Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can feel my car's oem clutch life slowly giving away. I think I'll need to replace one pretty soon...

so here are my questions.

-how do i know when its actually time to replace the clutch without dismounting the tranny or any complicated processes or without waiting until my car stops moving in gear?

-I don't drive aggresively daily. I probably do 3-4 4k rpm launches a month. Should I replace my clutch with oem or aftermarket?

-What are the cons and pros of aftermarket clutch?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
You know you have to replace the clutch when you can feel/hear the slippage of the clutch(particularly at higher rpms). Furthermore, you'll feel like there's no more pulling power driving the wheels even though the rpms are going up.

Aftermarket clutches is pretty broad. It could mean just a grippier clutch disk, more clamping force via the pressure plate, easier modulation, etc etc....Then there's also multiplate clutches that offer higher clamp without the need of a heavy clutching action at the foot.

If you don't have much more power than stock, there's really no need for more clamp force...a grippier disk will result in more instant(or harsher) engagement which typically is less preferable for daily commuting but may be preferred for better response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would go with an aftermaket, the stock setup just cant handle hard lanches. I am gonna be changing mine pretty soon. you should checkout clutchnet they have sone good discs with stong center hubs, great for hard launches and durability.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts