Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi,

I have a question: how much information can you get with that tool from a WRX? Do all the cars on the market come with some type of "universal" content of data, or it depends on how the manufacturer set it tup? For instance, maybe Porsche has 200 different entries to monitor, like temperature od different part of the engine, etc. And maybe Subaru has only 185 entries... do you guys know what I mean? How is it setup?

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OBDII is designed as a universal diagnostic system. Even though different cars will have a different number of diagnostic codes -- each code follows a specific format.

One of the reasons Porsche will have more codes, is because it is a 6 cylinder engine, just as the Outback H6 VDC. There are codes that will specific point to a cylinder, say a misfire in cylinder #5, and so on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. A good tool that we all should have in the car in my opinion. Unless you know a friend mechanic who will read any code for free.
Agreed. As my wrx is getting more and more miles I'm finding out that a diagnostic tool is becoming more of a need than a want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts