Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say, hypothetically, that a person were to drop a small nut into the intake manifold while removing the carburetor from the 5.7L Mercruiser on his boat. How would this person go about removing this nut, preferrably without removing the entire intake manifold? Would jamming a claw-tool down there damage a valve? I'm just curious, in case this ever happens to me ;)

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
aj7897 said:
Let's say, hypothetically, that a person were to drop a small nut into the intake manifold while removing the carburetor from the 5.7L Mercruiser on his boat. How would this person go about removing this nut, preferrably without removing the entire intake manifold? Would jamming a claw-tool down there damage a valve? I'm just curious, in case this ever happens to me ;)
If at all possible, take the intake manifold off and find the nut. Do not increase the risk of dropping something else down the intake manifold. Plus, if it is a V8, there will be 4 runners on each side of the motor that you will have to send a probe down into each one to find where it went. Take off the intake manifold. Just be more careful next time.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
You could try using one of those extending magnet tools too. They are only about $2 at the parts store. They look like an antenna with a magnet on it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ooops, hate it when that happens. I have tried the magnet and it worked fine. However, I was not dealing with a V8 either!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts