Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to pick up a WRX sedan soon. I am trying to decide on the OEM alarm versus the Lojack alarm that can be installed in tandem with the lojack locator. After the lojack locator the alarms are the same price installed. I do like the plug and play aspect of the OEM alarm. I cannot find a list of OEM alarm features to compare with the lojack alarm unit. Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I'm not all too familiar with LoJack, but I have a rough idea that it's the same as Boomerang(as we have in Canada). Basically, your car is fitted with a locator(cellular or GPS basically). However, to my knowledge such systems do not have any indicators that the system is installed and thus the thief is not discouraged from initially attempting to steal your car. Is this so with LoJack? The OEM alarm has a siren(adjustable I believe) that can be triggered by the shock sensor, door sensors(4) or the trunk...I don't believe your hood is sensored with the OEM(Canadian version anyway....which is slightly different btw, CDN has a two setting turbo timer...unless you can program it to the US as well) One problem with the OEM alarm in my opinion is that like most car OEM alarms, the location of the module is common to all cars(making it vunerable and indirectly useless)....take some time to look at aftermarket alarms for a similar price(or whatever you are willing to pay) and have a reputable shop install it. You want something that is safe(warns thieves) and you want something that has a clean and concealed wiring. Best wishes

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I agree with darkrex....a regular alarm of some sort is needed and something like LoJack would be good too. In the case of systems like LoJack, if your insurance doesn't require you to install one on your car(eg in the most MBs, you must)..your insurance will give you a rebate on the insurance cost(which is usually about half the cost of the annual fee for monitoring fees from LoJack).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts