Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have the a 2002 or 2003 wagon with the OEM bike rack, I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me (since the dealer is clueless).

1. Can you open up the hatch all the way without the spoiler hitting the bikes or rack?

2. Does the factory rack clamp on the factory crossbars or does it attach some other way?

3. How you like your bike rack? Do you recommend it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes, the hatch will open with the bike rack on. There is some adjustment front to back too.

The rack clamps to the factory crossbars, but you have to get the clips. They are a separate part.. The parts guy at our dealer didn't realize this so we had to make another trip. The clips are about $12 I think.

The rack is nice. It's made by Yakima, so you know it isn't junk. It's sturdy, could be lighter if the upright were aluminum instead of steel, but the trays are aluminum. It's a bit of a chore to install and get all adjusted. Not difficult, just time consuming. Once I got it all adjusted, I put it on and take it off by taking off the crossbars with the rack still attached. Take two people to get it on and off safely, but once it's off, it's easily carried by one person. It weighs 20 pounds including the crossbars.

Here's a pic with my kids bikes attached......You cant see the #1 State Champion Plate on my sons bike, but it's there ;)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Racenut3.0 said:
Yes, the hatch will open with the bike rack on. There is some adjustment front to back too.

The rack clamps to the factory crossbars, but you have to get the clips. They are a separate part.. The parts guy at our dealer didn't realize this so we had to make another trip. The clips are about $12 I think.

The rack is nice. It's made by Yakima, so you know it isn't junk. It's sturdy, could be lighter if the upright were aluminum instead of steel, but the trays are aluminum. It's a bit of a chore to install and get all adjusted. Not difficult, just time consuming. Once I got it all adjusted, I put it on and take it off by taking off the crossbars with the rack still attached. Take two people to get it on and off safely, but once it's off, it's easily carried by one person. It weighs 20 pounds including the crossbars.

Here's a pic with my kids bikes attached......You cant see the #1 State Champion Plate on my sons bike, but it's there ;)

What he said, except the part about the kids, cuz I don't have any :p I've had Yakima racks, and it's the exact same thing you get from them (since they made it). I personally would have preferred the kind where the front wheel is removed and the fork attaches, but this one works fine. I got mine off ebay for a pretty good price.

One thing you might look into, if you don't like the rack design, is just get the clips from Subaru. Then you should be able to attach pretty much anything Yakima sells to your OEM crossbars.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wade-0 said:
I personally would have preferred the kind where the front wheel is removed and the fork attaches, but this one works fine.
And here we were liking this one because you DIDN'T have to take the wheel off :p :D No quick release hubs on BMX race bikes ;)

·
1,263 Posts
I love mine.
I love not having to take the wheel off - no mud in the car!
It is very secure and the clamp does not damage the thin aluminium tubing of my MTN bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like I'm going to go with the OEM rack since I have $100 in Subaru bucks to use from my Subaru Chase card.

Wade-0, you made a good point about just getting the clamps and using whichever Yakima rack you want. I thought about doing that, but it seems like the factory one will meet my needs and will cost me less. In this particular case, I'm going to choose convenience over a better quality product...I can be lazy at times :) And like previously mentioned...no mud in the car is always a plus.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
rjc1976 said:
Wade-0, you made a good point about just getting the clamps and using whichever Yakima rack you want. I thought about doing that, but it seems like the factory one will meet my needs and will cost me less. In this particular case, I'm going to choose convenience over a better quality product...I can be lazy at times :) And like previously mentioned...no mud in the car is always a plus.
It's more a matter of preference than quality. All of the OEM gear is made by Yakima, they just put a Subaru label on it. You can buy the Yakima accessories (SKS cores, etc) and they will fit perfectly. I have no complaints whatsoever about the quality of the rack. I just prefer the fork mount bike rack like I had on my last Yakima system, because the bikes don't stand quite as tall on top of the car. But this one works great :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts