Subaru WRX Forum banner

Octane question and CA residents.

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  O-wood 
#1 ·
I'm kind of confused, If California is so "emissions conscious" then why is the highest octane rating that you can get there 91? I was always under the impression that the higher the octane rating, the cleaner the emissions. BP also advertises this fact about their 93 octane fuel on our local radio stations. Does California fuel have other additives that clean up the emissions of the 91 octane? Can't they do the same thing with 93 or 94 octane? Please enlighten me.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
O-wood said:
I agree, higher octane only increases performance not decrease emmisions.
This conflicts with what BP (British Petroleum) advertises. They claim higher octane fuel reduces harmful emissions, that's the reason I'm questioning why CA only uses 91 octane.

Discussion starter · #11 · (Edited)
yodayoda said:
so, learn the facts before you go off half-cocked ranting about california, dumb-ass.
Was that directed toward me? I have been a member of this forum for the past 6 months and have always contributed in a positive manner, I'm sure all of the moderators will verify this. However, your "dumb ass" comment was not at all necessary. How do you interpret my post as "half-cocked" or "ranting"? My opening sentence was, "I am confused", and I was looking for some clarification from California residents regarding this topic, not to be called a dumb ass. I am a 31 year old man who is a management employee in a Verizon call center that employs 1100 people. I am also an FAA certified flight instructor with a Bachelor's degree in Aviation Management, hence the name "Flyboy". Sorry to read you all my resume but I think this qualifies me as not a dumb ass.

I think that an apology is definitely in order, Dumb ass!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.