Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a factory STI short throw shifter in my 2002 wrx wagon. I just want everyone to know my input on this subject. I have searched high and low to get an answer about what to go with- sti or aftermarket (non subaru). I finally decided to spend the big bucks and go with the subaru. I was some what influenced by the local tuner, because he stated the obvious that the whole shifting unit is replaced not just the stick and bushing like the kartboy (most popular aftermarket I found). Well here is the my one and only final conclusion----

First off I could have bought two complete kartboys with everything including the shift knob for the price of the sube. That said- did I get my $$ worth? I do not think so. I like the shifter, but I measured up the oem with the sti and other than a smaller diameter, they are exactly the same dimension except the shift stalk itself which has a different design (to make it ss), which would have been the same as the Kartboy. I would be willing to bet that if I poped the STI shifter stick out and put in the OEM, it would shift the same as before (except the bushing is newer). Well, in conclusion- I should have spent less time (1.5 hrs) and less cash ($300 vs $125). BTW, I could not find anything on the factory install. If anyone is interested they can PM me and I will give them my input on how to get it done, but I still suggest saving the $$ and time and by an AF stick replacement and maybe some bushings.
Happy driving.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
thats why I got my sti short shifter done as a dealer option, makes the choice so easy :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts