ClubWRX Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
It would be a track car, although if i'm honest I don't intend on making this a full out weekend track-only type car, but it would definitely get it's fair share of time on the track. My best friend's Aunt teaches professional driving courses at Summit Point and she actually came into a fair share of money during the dot com boom and was wise enough to invest her money. She is in no stretch a insanely wealthy person, but just was able to invest well, has a great job she loves and that gives my me and my friend access to the lift/tools/garage she has and time on Summit Point when the track is mostly closed on occasion. I haven't really been able to take advantage of her offer of tack time since I really don't have a car set-up for it, nor at this time, did I have the money since I was in school and a set of new tires, or a burnt up clutch is something I couldn't afford to handle as this was my DD I was to drive 400 miles from my home to college.

My friend I was talking about got a used Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, which he really loved, but as it goes he sold it about a year later to focus on buying a home with his wife. I honestly don't know what cars the aunt has now, but I remember she used to go through them like crazy. Keep in mind I was a quite a bit younger, but she bought a Ferrari 355, Porsche 911 Turbo S, a couple used Porsche 911s, and she had a fondness for cheaper "performance" cars like a Mini Cooper S, Subaru BRZ, and other cars I can't even remember.
Having a track toy is a whole other money pit. Rarely are things fast enough or best enough (there is always a new best thing). Sonoma Raceway is a very cool complex. It is a fairly tight course and has a dragstrip, too. Jeff Gordon has won there. I will tell you that having an instructor in the car with you is the best way to sharpen your skills. Take advantage of that perk.

I am considering adding Sebring to my Bucket List. I am not sure if I want to put my car and my back through that. However, it would be a cool graphic to add to the front fender. Yes, I have graphics of all the tracks that I've driven on, on the left front fender of my car. The black offers a striking contrast to the white fender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bumping this thread for good reason.

Approximately 3-4 weeks ago I totaled my WRX. It was a hot/humid day and there was a sudden 15-20 minute downpour. I was going over a hill and down into a turn. I was not excessively speeding at all. Speed limit posted for the entire road is 40 MPH. I was traveling 45 MPH. After going over the hill and slightly turning, the car hydroplaned into a grassy area and the steering didn't respond. I went straight in a major pole, surrounded by cement. As you can see in the pictures it shows exactly where all the damage took place. All my airbags deployed, but somehow the airbag deployed directly into my chest and fractured my sternum. I had major bruising/contusions on my legs and arms. At this point I able to have full movement of my upper body. My pecs are still slightly sore, but very much so improved over how it was. Right after I got home from the hospital, it was very difficult to move and extremely painful in my chest and my right arm I couldn't fully lift it up or out. I had to sleep on my back for about 3 weeks, as when you lay on your side, it pushes on your ribs and that is connected to your sternum and would cause a massive amount of pain. Just trying to get into/out of bed took me around 5-7 minutes since the motion of just lowering/raising your back was immensely painful. Anyways, that was just a little bit about my injuries and no worries as it could be much much worse and I am feeling about 75% better now. It is still very painful in my chest when I cough and very painful to sneeze, something I didn't find when I was looking up recovery from a fractured sternum.

Onto my car. My 2013 WRX only had 41k original miles and I purchased it new. I ordered it Nov. 2012, and received it March 2013. The car had full coverage and a 2+ year rider policy. Meaning if I totaled my car, I would receive roughly 20-25% of an equal value of a 2015 WRX with the same mileage of the same model (mine was a base). The math itself I didn't fully understand, but they did give me a generous value for my vehicle of $18,5xx + $5,xxx for the 2+ year rider policy. So I received a check from my insurance company for $23,5xx. I was confused about how the 2+ year rider policy worked, but I knew my car according to KBB selling to a private party was worth between $16,000-$18,500 depending on mileage, condition, options, etc. So I was very surprised to receive the full $18,5xx for the car, but not complaining one bit.

I am out of work for about 1.5 months so that definitely hurts my savings account and now I don't have a daily driver anymore. My priorities have shifted. I originally wanted a used 2015-2017 GT350, but i'll have to put that on hold for a while.

Now I am looking for a used 2015-2018 STi since I need a DD that can be used year round, and it's important that I can use it during the winter months since we do get snow here and my WRX with winter tires was extremely impressive in the snow.

The timing on everything couldn't be worse. As i'm recovering, I also am having both of my bathrooms renovated which was planned months ago and they started about 1-2 weeks after my accident. So, now i'm waiting for the construction crew to be to be finished with the renovations and get back to work and then I can look for a used STi to purchase. Once I am completely ready to drive, my mother has her Honda Fit she said I could borrow until I buy another car. Quite possibly the most boring car in the world to drive, but it is better than having no car and paying for Uber/Lyft to get around which adds up very very quickly.

Here are the few pictures I have...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Might not be the blues but it sure makes you sad.

Time for that gt350 or camaro

I was man. I can't afford a daily and a GT350. The GT350 was possible when I already had my WRX as my daily, but i've had to cut into savings to support myself while i'm out of work. I'm just thankful i'm not hurt as bad as I could've been.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts