Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope a few other people can benefit from this, but I've searched and can't come up with anything similar...
I have an 03 Wagon, Catless HKS uppipe, & Catless Turbo-Xs Stealth turboback. The EGT Bung on the uppipe is plugged with a bolt, and I've done the resistor mod for the EGT sensor, no problems there. I've also done the O2 MIL eliminator from ponyexpress, which worked fine up until a week ago. I got a CEL, had it pulled at Auto Zone and it came back as an O2 sensor problem. I checked the wiring, it's fine, disconnected the MIL and tested it, it's fine. The weird part is, I clipped the O2 wires to remove and test the MIL eliminator, taped the ends and restarted the car with 2 out of the 4 O2 sensor wires cut, and the CEL is gone. I've only driven 27 miles so far, but still no CEL :confused: Does the stock ECU throw a check engine light if you totally remove a sensor (which is basically what I did by clipping 2 of the 4 wires) I'm at a loss. Did I just discover a new 02 sensor CEL fix by just cutting the wires? :confused1

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It happened a couple weeks after I tightened everything... but nice call Ryan, I totally forgot about the front sensor. For some reason I can't even picture where the front one screws in? I'll put it up on ramps tonight and check it, maybe it's just loose again. Still not sure why I wouldn't get a CEL from the rear O2 :screwy:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Did you reset the ECU after futzin' with the rear O2 sensor it will probably take a little while for the CEL to come on after the ECU has been reset... Maybe you tightened it too tight :p

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no such thing as too tight :mad: :D I've reset the ECU twice now, the light came back on in about 10 minutes after the first reset, not at all after the second reset once the resistor was cut out. I think a late night trip up to Gold Hill may kick it back on :wiggles:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well this is amusing, you know how we have just about the exact same set up?..... my car threw a cel on the hill into Lousville last night. :rolleyes: I haven't got a chance to check it yet... maybe its the O2 sensor. I was going uphill in 5th [email protected] 70mph and it just popped on, the only thing that I can think of is partial throttle full boost. :confused:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nope not the O2, it was a high egt...hmm maybe time to turn down the boost.

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Sam and Ryan thread. Do you have the MIL eliminator? I guess the only difference is you have the third cat...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the helix CEL fix, not the MIL. The only difference that would make is that the MIL fix is originally made for the Mustang, but the Helix fix is made for the WRX. I know a lot of people use the MIL without any problems. Mike Shaw sells the Helix fix.
Do you think I should turn down the boost on my car or just start using the egt resistor fix to mask any cels?
Our thread rox! :wiggles:

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't seem like a boost thing. Although I have very little knowledge to base that off of...eh well. But if you're getting an EGT code, you might want to take out the stock sensor anyway and just plug the hole just in case it's getting too hot.

This can be our own little secret smack talking thread about the mountain states people, let's see who notices it first. My money is on Zem, I can't believe he hasn't hijacked us yet :rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well.... the hole is already plugged with an egt sensor, so all I would have to do is put the resistor fix back in. :screwy:
Unless you think it will fry the egt and shoot it into the turba.
This thread is invisible to everyone else, muhahahahah

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh no, an invader! J/k. My problem is I don't know the code number, when AutoZone told me it was the O2 sensor I thought I knew the problem, so I didn't ask. Now the CEL is gone (for the moment) so i'm clueless....do you know the code number you're getting Ryan?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Mine is a P0546.
Can you tell wether it's the front or rear O2 from the code?

·
Registered
663 Posts
According to a handy OBDII book in front of me. you could have thrown a code anywhere from P0130 to p0167, except for P0148 and 9) they are all O2 sensor codes. Narrowing it down from 35 possible codes would probably be a good idea.
A guy I work with has his OBII scanner here today, let me know if you can throw the code again and stop by and I can pull it.

·
Banned
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm trying to get it to throw again, but it won't :mad: Lol, the light finally goes away and now I want it back :confused1
I'll let you know when it comes back, but it probably won't by the end of today

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm having pretty much the same problem, I don't know if my wiring job failed or what.
My cel will come on within like 10 seconds of me resetting the ECU though, almost as soon as I turn it on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I remember correctly, the code P0546 is actually a LOW EGT, not a high EGT. It is a high input to the circuit, which means it is a low temp. I threw the same code for the first time the other day on a drive to Omaha (my EGTs never went above 760C). I'd never gotten that code before, so I did get a little concerned, although supposedly the resistor mod is supposed to solve that code problem. I have yet to plug the hole for the factory EGT, and do the resistor mod, although I have heard about that being a sign of the sensor going bad. And in some cases actually breaking apart and going into the turbo. The sensor is not needed anymore, especially if you have a aftermarket EGT gauge. As for why you would get the code with a resistor in there, the only logical thig I could think of is that the resistor has failed? Maybe it is getting hot, and changing it's properties just enough to throw the code? Just a suggestion... :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Weedy said:
If I remember correctly, the code P0546 is actually a LOW EGT, not a high EGT. It is a high input to the circuit, which means it is a low temp. I threw the same code for the first time the other day on a drive to Omaha (my EGTs never went above 760C). I'd never gotten that code before, so I did get a little concerned, although supposedly the resistor mod is supposed to solve that code problem. I have yet to plug the hole for the factory EGT, and do the resistor mod, although I have heard about that being a sign of the sensor going bad. And in some cases actually breaking apart and going into the turbo. The sensor is not needed anymore, especially if you have a aftermarket EGT gauge. As for why you would get the code with a resistor in there, the only logical thig I could think of is that the resistor has failed? Maybe it is getting hot, and changing it's properties just enough to throw the code? Just a suggestion... :)
Wow! excellent information. Thanks.
It would actually make perfect sense that my egt temp was too low. I have a gutted uppipe so there isn't a catalytic converter in there to keep it warm. I was not using the resistor because I don't have an aftermarket egt gauge to make sure that everything was still ok (I figured the ECU would over-react and I would know somethings up). I've gone about 5k miles with the egt plugged into the ecu, I guess it might throw one now and then. I cleared the code and all seems to be well again. :wiggles:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Ha!!!! I caught you guys. You never suspected me did you???? But yeah. Interesting problems you guys are having. My only input is that my car threw a CEL as soon as I fired it up without the rear O2 plugged (into the car, not the pipe). As far as other problems I had that problem after the DP where I had to do the 2.2k mod and that solved it. Let me find the thread......

edit- http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46357&highlight=2.2k

1 - 20 of 21 Posts