Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my godspeed uppipe and samco intercooler hoses this past weekend.

the boost seems to build the same or maybee possibly a little slower MAYBEE. the turbo spool up noise is about the same.

I really thought i would see some big differance!???

there are no apparent leaks, I torqued in correct order, used fireseal 2000f on gasket from manifold to uppipe, then ran it for a day, then the next morning I got an insence stick and checked for leaks with the engine cold. no leaks apparent no weird noises.

I did reset the ecu for this install, do you think i just need to let the computer "learn" the new mods to start really fealing the differance??

Hopefully i will be installing my Godspeed downpipe soon, I'm still waiting for it to arrive, dan aka godspeed, wont be back until the 21st do to a family emergancy. i guess he will ship it out then.?

did the downpipe make a big differance on any of your cars?
how about the uppipe?
and what about the samco hoses?:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
jetguy said:
I installed my godspeed uppipe and samco intercooler hoses this past weekend.

the boost seems to build the same or maybee possibly a little slower MAYBEE. the turbo spool up noise is about the same.

I really thought i would see some big differance!???

there are no apparent leaks, I torqued in correct order, used fireseal 2000f on gasket from manifold to uppipe, then ran it for a day, then the next morning I got an insence stick and checked for leaks with the engine cold. no leaks apparent no weird noises.

I did reset the ecu for this install, do you think i just need to let the computer "learn" the new mods to start really fealing the differance??

Hopefully i will be installing my Godspeed downpipe soon, I'm still waiting for it to arrive, dan aka godspeed, wont be back until the 21st do to a family emergancy. i guess he will ship it out then.?

did the downpipe make a big differance on any of your cars?
how about the uppipe?
and what about the samco hoses?:confused:
If you reset your ECU, it'll take some learning time. I didn't reset mine when I had mine installed and noticed a huge difference right away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
am i suposed to run the hell out of my car after i reset the ecu or just drive normal (slightly agressive)? how long do you think the ecu takes to learn, a tank of gas??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an ebc (sbc-id) I had to turn up the gain and set a couple of points, gain 17, set 57 now gets me 15.5psi. before i had it at gain 14, set 54 15.5 psi.

by the way i wrapped the uppipe in thermo-tech maybee thats why it sounds about the same???

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more observation, after the install , i could rev in neutral and get 10.5psi at redline revs. the next day it would only go to 4.5psi.

befor install(stock uppipe and stock intercooler hoses) if i redlined in neutral ,it wound hardly go above like 2psi.:confused:

maybee thats a sign the computer is learning??

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yes I definately felt a difference immediately. I did not however do an ECU reset during install, so that could be big difference.

When I do ECU resets, I let it idle for a few minutes to learn the idle, then I take it out and drive like HELL for a time or too. Then I drive fairly agressive for the rest of the tank. Works pretty well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
BTW, you shouldn't be getting any (or very little) positive boost pressure when your in neutral. I've never even seen 4.5psi, but I havn't REVed the hell out it while in neutral. I've heard that it's possible to get a COUPLE psi when in neutral, but it should be very brief and hard to get. If you boosted that high in neutral (10psi or more), then something doesn't sound right, that shouldn't be possible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've seen .05 MPa on mine in neutral. I was checking for leaks, revving near redline, letting it drop, revving again, so I'm sure the boost can build if you do it long enough...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what is .05mpa? 7psi??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
glad i'm not the only one that can build boost in neutral

thanks for the round about conversion from mpa to psi. I wish you could have been a little more precice:D

·
2,210 Posts
I've said it before (and I'll say it again): In my experience of numerous ECU resets, it absolutely kills performance for the first tankful of gas. Reportedly the 'learn rate' is actually dependant upon the number of power-up cycles, and not the quantity of miles or driving time logged.

I have not verified this myself, but you might try making lots of short hard runs where you completely power the car off in between the runs. Otherwise, bite the bullet and accept that performance will be bad for that first tank. Don't worry though; it will consume gas in huge quantities immediately after a reset. :D

-Pace

·
Registered
33 Posts
jetguy said:
I have an ebc (sbc-id) I had to turn up the gain and set a couple of points, gain 17, set 57 now gets me 15.5psi. before i had it at gain 14, set 54 15.5 psi.

by the way i wrapped the uppipe in thermo-tech maybee thats why it sounds about the same???
i have the same set up as you with the addition of a cai, downpipe and blitz cat back

youre probably not impressed because of the reset and the fact that its probably over 90 degrees outside

i can tell you from experience that this car likes it cold...over 85 and she runs like sheet....but under 70 it really rips...and under 60 look out!

i live in a strange area where everyday i drive through about a 10 and sometimes 20 degree drop in temps on the way home...its amazing to feel just what effect the temps have on the car

i have to adjust the sbc-id down on the way home...at 90 degrees with a 57/13 ill get 15.5 in third and if i leave it at that setting, half way home it will go up to 16.1 with the same setting at 70 degrees

just something to think about

ps if its noise you want....that downpipe will amaze you (put on the cai and add the blitz catback and youre talking deafining)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i tryed the eyther trick and the was no apperant leak so I guess everything is o.k.

the ecu really seams like it is starting to learn the new mods.
I have put about 120 miles on the car since the mods and each day it is getting stronger and stronger.
I belive it is now stronger than it was before the upgrades!!

Hopefully it keeps getting better over the next 300 or so miles!

one other thing i noticed, from a dead stop it is much easyer to get going. befor i would have to look at the tach and keep it around 1200 rpms when realeasing the clutch or i would make a mistake and rev to high, like 2000rpms. Now it is effortless and smooth!!!

tomarrow I will be installing an oil catch can if it arives before work
this stuff is soo fun!!!.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.