ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an Exedy OEM replacement clutch for my 2002 Stage4 WRX w/ 130k (stock clutch/flywheel so far).

I keep hearing that resurfacing the stock flywheel is a gamble. The shop (specializes in Subies) said they'll do it but they STRONGLY recommend a flywheel, preferably a lightweight one between 12-14lbs.

The Exedy lightweight flywheels are pricey and the ACT Streetlight XACT seems like a good alternative for $100 less. It's 14 lbs so it's not crazy light.

My concerns are:

1) Will a lightweight flywheel put more stress on the trans?

2) My car is custom tuned... will I need to retune based on the quicker revs due to the lightened flywheel?

I'd prefer to just resurface/leave the stock flywheel but my worry is that I'll get grinding and chatter from that and need to drop another $500 on labor to drop the trans again.

Thanks!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
It shouldn't add anymore stress on the transmission, if anything, the clutch would do that if you got a heavy duty one.

As far as retuning, no you don't need to.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It shouldn't add anymore stress on the transmission, if anything, the clutch would do that if you got a heavy duty one.

As far as retuning, no you don't need to.
I made sure to stick with OEM spec clutch. I'm trying to put as little stress on the gears as possible at this point.

So theoretically I'd be mating the OEM spec Exedy clutch with ACT lightweight flywheel. Will this be okay for all intents of purposes of preserving reliability and maintaining driveability?

Also, what's your take on a flywheel resurfacing with 130k on it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I made sure to stick with OEM spec clutch. I'm trying to put as little stress on the gears as possible at this point.

So theoretically I'd be mating the OEM spec Exedy clutch with ACT lightweight flywheel. Will this be okay for all intents of purposes of preserving reliability and maintaining driveability?

Also, what's your take on a flywheel resurfacing with 130k on it?
Correct, you'll be fine.

I agree that you should just replace it.

FYI, I sent you a PM.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Subaru doesn't specify a resurfacing spec, they just recommend replacement. Some shops will resurface (to what tolerance, I have no idea), others don't.

I had my clutch replaced at 90k, and the dealer used an ink on the flywheel to check for micro stresses. They showed me the cracks, and replaced it completely. At 130k, I personally would replace. Flywheels are cheap, and best to be safe the first time, IMO.

As for a lightweight flywheel, I chose against it after driving my friend's car with one. It made the throttle too jumpy for my tastes, and stop and go traffic sucked even more since the car was frustratingly hard to modulate at low speed. I'd try it yourself on someone else's car if you can. Some like the feeling, I didnt.

I have heard of error codes with lightweight flywheels because the knock sensor can get confused, but I think that's only a big deal on the super lightweight wheels, IIRC.

For what it's worth, my dealer did the whole job with OEM parts for $600 out the door. I have a good relationship with them, so they cut me a deal.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Subaru doesn't specify a resurfacing spec, they just recommend replacement. Some shops will resurface (to what tolerance, I have no idea), others don't.

I had my clutch replaced at 90k, and the dealer used an ink on the flywheel to check for micro stresses. They showed me the cracks, and replaced it completely. At 130k, I personally would replace. Flywheels are cheap, and best to be safe the first time, IMO.

As for a lightweight flywheel, I hose hose against it after driving my friend's car with one. It made the throttle too jumpy for my tastes, and stop and go traffic sucked even more since the car was frustratingly hard to modulate at low speed. I'd try it yourself on someone else's car if you can. Some like the feeling, I didnt.

I have heard of error codes with lightweight flywheels because the knock sensor can get confused, but I think that's only a big deal on the super lightweight wheels, IIRC.

For what it's worth, my dealer did the whole job with OEM parts for $600 out the door. I have a good relationship with them, so they cut me a deal.
Ugh, I hate you for getting a deal like that!

Thanks for your input. My understanding is that the code only gets thrown with excessively light flywheels and lightened crank pulley. A 14lb flywheel won't be an issue.

That being said, your concern about daily driving in traffic has raised an eyebrow. I commute daily to work in some stop&go traffic and don't need anything making it more difficult. Is the lightened flywheel and rev senstitivity just something you get used to after a while?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,208 Posts
One gets used to it but the car does not change behaviour, rather it is the driver that accepts it or not. The lighter the jerkier generally, that's why SOA changed all those clutches and flywheels for free back in 03 when the initial parts were too light and too grabby respectively I think. I tend to like stock units but your choice does not sound extreme at all. IDK.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One gets used to it but the car does not change behaviour, rather it is the driver that accepts it or not. The lighter the jerkier generally, that's why SOA changed all those clutches and flywheels for free back in 03 when the initial parts were too light and too grabby respectively I think. I tend to like stock units but your choice does not sound extreme at all. IDK.
I would actually prefer an OEM spec flywheel rather than the lightweight... It's just hard to find one... only thing I've found is from Exedy and they run ~ $350 which seems ridiculous to me. Maybe I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I would actually prefer an OEM spec flywheel rather than the lightweight... It's just hard to find one... only thing I've found is from Exedy and they run ~ $350 which seems ridiculous to me. Maybe I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.
I didn't drive the lightweight extensively, so I can't say about getting used to it, but I'm sure you would. A 14lb is too far off of stock, so the problem would be less noticeable, I imagine. I can't remember what my friend's was, but I think I was towards the middle of the weight range. Yeah, give the dealer a call and see what they can do. I was all ready to have Cobb do it with Exedy parts in the $1200 range, but the dealer's offer was too good to pass up. Awesome dealer to work with for once.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts