ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a brand new WRX Sedan. However, it's been test driven by 1-2 people and thus has 55kms on it now. I also red-lined it during test drive. A couple times. (Forgot about breakin)

I'm worried about how it was driven during those test drives before me, and whether they followed the break-in procedure, which I'm assuming they didn't, and Nither did I.

Should I be worried about the red-lining, etc, during those first 40 miles? I'm not sure it's a DEMO car, but just a car with a couple test drives on it.

They have a silver one with 4 miles on it, but I want the WRB one.

Thoughts?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
well, I test drove my 2010 and it had 47 mi on it.. I picked it up a few weeks later with 63 mi on it.. Not only did I redline it during the test drive I stalled it too lol. (not at same time..)

I now have 62,4XX on it.. and it runs like a top. Just recently went stageII actually.. still no issues.

You'll be fine. If that's the car you really want then get it, that's what warranties are for.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
same basic message from me.

Additionally, if you search the web on 'break-in procedure' you will find that some engine builders are of the opinion that since modern engines have their cylinders honed with a finer pattern than the older cars did, the only way to properly break-in a modern engine and seat the rings is to run high RPM under load for a few miles....if you go the old low-n-slow way the hone wears away before the rings are fully seated.

Now, I'm not saying that I believe this, or that I advise this. However, if there is a grain of truth to this theory, the red-lines in test drives may have helped.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you search hard enough I'm sure you could find compression tests from both methods if you are worried about it enough.

Edit: Didn't mean that to be a 'search' post. But you'd likely spend some solid time tracking down both.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Buy the car you want.

A few test drives shouldn't be an issue. If the car is going to fail, it will whether there are 4 or 40 miles on it when you take ownership. As said, that's what your warranty is for.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you search hard enough I'm sure you could find compression tests from both methods if you are worried about it enough.

Edit: Didn't mean that to be a 'search' post. But you'd likely spend some solid time tracking down both.
No worries.

I've actually searched this before when I used to own a sport bike, and came across these other typed of techniques as well.

Thanks for info.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
The factory rev limiter cannot be altered without a means to re-flash the ecu. Dealers do not change the rev limiter from factory default. :nono:

I'm sure mine had its share of test drive beating (63 miles worth including mine) and it runs absolutely fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Definitely get what you want. Mine had 100 miles on it and you can probably use this to help get the price down ;) As everyone else said: if something goes wrong, it will most likely happen within the warranty.

·
Innocent Bystander
48 Posts
I would not worry about it at all. If you are that concerned (for your own reasons) buy one right off the truck or order new. But really there is nothing wrong with the car.......Steve

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
This is why my dealer wouldn't allow a test drive.He said most buyers are paranoid about the number of miles on the car.

If you like the car,get it.It is under warranty anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine had 47 on it when I got it back in april and now I have a little over 11K on it. Runs great and haven't had any issues. Push it to red line now and then too and still comes back for more. I say go for it!

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
rage-wrx said:
This is why my dealer wouldn't allow a test drive.He said most buyers are paranoid about the number of miles on the car.

If you like the car,get it.It is under warranty anyway.
Double-edged sword. No test drive, no purchase...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
Most people would be traumatized if they seen how brand new cars are treated before and after they get to a dealer. Especially "an all new wrx" with the reputation they carry. However, like others have said you will be fine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Most people would be traumatized if they seen how brand new cars are treated before and after they get to a dealer. Especially "an all new wrx" with the reputation they carry. However, like others have said you will be fine.
Agreed. A good friend of mine used to work for a shop that would do tint, alarms, sound systems, etc for high-end dealers (and I mean high-end... Ferrari's, Lambos, BMWs, Audi R8s, he's driven them all). Basically a person would buy the car, say what extras they wanted done and someone from the shop would come pick the car up from the dealer, they would do the work, then the person would pick it up and go home with their new car.

He's told me so many stories of them picking up cars and absolutely raging them. Parking lot donuts, burnouts, 0-100mph runs, etc... all standard practice before the person even picked up the car they just bought.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,722 Posts
Common at all levels, I'm afraid. A while back I had Best Buy do an alarm install on my MR2T...when I got there to pick it up the odo indicated 5 miles of driving had occurred. Given the mean age/disposition of the folks doing the install, I wasn't that happy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealer "preps" new cars before they sell them anyway. I used to rag the hell out of the new cars after we pulled them off the truck. We did a 150 point inspection with a test drive before we sold them. Thats why you'll commonly see brand new cars with 5 or 6 miles on them. "breaking in" a new car isn't really an issue. The factory will give it a good head start before it leaves the plant anyway. Dropping in a replacement crate motor, or any major engine work, I would recommend giving it the 100 mile/go no faster than 55mph grandma treatment. I've never smoked a new engine in a car fresh from the factory. I've seen it happen more than a few times where my friends would put a new engine in and then rag the hell out of it and it start knocking on them a few days later because they're burning all their oil...

·
Registered
902 Posts
And then people go home and post on the forums about the best break in procedure, LOL.

Funny story, a few years ago working at a motorcycle dealer a customer had bought a brand new CBR600RR with an aftermarket exhaust and was very particular with everything including the perfect break in, oil to used, etc...
After having the bike strapped in on the back of his truck he wanted to hear it again so the salesman starts it up and the bike just pegged the rev limiter because the throttle wasn't completely closed from the way it was strapped in. Needless to say that didn't go over to well, LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts