ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am a member on most all of the Subaru forums, but I really only post on NASIOC. I have 1250+ posts and a 17+ feedback rating on there.

I own a 2013 WRX in WRB. I bought the car new and ordered it in November of 2012 and received it in March of 2013. I didn't wait long to start doing performance mods to it. As soon as the car hit about 8k miles I went only a bit of a spending spree and the car is what most would consider a stage 2. It looks completely stock on the outside. Exterior wise the only things i've done are add wheel spacers, a vortex generator, shorty antenna, badge delete on the trunk except the WRX logo. I used to have all black headlights that I went ahead and baked in my oven for 30 min., separated the glue, and painted everything black, which looked absolutely amazing and menacing, but I made a big mistake and forgot to leave the reflector chrome area for the DRLs not painted, which made it so I had no high beams. I got into a front end accident a few years ago and my insurance paid for it minus my $500 deductible and the headlights were crushed and had to be replaced so the shop just replaced them with the OEM chrome ones.

Engine wise, I have...

FMS TMIC
Perrin CAI
Perrin Turbo Inlet hose
Perrin Catted DP
Turbo XS C/B
Perrin Turbo Heat-shield
DEI Titanium exhaust wrap around the DP
DEI Reflect-a-Gold partially wrapped on the TMIC
Cobb AP
TurboSmart BPV
Grimmspeed EBCS
NGK Iridium Plugs (1-step colder)
Deatschwerks DW65c Fuel Pump

Tuned by Agile Auto. Made 308/339 @20.5lbs on 93.

As for the drivetrain it has...

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Torque Solution Rear Shifter Bushing
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Group N Trans Mount
Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
Whiteline Gearbox Positive Shift Kit
Torque Solution Rear Diff. Inserts
Perrin Subframe Lockdown Bushings

Suspernsion.

Eibach Front+Rear Sway Bars
Whiteline Rear Swaybar Mount Support Brace
Kartboy Front+Rear Endlinks

Interior.

Full Front+Rear STi seats since I wanted the Leather/Alcantera over the cloth
Anarchy Motive Rough Red Knob in Matte Finish (I have a Cardinal Sin Red one FS in the classifieds)
Prosport EVO Oil Pressure Gauge
Shifter Console custom covered in Alcantera by JPM Coachworks
JPM Coachworks Shift Boot with Red Stitching
JPM Coachworks Alcantera with Red Stitching Arm Rest
Genuine Subaru Red Footwell Illumination Kit -Red
Radio is the European Model which is basically just a small LCD screen that lights up "Subaru" when you turn on the car and its easier to rear which song is playing. Still works with the factory BT and steering wheel mounts.
I have the A-Pillars and the Panel that covers the Radio in Alcantera which I did my myself and used 3M Super 77 Adhesive to make it stick, plus you need a bunch of clips and a heat gun to smooth any wrinkles out.

Before with the blacked out headlights...

Without the chin spoiler...

Just for fun here is the turbo kit off my old Mustang.

I'm hoping to get a GT350 in the short future. I don't plan on selling the WRX and i'm just going to keep it as my DD.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Welcome back!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey, I am a member on most all of the Subaru forums, but I really only post on NASIOC. I have 1250+ posts and a 17+ feedback rating on there.

I'm hoping to get a GT350 in the short future. I don't plan on selling the WRX and i'm just going to keep it as my DD.
Just curious on the GT350 choice? You didn't consider other options?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious on the GT350 choice? You didn't consider other options?
I have considered other options and this is the car I want the most. To me it is the purest and most raw Mustang ever built. It is the last real American Muscle car ever built, that actually handles like a sports car with a flat plane crank V8, the ever elusive 6-speed manual transmission. As we know, the manual transmission is soon to die. I feel like I could write my doctorate thesis on the death of the Manual transmission in American markets. Anyways my dream car when I was in high school was an 03/04 Cobra. I remember seeing them on dealership lots and wishing I could afford to buy one, now I can afford the modern equivalent of an 03/04 Cobra.

I also love C6Z06s, but that is still an option to me as a 3rd vehicle, not my #1 choice, as I can't afford both at the same time and I figure the price of a GT350 will go up and in a few years I can still get a used C6Z06 for a reasonable price.

Also I must say, I only consider any vehicle that is a stick, no automatics at ALL. I never consider any performance vehicle with an automatic in place.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have considered other options and this is the car I want the most. To me it is the purest and most raw Mustang ever built. It is the last real American Muscle car ever built, that actually handles like a sports car with a flat plane crank V8, the ever elusive 6-speed manual transmission. As we know, the manual transmission is soon to die. I feel like I could write my doctorate thesis on the death of the Manual transmission in American markets. Anyways my dream car when I was in high school was an 03/04 Cobra. I remember seeing them on dealership lots and wishing I could afford to buy one, now I can afford the modern equivalent of an 03/04 Cobra.

I also love C6Z06s, but that is still an option to me as a 3rd vehicle, not my #1 choice, as I can't afford both at the same time and I figure the price of a GT350 will go up and in a few years I can still get a used C6Z06 for a reasonable price.

Also I must say, I only consider any vehicle that is a stick, no automatics at ALL. I never consider any performance vehicle with an automatic in place.
I am intrigued that you didn't mention the Camaro. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are both offered with a fantastic Tremec 6 speed. For an even lower cost option, the SS1LE offers world class handling and the LT1 engine with the butter smooth Tremec 6060 (Zax you've heard several of us rave about this transmission, including me, after we upgraded to the SS). All of the 1LE variants (Randy Pobst has a 4 cylinder 1LE as his personal track toy) and all of the Camaro SS models and above carry a track warranty. Just as a matter of record, in a Motor Trend Head to Head telecast, a ZL1 6M (the 10L90 automatic versions are faster still) beat a GT350R in every single performance category (yes faster around a road course - driven by Randy Probst). I might suggest you take a moment to look into the Alpha platform 6th Gen Camaro.

I do get the FPC engine. The wail above 5,000RPMs is a visceral sound. I truly get the lure of the Shelby plate, as well. My Cars & Coffee group held a special premier event for Ford vs Ferrari. We had a couple of the 1st gen Ford GTs and 1 of the second gen EcoBoost variants show up. We had a couple of 68 GT350s, too. However, the star of the show was a 1964 289 Shelby Cobra. I personally, would have been petrified to drive the thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't have a problem performance wise with the Camaro or even Challenger to a lesser degree, but both cars are behemoths IMO, and just weigh extremely too much. I just can't fathom having a performance vehicle that weighs over 4,000 lbs. I really miss the Fox Body days, especially when you could get a coupe and save even more weight. Honestly the ZL1 is just not an attractive car to me. I'm just not a fan of modern Camaros. Also i've driven a few Camaros and Challengers, but I must say the Camaro is worst at visibility. I might as well have been wearing a blindford and could probably see the road better. The only modern Camaro I really liked was the Z/28 which reminds me of the GT350 since it was such a raw car and purpose built. I didn't used to like Challengers either, but now they've grown on me and I actually like them, but would never buy one. The only massive beast of a vehicle I would purchase even though it's an automatic is an SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee and they weigh right over 5,000 lbs, but that to me would be a family car. To me the ultimate family car would be a 2008-2014 Cadillac CTS-V.

I think the GT350R is such an over priced car. You basically get carbon wheels, carbon fiber spoiler, rear seat delete, and a few mysterious "R" marks on the car. Then of course there are the idiots who pay all that money for an R model and pay for the electronic's package to get the big LCD screen, nav, stereo and I believe a backup camera. Basically they're paying $3k for the electronics that adds back the 100+ lbs they were saving and are now completely defeating the purpose. Looking on sites like eBay and Autotrader you'll never never find a good deal on a GT350, but they come up for sale a few at a time on SVTP for around $43-46k with 7-8k miles on them.

The 6060 is a great transmission and excellent to handle all that power. Similar to how good the T56 was in the 03/04 Cobra. Most people pulled them out and sent them to D&D and got them installed with a 26 spline input shaft and carbon fiber syncros and had them upgraded to viper spec. The record holder in a 1/4 mile has a D&D T56 I believe unless he changed to another stick now, but he runs 7s with it in an SN95 Mustang, a 96' I think. I had a Tremec TKO-600 in my 99' GT single turbo Mustang and that was a great transmission as well and handled all that boost while ripping the gears.

I would also love to mod my Subaru some more, but I promised myself I would make it a fun, reliable DD and no more. Once you get past that point of no return, you're ordering pistons, rods, a new turbo, and before you know your DD has turned into your weekend warrior lol

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
I'm not sure why your post was caught by our spam mitigation system. I corrected it. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't have a problem performance wise with the Camaro or even Challenger to a lesser degree, but both cars are behemoths IMO, and just weigh extremely too much. I just can't fathom having a performance vehicle that weighs over 4,000 lbs. I really miss the Fox Body days, especially when you could get a coupe and save even more weight. Honestly the ZL1 is just not an attractive car to me. I'm just not a fan of modern Camaros. Also i've driven a few Camaros and Challengers, but I must say the Camaro is worst at visibility. I might as well have been wearing a blindford and could probably see the road better. The only modern Camaro I really liked was the Z/28 which reminds me of the GT350 since it was such a raw car and purpose built. I didn't used to like Challengers either, but now they've grown on me and I actually like them, but would never buy one. The only massive beast of a vehicle I would purchase even though it's an automatic is an SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee and they weigh right over 5,000 lbs, but that to me would be a family car. To me the ultimate family car would be a 2008-2014 Cadillac CTS-V.
Just to start here: The GT350 is much heavier than the Alpha platform Camaro. The base Mustang GT is some 200-300 pounds heavier than the Camaro SS. The GT350 is heavier than the 6th Gen ZL1 by about 200 pounds (well over 4,000 pounds for the GT350). My 6th Gen ZL1 weighs in at 3890 with the 10L90. The Z/28 was a 5th Gen built on the Zeta platform. It did have the 427 CI naturally aspirated motor from the C6 Z06. The Z/28 has been replaced, in the 6th Gen, by the ZL1 1LE. The ZL1 1LE has the F1 derived DSSV shocks (same type as the Z/28) with all of the advanced aero. The ZL1 1LE has a verified
Nürburgring
time of 7:16. For reference, that is faster than the 991 - 911 GT3 RS.

The CTS-V did not switch to the Alpha platform until 2014. There is no doubt that the Camaro has somewhat limited visibility. It is something that you do adapt too. Personally, I think the AMG GT 63 is a great family car (Ok - I get it that it is ~$150K and that is not the 63S).

I think the GT350R is such an over priced car. You basically get carbon wheels, carbon fiber spoiler, rear seat delete, and a few mysterious "R" marks on the car. Then of course there are the idiots who pay all that money for an R model and pay for the electronic's package to get the big LCD screen, nav, stereo and I believe a backup camera. Basically they're paying $3k for the electronics that adds back the 100+ lbs they were saving and are now completely defeating the purpose. Looking on sites like eBay and Autotrader you'll never never find a good deal on a GT350, but they come up for sale a few at a time on SVTP for around $43-46k with 7-8k miles on them.
Although the tires and wheels add a good bit, there was significant upgrades done to the suspension to take away the wallow and float that the GT350 had. The very nose-heavy GT350 not only had a tendency to either go into limp mode or oil the track (neither car carries a warranty for track use), but was not very friendly (or fast) on the track. In 2017, one oiled the track and cost me a session at NOLA Motorsports.

IMG_0652 (003).JPG

My SS, with the TR6060, at speed at National Corvette Museum Raceway (NCM)

256A6785.jpg

My complements to Zax for helping sort out the video.

This is me in December of 2019 at the AMG Driving Academy at COTA in an AMG GT-R.

Wonderful Track - Great Experience

I would also love to mod my Subaru some more, but I promised myself I would make it a fun, reliable DD and no more. Once you get past that point of no return, you're ordering pistons, rods, a new turbo, and before you know your DD has turned into your weekend warrior lol
I just went with the buy a faster car to begin with strategy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to start here: The GT350 is much heavier than the Alpha platform Camaro. The base Mustang GT is some 200-300 pounds heavier than the Camaro SS. The GT350 is heavier than the 6th Gen ZL1 by about 200 pounds (well over 4,000 pounds for the GT350). My 6th Gen ZL1 weighs in at 3890 with the 10L90. The Z/28 was a 5th Gen built on the Zeta platform. It did have the 427 CI naturally aspirated motor from the C6 Z06. The Z/28 has been replaced, in the 6th Gen, by the ZL1 1LE. The ZL1 1LE has the F1 derived DSSV shocks (same type as the Z/28) with all of the advanced aero. The ZL1 1LE has a verified
Nürburgring
time of 7:16. For reference, that is faster than the 991 - 911 GT3 RS.

The CTS-V did not switch to the Alpha platform until 2014. There is no doubt that the Camaro has somewhat limited visibility. It is something that you do adapt too. Personally, I think the AMG GT 63 is a great family car (Ok - I get it that it is ~$150K and that is not the 63S).

Although the tires and wheels add a good bit, there was significant upgrades done to the suspension to take away the wallow and float that the GT350 had. The very nose-heavy GT350 not only had a tendency to either go into limp mode or oil the track (neither car carries a warranty for track use), but was not very friendly (or fast) on the track. In 2017, one oiled the track and cost me a session at NOLA Motorsports.

View attachment 324926

My SS, with the TR6060, at speed at National Corvette Museum Raceway (NCM)

View attachment 324927

My complements to Zax for helping sort out the video.

This is me in December of 2019 at the AMG Driving Academy at COTA in an AMG GT-R.

Wonderful Track - Great Experience

I just went with the buy a faster car to begin with strategy.
Interesting, I didn't know that about the weight difference.
Sounds like you have a great car man. Although I do agree the GT350R has some significant upgrades, I just can't justify paying around let's say $45k for a regular GT350 and then paying $65k (no way you would find one this cheap, but, for argument's sake) for a GT350R, a $20k difference in which with about $10k I could spend that in suspension upgrades or whatever else I want, both cars would be used in this scenario obviously. I just think we're both from different worlds man. I didn't grow up poor or anything, I obviously was able to enjoy going to the racetrack with my Father often, helping him add performance parts to his 86' GT and I had a 99' Mustang GT in high school, then added a Vortech about 6-8 moths later, but I always went the budget route and always did all the work myself unless I physically didn't have the machinery like a lathe or CNC machine for example and even then when I used to work in a shop I had access to a lift and many tools, if I didn't have the proper tool, my co-worker always has it. Also, like I said I just am not a fan of the looks of the Camaro, nothing to do with a Camaro vs. Mustang thing, as i'm a car enthusiast and any car that offers certain performance features is something I can get on board with.

I get the last part, and wanted an STi, but I saved for a while and at the time was in college at OSU working as a Valet driving my Mother's old Ford Taurus which wasn't worth putting a dime into it to fix it. In case you're wondering it was a 2001, not a newer Taurus SHO. So I needed a reasonably affordable AWD vehicle that could take on harsh Ohio winters. It was the first new car I ever bought.

I'm not an expert in CTS-Vs, but I absolutely love the ones that look like like the 2012 model. I'm so glad that Cadillac is going to release a CT5-V with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its all good. I have a bit of a tendency to speak (write?) out when I see someone mention most any car as the American sports car or muscle car or similar statement and not include the 6th Gen Camaro. I would actually like to point out that I did a little wrenching in days gone by. I grew up on a working ranch. Also, I did a stint in the oil field. My late father had a thing for Jaguars. I've owned a Lotus Europa, TR-6 and TR-8. My better half has owned 19 Jaguars since 1986 (we've been together for 12+ years now). Trust me, I've turned a wrench. You can even make the comment that I'm [email protected] slow on the uptake with that many British cars in my life.

I really get the point on the GT350-R. I own the regular ZL1 (not sure what is regular about a car 200+ MPH car) and not the ZL1 1LE (ZLE in Camaro speak). The ZLE is faster around the road course and there is no denying that. However, the DSSV suspension is not made for daily driving. The front splitter is even bigger and lower (criminy you can't drive over a tennis ball with mine). The rear wing reduces rear visibility (already at nearly zero). The GT350-R has a little of that and you touched on it. First you pay more to get less (weight) and then you pay even more to add all of that weight back in. Unless the ZLE and GT350-R are destined for being garage queens, it doesn't make a lot of sense (cents). Another thing that I've stumbled on, is that buying cars as an investment is as risky a proposition as going to Vegas and putting it all on black. The '58 Fuelee Vette and the Lotus Europa are the only cars that I've owned that would have been worth something, IF I had put them away in storage and not touched them for the past 40 years. At 2X years of age, I wanted to drive them. I did.

Enjoy your Subie. I enjoyed mine, until I heard about the 6th Gen. Worst yet, a couple of guys on here bought one. I wanted faster and there it was. In 2017, at CamaroFest, Al O (Al Oppenheiser) was there with most of the Camaro engineering team. They were showing off the ZL1. I got to shake Al's hand. He reached right out and picked my pocket, too. Yep, seeing and hearing that ZL1 was giving the junkie the first hit for free. Stay active on the board. It needs life, other than old [email protected] like me. New blood and passion is the best medicine.

A little of the Subie in its natural element. The Tail of the Dragon in 2015.
Tail2015.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand man. I used to be hardcore focused on Mustangs and the gospel of them as they were the word of God. In time, i've just taken performance as performance in any form. Admittedly I do have a soft spot for American Muscle cars though. Also to me when I hear a car is going to offer a manual transmission that car company, most likely the performance division within the company has become #1 in my book. Like how Cadillac has decided to offer a manual transmission in a luxury car with big bad V8, Ohhhh man, I just love these guys for doing it.

I still have a lot to experience, car-wise, i'm only 32. So at this point in my life I can really only afford to buy one expensive car at a time. At least my Subaru has been paid off for quite a while. The only money I plan to spend on it are for repair. Kinda like right now it needs a new clutch, and I can hear the header leaking, so i'll just replace it with a performance one.

I think I do have room for a Fox though. I really want an 86' and just to build it from scratch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The best move you can make on that Fox Body is to do a LS1 conversion as your first modification ?.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
This is a move I fully endorse.

I have an unhealthy fixation on cars from the '80s. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I mean, she's right... but not because of that.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have an unhealthy fixation on cars from the '80s. My wife thinks I'm crazy. I mean, she's right... but not because of that.
The late 70s and all of the 80s were a dark time for cars. It also produced wall poster cars such as the 959 and Countach. Who can forget Tom Selleck in that 308.

Particularly right now, I am in no condition to comment on mental health. Would pulling out of my driveway, setting the line lock and roasting down a $1,000 worth of rear tires be considered abnormal?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
If I never see another 4G63 it’ll be too soon.

I too love cars from the 80s!

Alfa GTV6 2,5
Citroën 2CV and BX (especially BX4GT!)
Peugeot 205 GTi and especially T16

and so on.

In Europe everyone loved Tom Selleck but the 308 had a huge engine and tax authorities assumed it was a car only for smugglers.

That left the 208 for hairdressers, aspiring detectives, and the rest. It was the same body but with a 2,0L engine instead. Whether 208 owners wore OP corduroy shorts is unclear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The best move you can make on that Fox Body is to do a LS1 conversion as your first modification ?.

Sorry for the super late reply, but the is complete sacrilege! Those guys i'd see at the track with LS motors in Fox Bodies make me sick, it's just cause I grew up a Ford guy originally though.

If I were to build a Fox, i'd want an 85/86. I just have a fondness for foureyes since I grew up working an 86' my Father had when I was growing up. I would like a coupe to save 200-300 lbs, but a hatch is perfectly fine. I honestly want something tamer than my single turbo 99' GT, but I would pull the SRA like I did on my car and add an 03/04 Cobra IRS and modify it with DSS half-shafts and build a bulletproof subframe, tubular K, C/Os, all Maximum Motorsports suspension goods, D&D Viper Spec T56, 03/04 Cobra interior, and either an N/A Coyote or Terminator swap. Although i'd love to go with a VooDoo from the GT350, those are just a little too pricey for a build i'd try to keep around $20k, even though we know our car budget never stays anywhere close to what we set it at and I haven't even thought about a paint job.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sorry for the super late reply, but the is complete sacrilege! Those guys i'd see at the track with LS motors in Fox Bodies make me sick, it's just cause I grew up a Ford guy originally though.

If I were to build a Fox, i'd want an 85/86. I just have a fondness for foureyes since I grew up working an 86' my Father had when I was growing up. I would like a coupe to save 200-300 lbs, but a hatch is perfectly fine. I honestly want something tamer than my single turbo 99' GT, but I would pull the SRA like I did on my car and add an 03/04 Cobra IRS and modify it with DSS half-shafts and build a bulletproof subframe, tubular K, C/Os, all Maximum Motorsports suspension goods, D&D Viper Spec T56, 03/04 Cobra interior, and either an N/A Coyote or Terminator swap. Although i'd love to go with a VooDoo from the GT350, those are just a little too pricey for a build i'd try to keep around $20k, even though we know our car budget never stays anywhere close to what we set it at and I haven't even thought about a paint job.
Just curious. What ET and trap speed would you be looking at? The GT350 turns 12:30-12:40ish @~110Mph. Would you be building a track car or a strip car?

I know that the original Cobras had a history of snapped half-shafts, so that upgrade would likely be essential. Typically, the type of suspension that is good on a track is not as good on the strip. The same can be said for the tires. You can always have two or three sets of wheels and tires. That would be feasible with the older Fox Bodies. On new cars, with wheels running ~$2,500 and up per set and tires running ~$1,500 and up per set, it gets a bit pricey.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious. What ET and trap speed would you be looking at? The GT350 turns 12:30-12:40ish @~110Mph. Would you be building a track car or a strip car?

I know that the original Cobras had a history of snapped half-shafts, so that upgrade would likely be essential. Typically, the type of suspension that is good on a track is not as good on the strip. The same can be said for the tires. You can always have two or three sets of wheels and tires. That would be feasible with the older Fox Bodies. On new cars, with wheels running ~$2,500 and up per set and tires running ~$1,500 and up per set, it gets a bit pricey.

It would be a track car, although if i'm honest I don't intend on making this a full out weekend track-only type car, but it would definitely get it's fair share of time on the track. My best friend's Aunt teaches professional driving courses at Summit Point and she actually came into a fair share of money during the dot com boom and was wise enough to invest her money. She is in no stretch a insanely wealthy person, but just was able to invest well, has a great job she loves and that gives my me and my friend access to the lift/tools/garage she has and time on Summit Point when the track is mostly closed on occasion. I haven't really been able to take advantage of her offer of tack time since I really don't have a car set-up for it, nor at this time, did I have the money since I was in school and a set of new tires, or a burnt up clutch is something I couldn't afford to handle as this was my DD I was to drive 400 miles from my home to college.

My friend I was talking about got a used Porsche 911 Carrera 4S, which he really loved, but as it goes he sold it about a year later to focus on buying a home with his wife. I honestly don't know what cars the aunt has now, but I remember she used to go through them like crazy. Keep in mind I was a quite a bit younger, but she bought a Ferrari 355, Porsche 911 Turbo S, a couple used Porsche 911s, and she had a fondness for cheaper "performance" cars like a Mini Cooper S, Subaru BRZ, and other cars I can't even remember.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts