Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.axronline.com/store/show_product/?product_id=3877899

This TITANIUM Big Brake system from ZMI will make Brembo Brakes look like ordinary brake.

It will LAST FOREVER means it will NEVER WORE OUT

It will NEVER HAVE TO BE TURN means NO SMOOTHING out on the rotors

Life time warranty on WEAR, WARPAGE, and CRACKING so this means ZMI will REPLACE YOUR ROTOR straight out, they will GIVE YOU NEW ROTOR.

Compare to stock brake system, this ZMI TITANIUM Big Brake system Will reduce on AVERAGE 30 POUND, that means less rotasion and unsprung weight. So IMPROVE on your handling, IMPROVE suspension reaction, and IMPROVE acceleration.

Will NEVER RUST AND CORRODE on any type of weather "not like Brembo"

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
and it will ONLY cost you $4,000

Iwill admit that it sounds really awesome, but i think dollar for dollar I'd rather replace a set of Brembos than pay that much for brakes that will outlive my car (and a nuclear war, and all the cockroaches).

(cool find though :thumbup: )

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Those things look to be amazing. I can see a dedicated auto-x driver using those but for the street not so much. But wow Id sure like a set of those.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
those look/sound nice. I think I may go with those instead of brembo's. of course, to get those or brembo's, I'd need new wheels and tires. of course, that is going to run me $3000 easy. wow $7k, damn I feel like sht, heh.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Those are the hotness! And they are only $3,500 but with free shipping. Althought they are only for the front, what about the rears?

Beter off buying the Project Mu or Endless full brake upgrade for $2000-3000 or the prodrives for $1500. Cool, none the less.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
phreze said:
Those are the hotness! And they are only $3,500 but with free shipping.
Yeah, it's really not that bad considering it comes with calipers, rotors, lines and pads.

The best part is that the calipers only weigh 5.4 lbs. and the rotors are 4.8 lbs.

Reduction in unsprung weight = priceless :D

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Holy Sh*t! Just when you think you've seen everything. Very interesting, but I'll have to wait and see the verdict on titanium rotors- too pricey to be on the cutting edge. If they prove out- what a way to save substantial unsprung weight. We should be seeing these (titanium rotors) trickle into the race circuits- that should answer all the questions.

Big Sky

·
Registered
27 Posts
Those are nice, bling blang brakes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be skeptical on how well these would work - brake performacne relies mainly on how well a disc can dissapait heat - these brakes dont appear to have a lot of meat in them?

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Snake Oil!

Utterly ridiculous. Highlife is right, you don't really want to take out all the mass out of your brakes for heat reasons.

Never wear out? Probably 'cause they chew through pads like mad. BS. Of course it will wear out.

Then check out how little swept area is left with all those big holes cut into it. Again, not what you're looking for.

And $3500?!? The only thing Ti in there is the dang rotor laser cut from a sheet of Titanium - that just doesn't cost that much.

The ad itself is a total joke. Completely unprofessional with boasts that cannot be backed up and dissing one of the best brake manufacturers out there.

We should be seeing these (titanium rotors) trickle into the race circuits- that should answer all the questions.
I think the fact that AFAIK NOBODY uses titanium brake discs in any major racing category speaks volumes. They use either carbon where allowed (F1 basically) and good 'ol cast iron otherwise. Not on bikes either - where such a design makes sense (a motorcycle's rotor diameter compared to the bike's weight makes it important - and possible - to keep the weight of the rotor down).

You don't see Ti in Mountain Bike rotors either - and the bicycle industry is probably more titanium heavy than any other consumer industry.

Bah! They're just out to separate the ignorant from their money.

edit: LOL just looked again and realized it's not even a vented disc! The holes are all it has for cooling! And check out how thin - just over 1/4" thick! Never warp? Duh huh. The stock disc is a full inch thick!

C

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sketchy

I'd have to agree that this seems very suspect...I couldn't think of how the two materials compared, so I pulled my trusty heat transfer book off the shelf. The thermal conductivity for Pure Iron (different from whats in brakes for sure, but close enough for a comparo) is 54.7 W/m*K at 600 degrees K, which is around 620 F. Titianium is 19.4 W/m*K at the same temp. Thats a pretty significant difference, and I think its safe to say the Ti rotor would hold more heat, and not move it around as well, but the thickness of the rotor probably accounts for that....and is also insane.

Who knows, maybe its the greatest new thing...I don't think I'd put it on my car if I needed a serious brake upgrade. I'd get some Brembos and dump the extra grand into lighter wheels...

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
As Chris pointed out, if these are the real deal- motorsports will pick up on them. If not, then save your hard earned dough.

Big Sky

·
980 Posts
I am awaiting a company to make a carbide rotor. Then it will truly never wear (but will shred a brake pad in no time). I suspect that the stronger your rotor is, the weaker your brake pads will become since all the wear will translate to the pads (which is good). I'm pretty suspicious of these brake kits, and you can be sure that if no racing team is using them today, that its because they have experimented with "Ti" for rotor construction and it has proven unusable.

chris

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
As Chris pointed out, if these are the real deal- motorsports will pick up on them. If not, then save your hard earned dough.
Actually my point is the inverse - if they were the real deal, motorsport would have DEVELOPED them. I can't believe CART teams wouldn't have tried Ti when carbon was banned. All the rules say is that they must be "metal". Same with Superbike.

(basically exactly what Fenshui just said! :eek: )
I am awaiting a company to make a carbide rotor. Then it will truly never wear (but will shred a brake pad in no time). I suspect that the stronger your rotor is, the weaker your brake pads will become since all the wear will translate to the pads (which is good).
Remember that it's also a matter of what works at what temperatures. For example, Carbon/Carbon is the ultimate for stopping power and heat handling (and also will not corrode like those POS Brembo brakes ;) ) - but is completely unsuitable for street use due to the fact they have to get seriously hot before they work right. Cast iron works well at relatively low temperatures.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
I'm having a hard time capturing what Chris is saying;) - last time- these su ck, don't buy them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts