ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1). Just installed exhaust from turbo back and got this error code after 45 miles of driving with the new system. I'm going to re torque all bolts and check the o2 sensor again. Has anyone else had this issue with aftermarket exhaust? Can I clean the o2 sensor to read properly? Any suggestions would be helpful!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Are you running a catless downpipe? Also I am assuming you have this tuned right, if so with that?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,447 Posts
Search for down pipe cel fix. Electronic and mechanical are your options. If you are remapping the car (you should) you can do it electronically.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
High flow catted DP. Tuning to stage 2 93 oct with Cobb ap at the moment. Torqued all the bolts on the system to 25 ft lbs some werent as tight as they needed to be. Will report back if I have problems. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
High flow catted DP. Tuning to stage 2 93 oct with Cobb ap at the moment. Torqued all the bolts on the system to 25 ft lbs some werent as tight as they needed to be. Will report back if I have problems. Thanks guys.
Make sure you are doing a reflash and not a realtime flash.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did. Everything is good. Still need to adjust from the y-pipe back so the v band at the midpipe junction isn't so close to the axle boot. Perrin says there should be 3/4 in. Clearance but I don't know how the hell they expect you to do that while keeping the mufflers adjusted to mirror one another. Guess I just need to play with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I got the same code with my catted DP. I just got rid of it using the tactrix and romraider, since you're using an AP it's just as easy to turn off if it comes back. Funny though one of the reasons I got the catted DP was so I wouldn't get this code. Oh well I feel better since it's good for the environment???? or something like that.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You shouldn't need to "turn it off" with the AP as it already should have been. Read the map notes. Doesn't matter catted or not. If the exhaust is aftermarket it is going to flow more than stock. That is the issue with the P0420.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why is it necessary to reflash rather than do a realtime flash? My car is flashed for the anti-theft mode and running a realtime stage 2 91 octane Cobb map. I installed a high-flow catted downpipe (cat is located behind the O2 sensor) recently, and went on a road trip. I didn't go over 3500 rpm until after 100 miles and had a wastegate error (overboost) several hundred miles into the trip and then reflashed and drove another 300 miles with no issue and then had the P0420 code tonight. Since the O2 sensor is in front of the cat it seems only natural to get this code, and it sounds like I should just check the torque of bolts and the sensor.

Anyway, I need to log data to check everything, but my question is about the difference between the flashed map versus the realtime map. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Realtime map is only there 'till you turn off the car, it's advantage is you can flash to it as you are driving. All it does is change some parameters in the real-time tables, the flashed image stays as-is. To keep the map permanently, you have to re-flash. Disconnecting the battery won't affect the flashed map, it'll still be there 'till you either re-flash or unmarry the AP

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Why is it necessary to reflash rather than do a realtime flash? Since the O2 sensor is in front of the cat it seems only natural to get this code, and it sounds like I should just check the torque of bolts and the sensor.

Anyway, I need to log data to check everything, but my question is about the difference between the flashed map versus the realtime map. Please elaborate.
Because the reflash contains more logic than the realtime,especially concerning the OBD II system. Reflash changes the ROM while realtime effects RAM. Also the P0420 has to do with the rear O2,which is actually located in the cat

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got the code p0420 with all three lights blinking. I changed the rear o2 sensor it went away for like two weeks but then came back. I have a 2010 wrx with header and a full exhaust from up pipe to down pipe with a cat. Need help the car has turn off twice when i have came to a stop and it started to idle rough might i add it also has a FMIC

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,447 Posts
If the car has not been mapped for the parts it needs to be mapped. If the car is mapped first look for a mechanical fault and then post logs in the tuning forum.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Dollar says it hasn't been remapped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard from Cobb that you if are running stage 2 and have an aftermarket down-pipe, you should not be running anything else but stage2. I would call Cobb on this one guys.

·
Registered
314 Posts
^ Welcome John! This thread is 5 years old, thinking it got sorted out.
Nah I heard he parted the car out and burned the shell

a sad day

1 - 20 of 24 Posts