Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Backstory: I have replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, slave and master cylinder very recently.

So a couple weeks ago I was driving and all of a sudden the pedal just started sticking to the floor. Alright, slave cylinder finally went. I changed it out (broke the bleeder valve off the first one, had to buy another one). It drove fine for a while with a really stiff feel, then it stopped going into gear. I figured the master cylinder I put in was a POS as I got it off brand. I changed that out again and it drove fairly well again, with a stiff clutch and a little bit of fighting to get into gear for a day. Then it just got harder and harder to get into gear.

Every time it would get harder to get into gear, I would adjust the pedal out farther. This would make it so it would go into gear again for another day or so, then it would stop going into gear again! This is a bizarre problem to me as nothing is leaking, fluid levels are staying where they should be and everything.

Could too high of a gear oil level be an issue? I recently thought that it was empty, so I put quite a bit in, then the next day checked and realized that I put too much it, as the dipstick now reads about an inch above the full line... I know this is not healthy for the car and plan on draining it when I can but would this cause the awful shifting?

My only ideas left are:
The new slave cylinder is bad. That was also bought off brand.
The fluid hose is clogged with something
Gear oil is REALLY messing stuff up
Something in the transmission is going out

My next move was going to be to order ANOTHER slave cylinder (#4 now...), and an aftermarket hose. Would rather not spend $250 on this so I'm posting here to see if anyone has a suggestion of something else to try. Usually when I bleed it, no air comes out. At this point I have bled it so much that all of the fluid is new. I feel like since adjusting the pedal helps, and that over time it goes back to broken, it's not with the transmission. Maybe I'm wrong with that train of thought though!

Side question: how far should the slave cylinder piston(?) travel? It seems like it might not be pushing out enough, but I have no frame of reference for this theory...

Also a quick edit: When engine braking, the transmission has started to make an odd noise, not quite a grinding noise, but maybe a rattle? And when I have it in gear, if I get to higher rpms, something seems to be making a slight whining noise. It's hard to tell where it's coming from but it almost sounds like a belt whine. Less than 2k miles ago I got the timing belt replaced and all the pulleys and tensioner. This seems to be pointing at something wrong with transmission as well which is why I'm terrified of blowing it up. Really can't afford to rebuild this car right now..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure you gear oil / transmission fluid is at the proper level and go from there.
This can produce excessive heat and stress on the internal components if over filled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for bumping a month later but I think I have the problem solved, or at least more figured out. After no luck from draining the fluid and changing the slave AGAIN, I decided to take of the slave to try and manually push the clutch fork, and wouldn't you know it, the whole thing fell off. What I mean is, the bolt behind the fork that it pivots on essentially shattered. Completely broke off. I actually have no idea how I was driving the car with that bolt being pretty much gone. Now that I move it though, there's no going back. So now I think the next move is to drop the transmission and replace that bolt? While I'm at it, should I replace the clutch fork as well? the throwout bearing was replaced about 3k miles ago with the clutch and everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts