ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got a 2012 STi a couple weeks ago and I've noticed a few "bumps" in the idle from time to time. Not sure if it's due to gas quality, break in or if there could be an issue. The RPMs don't jump around, there's just a few bumps in the idle every so often. It's not that noticeable but I'm the type that notices everything when it comes to a car. I doubt it's an issue but I just wanted to get some opinions on possible causes. I'll have the dealer check it out when I take it in for the free 7500 mile service if it doesn't clear up. Thanks guys and gals!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I am not 100% sure if it's an issue but I will give my .02.

I am on my 5th Subaru
WRX
STi
Forester
Legecy GT
STi

All of them have those occasional "bumps" at stop lights and general idling. I feel it may just be something the boxer engines do from time to time.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Or your A/C is kicking on (will also happen on defrost which uses A/C)

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've noticed it with and without the A/C running but I'm glad to hear it's pretty common with the boxer. This is my first boxer so I'm slowly getting used to it. It's hard for me because I'm the type that hears every noise a car makes and the STi makes a ton...but most I've heard are normal from what I've read. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Going with with mycologist said its very common for the car to do a little shaking when the AC kicks on and off. Like you however I have experienced the "bump" with no AC/defrost running. Simply sitting at a stop light with the windows down listening to the engine noise.

I have learned that it's nothing to worry about, but if your still concerned then have your dealer look at it anyway. Always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
Or your A/C is kicking on (will also happen on defrost which uses A/C)
This!!

If your using your brakes as well. The brake booster will draw some parasitic loss. Try this sometime: pump your brakes at a stop light and you will feel the car stutter for a split second.

·
Premium Member
26,609 Posts
This!!

If your using your brakes as well. The brake booster will draw some parasitic loss. Try this sometime: pump your brakes at a stop light and you will feel the car stutter for a split second.
That isn't parasitic loss. That is a sudden vacuum change and the IAC compensating for it.

·
Æternum
20,568 Posts
That isn't parasitic loss. That is a sudden vacuum change and the IAC compensating for it.
Ha, good point. I definitely didn't word that correctly... it's not like the brake booster is connected directly to the crankshaft.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've noticed it with and without the A/C running but I'm glad to hear it's pretty common with the boxer. This is my first boxer so I'm slowly getting used to it. It's hard for me because I'm the type that hears every noise a car makes and the STi makes a ton...but most I've heard are normal from what I've read. Thanks for the replies!
I hear it in my 2012 wrx too. Engine goes regular boxer UHL rumble and then slight miss (not a miss..but misiing a beat for a 1/10 second?)...only if you are really listning to the engine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts