ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being that Sinister refers to me as the Lighting Wh0re, I think it is appropriate I start a lighting thread. Use this thread for discussion about lighting, both interior and exterior, showing off the lighting mods you have done, etc etc. I will start with the lighting on my bugeye. Here is the lighting mods list and some pics:

Interior:
LED Dome Light (48 LED's)
LED Map Lights (12 LED's each)
LED Trunk Light (5 LED's)
Modified Clock - Red numbers
Modified HVAC - Red LED's
Modified Key Ring - Red LED

Headlights:
Lightwerkz Retrofit
Clear lense FX-R Bixenon projectors
Morimoto 5Five (50w) Ballasts
Morimoto 5Five (50w) D2S 5000K bulbs
Theretrofitsource 9007 wiring harness
Ocular Shrouds
Chrome covered amber turn signals
Chrome covered hyper white running bulb

Taillights:
07 Tail lights
Painted lower housing in metallic gunmetal
Lightly tinted

Fog Lights:
Stock 03 fog lights
Retrofitting with Lexus IS300 projectors (clear lens)
Morimoto 3Five (35W) Ballasts
Morimoto 3Five (35W) 9006 3000k Bulbs
Theretrofitsource H1/H3 wiring harness

And here are some pictures:

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. I will be doing the LED reverse light mod at some point in the near future

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
GarrettKoonsman said:
Very nice. I will be doing the LED reverse light mod at some point in the near future
If you have the same bulbs as me, I have a full set of LEDs left over. If I can put locate them, you can save some $$...

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Headlights:
Morette projectors with Osram Rally 65w H7 low beam and Philips Vision Plus H1 high beam

Tails:
07 STI with LED stop and brake (have no recollection where I got the bulbs)

Fogs:
Hella 500FF with Nokya hyper yellow H3
Hella FF50 with Nokya hyper yellow H7

Nice thing is I'm running 14.4 volts due to the diode alternator mod. More volts = brighter lights :)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have the same bulbs as me, I have a full set of LEDs left over. If I can put locate them, you can save some $$...
That would be sweet. Should be a 7440 since they are 07 tails.

Donkey - I should look into the diode mod, I love brightness

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
GarrettKoonsman said:
That would be sweet. Should be a 7440 since they are 07 tails.
I have the day off Friday. I'll let you know if I find them...

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Nice thing is I'm running 14.4 volts due to the diode alternator mod. More volts = brighter lights :)

can you elaborate? I see from your mods link that you are running an '08 alt.....how was it modified?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
are the LED brake lights brighter than stock?
Slightly. But the more important thing is the bulbs have about 35 LED's each. So if one or two (or 10!) fail you still have tail lights/brake lights. I have been running them for close to 4 years now.

can you elaborate? I see from your mods link that you are running an '08 alt.....how was it modified?
The alternator isn't moddified,just the reference wire in the harness is.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interior-mods/134304424-alternator-mod-1-2-volt-more-1-a.html?highlight=diode

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after finally getting to drive with my fogs at night without being around street lights, I can honestly say they make a big difference even with my 50W HID retrofit. I plan on completing the Independent fog light mod in the next day or two and I honestly think my fog lights by themselves are brighter than most standard headlights. They have a low cutoff so I wouldn't use them as headlights but either way it is impressive. If someone were to use them with stock headlights they would outshine the headlights by far

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
They have a low cutoff so I wouldn't use them as headlights but either way it is impressive. If someone were to use them with stock headlights they would outshine the headlights by far
What do you mean by "outshine"? the stock low beams aren't intended to illuminate very close range (that's what fogs are for). If your fogs are outdistancing the low beams, then the cutoff needs to be much lower. My fogs basically end where the low beams start, with maybe a foot of perceived overlap from the driver's point of view. I think your projector fog mod is neat though!

Neat Audi lighting concept:

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By outshine I mean brightness close to the car. They are definitely quite low and don't extend very far but they are very wide and bright. And honestly, as bad as stock bugeye headlights are without a good bulb upgrade, it wouldn't surprise me if they are pretty close in usefulness.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have seen that Audi LED stuff. They are doing LED headlights now but they aren't as bright as a good HID setup. BMW is now researching and coming up with Laser headlights

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
OLED tail lights are neat looking, but I am 75% hoping that they never are released on consumer vehicles. They are flashy and fun to look at, but they are no more useful than normal LED bulbs....not to mention would likely distract some drivers.

The 25% of me that wants them to come out is so that I could hack them to display messages to other drivers....like:

your rear tire is low (seen a few drivers in older cars driving with dangerously low tires at highway speeds)
back the f### up (for tail-gaters)
your loosing (for evo drivers)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts