ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday I waxed my new Legacy GT for the first time. I decided to try the new NXT Wax, since everyone seems to like it.

I put it on the same way I put on Meguires Gold Class that I used on my wrx. Put a little on the applicator, then rub into the car. Put it on the entire car. Then I got some very soft cloth towels and started to take it off. I noticed it was very hard to remove. Not matter how hard I rubbed it still looked like smudges of wax were left, they were hard to see, but in the right light you could see the wax because the lines were in the same direction that I applied the wax. I literally spent about 1.5 hours trying to buff out the wax. I ended up using some quick detailer to help get it off. Granted now its very smooth and shinney I don't want to go through this much trouble again trying to remove the stuff.

Could it be that I applied to much, or maybe because it was a bit humid out that the wax never really dried and just kept smudging around. I will probably give the wax another shot, but will try it on a small section and test it to see if it has the same problems.

·
1,816 Posts
I have never applied the wax on the entire car. Usually I just work one section (door or side) at a time, and then wipe off shortly after. Work a section at a time(apply and then wipe off).

-chris

·
Registered
0 Posts
Waxing the new car already? I've always heard that it's best to wait a while to make sure the paint is good and hard. Maybe it's just another car care myth.....

And like he said.. when waxing, it's best to work in sections.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i wasnt overly happy with it either...

i noticed some of the residue still staying and i did it in sections.

im wanting to give it another try as well but first impressions werent what i expected. to the laypeople out there, it looks damn good though :)

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, they say to wait two months after its been painted, and I am pretty sure its been about two months since the car was painted.

I have read different things about when and how to apply the wax. some say do the whole car others say do sections.

I will give it one more shot, maybe waiting for a day the air is dryer and will try doing it in sections.

Oh yeah, I tried the NXT quick detailer wax, was not impressed at all with that one. I have tried a few different brands of quick detailers, best so far has been the meguires quick detailer in the redish bottle. The NXT stuff is white and when you spray it, little drops get all over parts you don't want to quick detail. Not to mention the little squeze spray mechanizm broke after maybe 15 sprays :(

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
I've never had a problem getting the NXT off, and that was actually after doing the whole car. It could be the heat/humidity maybe?

and the waiting period for waxing a new car is a myth. It's on Meguiar's website.

Factory paint is cured at very high temperatures.
Aftermarket paint jobs use lower temperatures, so you'd have to wait longer after that..

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i was in teh shade but it was very hot and very humid. thats why im giving it the benefit of the doubt and taking a stab at it on a cooler day

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I will chalk this one up to humidity and try again next time.

NXT has two wax's. Ones the normal synthetic wax that is a liquid like a lot of other wax's.

Then the other is a quick detailer type wax that is in a spray bottle. Use this one inbetween waxes, although I dont like it as much as meguires's other quick detailer in the red bottle.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think the NXT spray on Wax is just that Wax, I think it is just ment to be a booster wax when you dont have time to do it the normal way. Quick detailer is different in that it needs a good wax base for it to work. A good sign that you wax is waring of is when you use quick detailer and it starts to get hard to wipe of, thats a good indicator that its time to Wax.

Meguiars quote
Introducing Meguiar's Next Generation of Technology...Engineered Synthetic Polymers (ESP) The fastest way to re-energize your gloss and protection. Meguiar's NXT Generation Spray Wax builds on the results you have already achieved with NXT Generation Tech Wax. It's a spray-on "Booster Wax" that adds protection with superior polymer technology (ESP's) while restoring the deep, dark, wet-look shine. Use it dry for fast touch-ups, or use wet after washing your car to quickly restore the "Just-Waxed" look.

·
Registered
426 Posts
To remove wax or reside, Meguiars recommends using their Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner , they also have a Residue Removal Kit that'll remove wax build-up from your trim pieces. Do not use Dawn/Dove or any kind of dish soap, contrary to popular belief, it will harm your paint.

Also, check out: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/

Right now, I'm trying to save up for one of meguiar's 6-spd polishers, but I'm still trying to justify it's $220 price tag. :eek:

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Factory paint jobs are cured at high temperatures, so it's ok to wax it soon afterward. I'll be waxing mine this weekend and I'm going to give some Zymol a try.. I think I'll use an orbital buffer with a terry cloth pad to remove the wax.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've got a sh1tty Turtle Wax random orbital slow speed buffer that works great. I get all the wax on the car with it but then hand buff it off. Just remember to buff off in straight lines.

It is probably just the humidity, the wax has to dry and then you buff off what's left and it isnt drying enough.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah they make the wax very evenly distributed. For optimal results you should get a highspeed model but those all cost 10x as much as a basic orbital lowspeed model.

I wont turn my back and have actually convinved two friends to get them.

When looking try to get whatever the smallest one you can find it. I think mine is something like 5" in diameter. My friend has a turtle wax one that is about 2" bigger around and is a pain to work around the curves on the body. It isnt so bad on his car since his E36 BMW is faily flatsided, but it is bad on any other car.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yeah I have a TurtleWax orbital buffer, and it's about 10" in diameter. It's pretty big. So would it be ok to remove wax with its terry cloth pad or would it look weird?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
With NXT, you want to do the whole entire car, and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. You want it to be super dry when you take it off. Also, make sure the car sits in a shaded area while the wax cures.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have tried so many waxes and actually found the NXT wax to be the easiest by far to buff off. I did it in sections in shade, by hand and it couldn't have been easier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ive been detailing cars for 4 years now. and I still trying to find the perfect amount, perfect timing ( how long to wait for wax), what steps to do, etc, etc.

I found that there are no answers and you just need to put all these factors prior:

weather (humidity is a big factor, if it is humid outside, the wax will not haze at all and the wax will be hard to get off), car has to be cool to the touch (very important), if too hot, it just doesnt work.
The waxes you use also are a factor. Some waxes are made to be applied by hand and taken off by hand and some are made to be taken off my machine. Fortunately, I have been using Meguiars products for the past 4 years and nothing but great results.

check out www.autopia.org , and check out the meguiars threads and you can even check out the proper steps needed for paint care.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts