil Amount

Just changed my oil for the first time on my 9-2X. It took the full 4.8 quarts so the manual is correct.

(By the way, as a matter of policy, my first change on all my new cars is always at 500 mi. just to get any crap out that is left behind, shaved or broken off, etc. Not a bad idea since you wouldn't beleive what I've found before (a sea of silvery particles, sharp shavings, chunks of metal). But I have to say that this was absolutely the cleanest first change I've ever seen. They do a ggod job at the factory with this engine.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
FYI Saabarubian the WRX has a magnetic drain plug to grab metal particles. I would think your faux WRX Saabaru does too. Be sure to clean it off at every oil change and get a new drain plug gasket.
 

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
Joined
·
28,990 Posts
See the existing discussion on filters. The filter size spec'ed for newer cars is smaller than the older filter. This might explain the discrepancy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
I dumped a full 5qts in last time. It seemed like it needed it. Maybe I am .2 qts too full tho. I doubt that would make much of a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I'm pretty sensitive to overfilling. Apparently high levels can lead to excessive mixing of air into the oil (foaming) which is dangerous due to decreased lubrication. Better to be a half quart under than over.
(BTW, if I don't change it myself, I ALWAYS check it after. A year ago one garage accidently put two and a half quarts too much in right before I was going on a long trip. I had to drain it out in the middle of the night and I was pi**ed but they were really good about it and gave me two free changes later.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
The manual on my 05 WRX says 4.2 and I initially put that much in. The level looked fine, but dropped after I started it and let it run for a bit. Assuming the "lost" oil was now in the new filter, I added another half quart or so and it's now right at the full mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Mr. Poon said:
The manual on my 05 WRX says 4.2 and I initially put that much in. The level looked fine, but dropped after I started it and let it run for a bit. Assuming the "lost" oil was now in the new filter, I added another half quart or so and it's now right at the full mark.
Well, sounds like you're right around 4.7 quarts. Your rex is probably happier now. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
fsidesmith said:
Well, sounds like you're right around 4.7 quarts. Your rex is probably happier now. :D
Oh, it's happier alright. Much happier than, say, the two idiots in the Grand Am that were going intentionally slow on the way home from work this evening, only to floor it when I moved out to pass them. I was going to downshift into 3rd but figured, why bother? No need to.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top