ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searching before posting this question and couldn't find a satisfactory answer. I have a stock 04 WRX with 16" wheels. I love the handling but need to improve the appearance with at least new wheels. Thinking of 17"s. What's the lowest offset on 17x7 wheels I can go with and keep the handling change and future bearing damage minimal. I believe my current offset is +48, would +40 be pushing it? With 215x45 tires. Thanks for any guidance here! :redface:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
If you're interested in increased handling, you want the ability to increase your tire contact patch, which means wider wheels; wider wheels allow you to run wider tires.

That said, you also need to factor in the weight of the wheels; cheaper wheels (e.g., Rota) tend to be heavier than more expensive alternatives (e.g., OZ).

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Since you're looking to maintain the stock appearance and wear characteristics on suspension components, you'd take the .5" you've added, divide it by 2, and add that to your offset. So basically just subtract 6-7 mm to your stock offset and you'll end up about as close to stock as you can.

At 48 you're basically the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not too concerned with increasing handling, I just don't want it to get worse by the shorter offset. BTW, what would be the problem with heavier wheel weight?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Heavier wheel weight makes three things work more poorly on your car:
1. Suspension response is diminished.
2. Acceleration is slower.
3. Braking is longer.

And of course there's the additional cost of the larger tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you're looking to maintain the stock appearance and wear characteristics on suspension components, you'd take the .5" you've added, divide it by 2, and add that to your offset. So basically just subtract 6-7 mm to your stock offset and you'll end up about as close to stock as you can.

At 48 you're basically the same.
I think I got it. So my stock wheel is 6.5"?. I didn't know that. I should be ok then right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts